News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

When people approach you about your Charger......

Started by JR, April 29, 2007, 10:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparguy01

Quote from: Zentelis on May 01, 2007, 10:22:34 AM
I'll be using the liter rating with the import folks..it translates better.

Them: "Yo, what engine does that have?"
Me: "7.2 liter"
Them: " :eek: :eek: :eek: That's like 10 times bigger than my engine!"

"So let me get this straight, my 2 liter of mountain dew is bigger than your engine???  :D"

PocketThunder

Quote from: Zentelis on May 01, 2007, 10:22:34 AM
I'll be using the liter rating with the import folks..it translates better.

Me: "440"
Them:  ??? ??? "Is that a lot?"

Vs.

Me: "7.2 liter"
Them: " :eek: :eek: :eek: That's like 10 times bigger than my engine!"

I haven't had a chance to say it yet, but the reaction should be similar   :D
And then I'll tell them it's not for sale hehe

I use that one all the time.  If i guess that the person asking is younger than i am (32) then i say 7.2 liter.  If its an older person then i switch to 440. 
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Charger_Fan

You could always tell them the "after overbored" size, like 452 or... :icon_smile_big: That would give their little scalps-a-scratchin'.  :ahum:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

volk68

I have been on both sides of this fence.  When I was looking for my car, I spent a lot of time searching driveways, fields, and everywhere else I could think of for an older Mopar.  I still do.  I have stopped countless places to ask if a car is for sale, too.  Sometimes people were really nice to me, and sometimes they were jerks.  Depending on how they treated me, I would even walk away angry sometimes.  Of course, the only people that really offended me were the ones who had a car in need of a complete resto just rotting away.  They have no intentions of restoring it, but they won't sell it either.  They just let it rot away.  I know of a 68 Coronet R/T in that condition right now.

As a Charger owner now, I try to be cool to people wanting to buy it and turn them down politely.  What DOES irritate me is when they rant and rave about the 454 Hemi Charger 4 speed they owned back in the day with 600hp from the factory  ::)  Sometimes people scoff because I "only" have a 440 in it, and it pisses me off a little.  Still, they have to watch me drive away in it while they crawl back into their Rice box.  Most of the time, people are just complimentary.

hemihead

Yes it is amazing how many people think that something is always For Sale.I guess they think the owner doesn't know what the value of the car is
and they will get it for $75 or something.Then there is the so called Mopar experts who don't even know the difference between a Plymouth and Dodge. But as I read these stories I think about how many people do the same thing looking for cars.And I don't think anyone can say they don't give low ball offers when they buy one.Everyone has the attitude of : What is mine is gold and what anyone else has isn't worth anything.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

hemi-hampton

This Lady in my Neighborhood had a Hemi Orange 70 Roadrunner always sitting in here Driveway. One Day I stopped to ask if For Sale, She cops a major major attitude & goes on a verbal rampage, Spouting I must think she's stupid because she's a girl, She's sick of people offering here 2 or 3 grand like she's stupid. So I say OK, Then how much do you want. She sez real Quick I want $7,000. I say OK. I'll be back tomorrow with 7grand. Came back next day with 7 grand, She would not answer door or phone for a week. Obviously blowing me off. So, I go buy The Charger I got now instead. About 6 months later I see her Husband out washing Car. I say remember me? The guy that was going to buy for $7,000, He sez Yeah, Hows it going. I say what happened? Came back with the Funds but Blown off. He sez Wife changed Her mind because She thought She could get more (made me wonder why she said she wanted 7k when I asked?) What happened was I said Yes to Quick to the 7k. If I would have complained & haggled she might have went for it. SO, I tell husband It's OK, I bought this Charger instead. Being a unrestored original unmolested Survivor with original paint & 24,000 miles & zero rust he thought I made a much better choice, I agreed. My plan was to turn the Roadrunner anyways to aquire more needed funds for Charger anyways. LEON.

Silver R/T

Quote from: hutch on May 01, 2007, 08:25:07 AM
Tell em its a two stroke titsomatic with a left handed box pumper.

lol thats good one
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

DodgeChargerNeeded

I don't think it hurts to ask if a car is for sale if you are actually seriously interested. Just because there is no for sale sign doesn't mean its not for sale. Never know until you ask.
Jeff

pettyfan43

I don't think it would be so bad if the people that asked were serious or weren't such BSers. But the guy that shows up at my house thinking he can buy my 66 Charger (still has original paint and is STRAIGHT and solid) for 650 bucks is gonna leave with his breath smelling like tennis shoe leather!

resq302

My general reply to the "Is it for sale?" is "What do you think its worth?  Ok, keep adding zero's to the end of your price and I will tell you to stop when it is enough."  That usually either gets them to walk away or give them a good laugh.  Either way, I still go home with the car.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

bull

It's very, very simple. If you really do have the money to make a serious cash offer for what a given car is worth, go ahead and ask if the owner will take (insert amount here) for it. If you don't have the money to make a serious cash offer for what it's worth shut the F up and don't bug him about buying it. Why do people think it's fun to make rediculous offers and then proceed to provide verbal lists of what's wrong or incorrect? Just express your appreciation by saying say, "nice car," and then run along.

Mike DC

Everybody's trying to find a cheap deal on a Charger.  Nothing morally wrong about fishing for a low seller. 

But yeah, some of these "buyers" actually get rude when you don't jump at the chance to sell your car for a fraction of its market value. 
I don't understand that mindset.  It's uncalled for.

Lord Warlock

I really don't mind people who ask if I'd sell mine, only a serious person will actually knock on the front door to ask questions or make an offer.  I've done the same thing to people in the past.  What sets me off is the stories they tell, that are so blatently wrong.  Like a horribly beat up chevelle owner at a show this weekend, claiming to have a blown corvette in the 70s with 1200hp (guy was in a wheelchair) in the 70s, blown cars might have had 500hp, at the best 600.  Normally i let them talk, and don't rain on their parade.  BUT if someone comes to the house and interrupts my afternoon to make an offer on my car, i expect a real offer, not a lowball waste of time offer.  Over the years i've had a few real attempts to buy it, with offers over 10k as it sat. 

I do get tired of does it have a hemi?   A good response to those making offers that bring up is it a hemi 4spd is: you can't afford a hemi 4spd.  You can't afford a hemi.  I doubt you can afford a 440 based on your current transportation.  Unless they are driving a 50k car, you know they probably can't afford your car either.  Very few can afford a real R/T SE at a realistic price.  But then again, every now and then you do run across the rare great deal by walking up and asking with cash in hand. 

As for the guy who slapped 500 on the hood, i would have picked up the $500, and tell him he's just paid to correct the scratches he made in my 15,000.00 paint job. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.