News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stock Appearing Drop Base???

Started by i c e b l u e, May 01, 2007, 11:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

i c e b l u e

I am currently running into a slight hood clearance problem as the top of my air filter will rub a little on my hood insulation. I have searched for this topic and could not quite find what I am looking for. Is there a 13" OD drop base available or do I have to make my own. I have heard that ford makes one but I don't know the part#. If I do have to make one, can I use the K&N drop base and cut it and weld a 13" ring on. I only need about 3/4" more clearance as I am putting on a 1/2" four hole spacer. I know K&N has a 1.25 drop 14"

Shakey

This should get you started.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,11325.0.html

I was pretty sure he had a thread about his set up that had photos of the air cleaner.

Maybe it was when he was talking about his coil.

Try some other key words in the search.

471_Magnum

Yes. The Ford Motorsport air cleaner is 13" diameter. It's a 1" drop IIRC.

Note that most drop bases are contoured to fit Holley's. You may have an issue with Carter/Edelbrock carbs. Clearance to the kick-down linkage can be a problem too.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

i c e b l u e

thanks shakey the ford part# was in the link, looks like im g2g order one up so i can put my hood back on when i get my charger home

Just 6T9 CHGR

FWIW I hooked up my kickdown linkage just for asthetics ;) with no clearance issues.

With this drop base you run into an airflow issue since there is so little space between the air horn of the carb & the top of the aircleaner.

For this reason I upgraded to the Pro-Form main body that does away with the choke air horn
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Charger-Bodie

all i did on my base is pushed the center up until i had the right amount of drop unless you dont have a base or just dont want to mess with the original one its really the way to go because you can fine tune it so you as much flow area as possible while havin the hood clearance just right too
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............