News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

can't melt the tires with my 69-383. Wassup???

Started by CB, May 01, 2007, 11:40:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CB

:icon_smile_dissapprove:
My car looks mean and fast but it doesn't melt the tires. I thought you could easily fry the tires with a 383. Just standing still, floor it and get the wheels spinning. Mine gets launched but doesn't melt the 275's. Do I run wrong gears, would the exhaust (now: headers to rear with flow master and alsoa  rebuild trans) take away low end power?  :shruggy:

Or what else should be necessary to improve torque?
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

moparguy01

Whats wrong with having a good solid launch?? I guess I just dont understand you guys that just want to melt tires.

CB

Quote from: moparguy01 on May 01, 2007, 11:49:43 AM
Whats wrong with having a good solid launch?? I guess I just dont understand you guys that just want to melt tires.

it just gives me something like: you don't mess around with brute power thing.
I felt a little dissapointed getting her back and not doing even a tiny bit of spinning
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

moparguy01

well your trans could be the problem, you might have some real tall gears (like a 2.76) stuff like that affects being able to spin the tires, also tires can make a difference as well.

74Charger

What gears and stall are you running?  My 440 was a dog off the line with a stock stall and 2:73 rearend. 

I changed the stall to a 2600 and installed a 3:91 suregrip unit.  It really woke the car up.  Like night and day!!!

Like going from a 318 car to a 440 car!  I can fry the tires at will now!!! :icon_smile_big:
74' Charger
03' 2500 4x4 CTD

CB

I might say that my engine will be tired, she sat for 12 years, that could have opened the fence and let some ponies escape :)

Stall=unknown
gear will be 3.54 (sure grip)
trans = rebuild
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

John_Kunkel

Two words for the underpowered, Neutral Drop.

Explosion risk? Sure, but in the quest of tire smoke........... ::)
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

max

Quote from: John_Kunkel on May 01, 2007, 03:35:55 PM

Two words for the underpowered, Neutral Drop.

Explosion risk? Sure, but in the quest of tire smoke........... ::)

:haha: John, i thought you would've atleast suggested water under the tires. you caught me off guard on that reply. :icon_smile_big:

bordin34

my 74 318 727 will smoke the tires a little bit from a slow rolling start, about 5 mph. It will smoke them for 15 feet from a standstil without standing on the brake.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

resq302

My 383 4 bbl had a problem with the BF Goodrich Radial T/A's not being able to smoke them I guess cause of the tread design or what not but with the repro bias plys on there..... look out.  That thing breaks loose all the time now.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Ghoste

I think of all the money I've wasted trying to get my tires NOT to spin.  :D

LargerCharger383

Quote from: moparguy01 on May 01, 2007, 12:16:45 PM
well your trans could be the problem, you might have some real tall gears (like a 2.76) stuff like that affects being able to spin the tires, also tires can make a difference as well.

I had an open 2.76 rearend with my car that has a 69 383, and i could BARELY turn over my 12" wide tire.  The biggest problem for me now that i changed out the rearend is the front brakes slipping and the back ones catching too early, I'd take a look at your brakes and make sure everything is copesetic back there before launching into the tranny or heavy engine modifications. my  :Twocents:

tommymac

Tires,my TA,S wont spin either but the old firestone Super Sports Burn whenever you want! unless I power brake like hell.

71ChallengeHer

Years ago, I had a 383 Barracuda. This car would not break loose. I took it to the garage I was working at. This guy was a Mopar man. He rebuilt my distributer with racing springs , not sure what else he did. He had the distibuter cranking 8500 rpm's on the dist. machine. Put it back in the car. That Barracuda could break loose and just fry the tires after that. And that's all he did to it.

ck1

I don't get it, when I first got my car 1968 charger 383 4bll 727 and 140,000 tired miles on it, and the first time I stopped on it, "and only time" with a one wheel drive rear end 323 gears, I laid a patch about 90 feet and blew a motor mount.  But I know after I put a suregrip in it afterwards and a friend helped with the motor mount it hooked really good and was harder to smoke the wheels which i just felt it was better not ot do. when I get my car done I might cherp the tires but smoke shows to me are just to hard on my car.........
CJK

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Ghoste on May 02, 2007, 09:32:37 AM
I think of all the money I've wasted trying to get my tires NOT to spin.

:iagree:  I've gone on record as stating that spinning tires is a useless gesture and proves nothing but I'm obviously in the minority.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

74Charger

I am not so sure that everyone who says that they would like to be able to fry their tires.  Goes around everywhere lighting them up. :rotz: 

To me its about owning a muscle car as fine as a Charger.  And knowing if I wanted to.  I can fry them at the drop of the pedal.

Not to mention its always fun to chirp the tires, when a little ricer car pulls next to you and wants to mess with you.   :icon_smile_big:

74' Charger
03' 2500 4x4 CTD

BMOTOXSTAR

Tires & Smoke are like beer & pretzels. They go great together. :yesnod:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

68MoparCharger

Quote from: 74Charger on May 03, 2007, 05:45:31 PM
I am not so sure that everyone who says that they would like to be able to fry their tires.  Goes around everywhere lighting them up. :rotz: 

To me its about owning a muscle car as fine as a Charger.  And knowing if I wanted to.  I can fry them at the drop of the pedal.

Not to mention its always fun to chirp the tires, when a little ricer car pulls next to you and wants to mess with you.   :icon_smile_big:

I agree.  It's just the fact that you can do it.  I remember that I couldn't smoke the tires when I had a 2bbl on my 383, I threw on some performance parts and the smoke came poorin out of the wheel wells a few times.  Then my hunger for smoke was satisfied  :icon_smile_big:, and I don't smoke 'em now because I don't like having to buy new tires more what is necessary.
"Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire!" - Metallica

CB

QuoteI agree.  It's just the fact that you can do it.  I remember that I couldn't smoke the tires when I had a 2bbl on my 383, I threw on some performance parts and the smoke came poorin out of the wheel wells a few times.  Then my hunger for smoke was satisfied  , and I don't smoke 'em now because I don't like having to buy new tires more what is necessary.

yep, the fact you can't do it, gives me frustration.
fry them on the drop of the pedal, that's what I am looking for. Not a burn-out by using 2 feet.
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Ghoste

I'm being somewhat tongue in cheek.  I'd be a liar if I said I've never tried to make a little tire smoke, or that I get a big grin when the car leaves a couple of Charger tracks on the pavement.  But still, I have spent a lot of money and time over the years trying to make my cars not be able to spin the tires.

BMOTOXSTAR

Man my 318 Satellite would smoke the piss outta' the tire with the stock skinny's, I put on some wider TA' and now I have to mash the pedal to the floor to get some smoke ! :RantExplode:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

BlueSS454

Quote from: resq302 on May 01, 2007, 10:16:12 PM
My 383 4 bbl had a problem with the BF Goodrich Radial T/A's not being able to smoke them I guess cause of the tread design or what not but with the repro bias plys on there..... look out.  That thing breaks loose all the time now.

That kind of suprises me Brian.  I had BFG Radial T/A's on my Olds a few years ago and even with the stock 307 the car used to have would boil them off the rims with little effort.  Wonder if they updated the compounds in those tires.

Back to the 383, something isn't right there.  Have you dialed in the timing on the engine yet?  It sounds like it may be a bit too retarded.
Tom Rightler

68chrgrwife

maybe just operator error???  I had that problem with the chally, but we fixed that easy enough..just 2 min. in the car with hubby to show how it's done....LOL
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
LOVING MY HUBBY: CHARGERMAN68
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER: SOLD :(
1968 DODGE CHARGER RT CLONE (OK, SO IT'S HUBBY'S BUT IT'S MINE TOO, RIGHT?)
2008 DODGE CHARGER
2005 DODGE MAGNUM R/T (YES IT'S GOTTA HEMI)!

resq302

Quote from: BlueSS454 on May 04, 2007, 11:00:46 PM
Quote from: resq302 on May 01, 2007, 10:16:12 PM

That kind of suprises me Brian.  I had BFG Radial T/A's on my Olds a few years ago and even with the stock 307 the car used to have would boil them off the rims with little effort.  Wonder if they updated the compounds in those tires.

Back to the 383, something isn't right there.  Have you dialed in the timing on the engine yet?  It sounds like it may be a bit too retarded.

Tom,

Maybe one day you can come up and help me "fine tune" the charger and you can get some details for yours off of my car. :haha:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto