News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

tightening up the steering

Started by bigeric73SE, April 29, 2007, 11:30:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigeric73SE

Is there an adjustment to tighten up the steering on a 73?  There's soo much play in the steering wheel makes uncomfortable to drive  :-\  If so where and how do i do this?? 
thanks
Eric

Charger1973

The steering isnt a great gear ratio from the factory, but its not as bad as you describe (to me anyways).  First thing I would do is check ALL of your front suspension parts for play. You might have something down there thats worn clear out. 

I know theres a company now thats making a faster ratio steering box too.  I remember seeing the manual steering box but im not sure if they do power steering too.  I dont remember the link either, hopefully someone else knows it.

71ChallengeHer

jackel440

my 72 has like 1/4 to half of a turn of turn wheel when i drive mine.changed everything else and it is my gearbox.so i know what you mean.never know which way it's gonna go when you put on the brakes :RantExplode:thats why i got another box to swap on. :D

hemihead

Some of you people are so used to Rack and Pinion steering that you don't realize that factory Mopar steering was naturally sloppy.That is one thing that Mopar was often criticized for when these were new.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: bigeric73SE on April 29, 2007, 11:30:34 AM
Is there an adjustment to tighten up the steering on a 73?  There's soo much play in the steering wheel makes uncomfortable to drive  :-\  If so where and how do i do this?? 
thanks
Eric

Yes there is a way, adjusting the worm and shaft location with the allen bolt located on top of steering box to compesate the wear and tear of internal pieces. Now I don't know how exactly make that, but I know is there where is adjusted.

Yesterday a Mopar owner ( 62 dodge Phoenix and 60 De Soto ) told me that you can make the steering pump get lowered the pressure to feel harder the steering, more like a manual box and make it stronger at high speeds. That it looks to be simply removing some kind of washers inside the pump, at the high pressure hose input where a valve is located. Didn't get completelly the way but I can get accurated info.

ANYWAY check before at the steering coupler box. You can get broken the spring and that is cause of play on steering wheel.

Kits are available at www.buymopar.com, cheap.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

John_Kunkel

Tightening steering wheel slop by tightening the sector shaft adjuster on the box can be a risky business.

Worm/sector shaft wear usually occurs within a few degrees of straight ahead, adjusting out the play with the wheel centered can cause it to be too tight when turned a few degrees off center; it can bind and be reluctant to return to center from a turn.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

RogerDodger

Be sure to check the idler arm and pitman arm. A little play in either of them will be noticed in the steering.

bigeric73SE

ok thanks a lot guys, very helpful.  The pitman arm has a bit of wear so i just ordered a new one today.  We'll see if that helps.
Thanks
Eric

jackel440

i did adjust my box last night and it took most of the slop out. :yesnod:
I haven't drove it yet to see how it will do yet though.I was hesitate to do it because my old power wagon was as bad as my car and it wouldn't adjust.so i had to put  on another box.well anyways it did tighten up so maybe i won't have to swap it after all.