News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

small block advice please

Started by jackel440, April 13, 2007, 08:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackel440

hey guys!
  I know i have talked about building a 360 for my charger and i have been aquiring parts for it,but I know that I am not going to be able to get it done this year.So instead of rushing and cutting corners just to get it in the car.I decided to wait and take my time with it.Plus with the kids in scouts,baseball,and the horses I don't have tons of cash for gettn it done quickly.Well here is my question.My car has the orignal 318(72' automatic stock convertor)2V with a/c.It runs great just can't get this old beast out of its own way. :brickwall:
So i thought of going ahead and putting a new timing chain and cam in the 318 swap to a four barrel intake and carb.and put on a set of headers.Then I can atleast enjoy it this summer.I wanted to get a air gap intake (edelbrock)since i could use it on the 360 later.I have a 750 performer carb.also have a factory iron 4v intake laying somewhere.
I thought about buying a set of Summit racings headers.heard some good things about those. ::)
I also looked at thier cams,sum-k6900  262/272  .420/442  or sum-6901  276/286  .441/.441
I wondered if the 6900 would be a good piece for me.I know you guys have lots of experiance and can tell more from the numbers than i can.I would like to keep from pulling the heads from the motor if possible.would i need to change the stock springs?I can change them if i need to.I would like to do this when i get the time to rebuild the frontend.(have all the parts)
  what do you think on the intake,run the old stock 4v i have or go ahead and get the Eddy so i have it for the future? :scratchchin:
  trying to keep this cheap so i can have fun this summer.thanks guys ;)

jackel440

71ChallengeHer

I have a original dual plane intake on my 318 and a 600 cfm Eldebrock. The motor has a mild cam in it. This combo works well. And the 318 is snapping.   :drive:

jackel440

Quote from: 71ChallengeHer on April 14, 2007, 02:28:32 PM
I have a original dual plane intake on my 318 and a 600 cfm Eldebrock. The motor has a mild cam in it. This combo works well. And the 318 is snapping. :drive:
Is that a factory cast 4 barrel you have?I have one someone gave me years ago.I just want to pep the car up as i am sick of the lame 2brl. on it.
do you know what cam you have in your engine?I thought for the little money I'd have in a few parts from summit the car should wake up for a nice cruizer for this summer.The kids want me to get it out,but i need to get the frontend done.and now my boy wants me to smoke the tires and it won't do it right now :flame: 7yr olds for ya ."go fast daddy" :D

mikepmcs

you are on the right track with a 4bbl intake and some headers along with an exhaust that will breathe.. what rear are you running gear wise, that can make a heck of a difference if you just want an initial snap and no long end.  depends on tire height as well so include that.

how old are your springs.  you say stock so does that mean original. Those can't hurt if seat pressure comes in to play. I don't know much about the cam selection although maybe a smaller cam will get you up on plane quicker.
I'll let Ron and Chryco decipher that one.

dual plane intake is a good choice as you said and if you can afford the one you can use later on it probably can't hurt.  that 750 might be a little stout but you can tune it for your current application for now but you might get some low end stumble.

not much help from me I know but throwing things out there to think about and most of all bumping this to the top so the engine gods can see it.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

71ChallengeHer

It's a factory cast 4 barrel intake. Mine had the single plane and POS 2 barrel on it when I bought it. But with the mild cam , it fell on it's face. I also have headers and H exhaust with Flowmasters. And it does fry the tires . :punkrocka:  And I think your carb is a little too much, you might want to go smaller. 600-650 CFM. IMO

jackel440

I have an old holley thats probably smaller that will need rbuilt.I  know i have the highway gears in the rear 2.90 something probably.that is what is killn me espescially with the taller rear tires.I just want improve what i got for this summer.
yeah i hope chryco or ron or someone can give me an idea of which cam would be the most bang for the buck.
oh yeah the springs are definatly the orignal 72 pieces. ::)
I thought of going ahead and using the stock cast iron intake for now.unless I go ahead and spring for the Eddy one. :scratchchin:
just lookn for some cheap HP  :rofl:

Chryco Psycho

I would look at a K54 Engle grind , their are not many ntakes designed for the small port 318 heads but something small like the Mopar M1 stock repro intake with a 600 CFM carb max , a small stall converter in the 1800 - 2200 rpm range will help a lot too
there were a few 4 bbl 318 engine built in th elate 80s so you might find one of those intakes

jackel440

Chryco,
     Thanks for the advice.I looked up the engle cam on thier website and I tried to call ,but they most have been closed as i didn't get anyone.I was going to ask engle about the springs.Would I need to change the springs?will i need to worry about valve retainers hitting the guide on these heads?I don't know what you can run lift wise before you have to worry about inteference.
If the factory intake i got is for a 360 it would bolt up correct,just the ports would be bigger than the heads?I suppose that would probably kill flow into the heads.
     I will have to look into a cheap convertor.I imagine that would help alot with the tall gears correct?
I will try and get the numbers off the intake tonight.hopefully i can find out what it is from. :scratchchin:

davidlclassic

I bought the performance package from Jegs, it includes the performer intake, 600 cfm edelbrock carb, cam and lifters, and installed in my 71 318, I was going to buy the headers from summit but my charger has a/c and the headers from summit will not fit, didn't have the money to buy anything more expensive so I went back with the stock exhaust manifold, after working out all the bugs my 318 runs pretty strong.
Boyz Under The Hood Inc.

Chryco Psycho

with most cam swaps especially where the springs are 30+ years old you need to upgrade the springs , .520 lift is about max without trimming the guides down
using a 360 is not the best but getting a small port 4 bbl intake is not easy & yes the 360 intake can be used

davidlclassic

chryco I went back stock springs but they are new, do you think that is ok with the performer cam, I think it is almost stock anyway.
Boyz Under The Hood Inc.

Chryco Psycho

hard to say , if the lift & duration is similar a stock spring SHoudl be adequate

davidlclassic

Thanks, I was reading an old Mopar Musle mag and saw an artical on valve springs, It was saying how critical the springs are.
Boyz Under The Hood Inc.