News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Restoration Project.

Started by dystopia, May 02, 2007, 12:16:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimShine

Wow! A factory headrest equipped 1968! Those are rather uncommon!

chargercraig

wow great looking car to start with. use the build sheet and your car will be real valuable  :yesnod:

dystopia

Been working on the inside too. The back seat should be fine. Just some TLC. the two front seats aren't in very good condition. The leather is cut and the foam is obviously bad.

terrible one

Quote from: dystopia on June 15, 2007, 12:54:18 AM
Been working on the inside too. The back seat should be fine. Just some TLC. the two front seats aren't in very good condition. The leather is cut and the foam is obviously bad.

New seatcovers are available, and you can cut some foam yourself or have an interior place/person cut it for you and/or install the seat covers.

The70RT

Quote from: dystopia on June 14, 2007, 09:30:48 PM
Been working on sanding the roof. It doesn't seem to be going very well. I'm using 40 Grit Silicon carbide sandpaper on a Orbital DA sander. Does it just take forever or am I doing something wrong?  Picture is after about two hours of sanding.

Here is a thread on roof rust I started a while back before I did mine.....by the way mine turned out to be satisfactory to me. Now just the finish work is left........doing that as we speak. Hope this helps. A lot of help on the site by some guys that have done some excellent work.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,26182.0.html
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

scottmiller

You have a nice solid car to start with from what can be seen in the pictures.

As far as cost goes, here's what I recently learned:

1)  Rough together some numbers on a spreadsheet by coming up with a list of what you need to have done and want to buy. 
2)  Add all those figures together to come up with a total.
3)  Take the total sum and multiply it by 2.  That should get you close to a final #. 
4)  Keep that number to yourself (very important)
5)  When/if the wife asks "how much is this going to cost", multiply the original sum (from step 2) by 50% and give her that figure. 

The beauty of this system is that the 50% figure gets her initial "buy-in". 

Once you burn through that $$, you are beyond the "point of no return" and the rest of the money simply has to be spent to get the thing off the blocks in the front yard.

I love it when a plan comes together.

-Scott

konigcharger

:haha: :haha: listen to this guy he is a very smart man

If you have no vision or creative spirit, you can always fall back on the way the factory did it.

dystopia

I just want to say thanks for the good advice, Ill try to post some progress pics in a week or two.

skip68

Nice car.  :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: looks real good and solid.  great score.    Chuck............
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

gordo1968charger

as scott said,the wife will be the big stumbling block,they ll never understand.
rule 1: hide money,never tell her about it ever!
rule 2: get any parts delivered to your workplace.
rule 3: graft your knackers off to pay for all your parts,without getting into debt.
rule 4:stop drinking beer,charger restoration parts are better value for money.

hope this helps.i ve got 4 kids.
gordo
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs