News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How Hot is To Hot?

Started by pb24, April 29, 2007, 08:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pb24

I have a '68 Charger, 383 with A/C. I loaded the family in it and was heading to a cruise-in, driving down the freeway at 55 mph, it was about 88 degrees out, when I noticed the temperature gauge climbing. Which is unusual for my car. It got to almost 230 degrees, I've never had my car get this hot and it never did overheat. I went throught the radiator about a year ago and replaced the thermostat at that time, the fan clutch and water pump are new. I don't understand why it was running so hot.

I have only owned the car for a little more than a year and didn't take it out much last summer. Most of the time it runs between the 170 and 230 degree mark on the guage. On the way home, it was cooler outside and it still ran hot but not as hot as it did earlier.  To me is seems that the car got too hot. Is this normal?

firefighter3931

When you say you "went through the radiator" does that mean you re-cored it ? Boiled it out ? replaced it ?

Overheating can be caused by several things ; cavitation in the waterpump, air pockets in the cooling system, air leaks in the cooling system, retarded ingnition, lean jetting, cracked heads or block, blown headgasket etc.....

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

pb24

The radiator was cleaned and A few leaks repaired. I don't see any signs of a blown head gasket. The timing is correct. I let it get up to operating temperature with the radiator cap off, I gave it a little gas and the circulation in the radiator looked pretty good. Is that a sign that the thermostat is opening right?

67_Dodge_Charger

Did you by pass the heater core?  How clean is the antifreeze?  Like firefighter is saying there might be a leak in the system.  Your temp guage should be no higher than your thermostat rating.  240* is dangerous for your engine, you will be having to rebuild when the bottom lets go.  Has the engine been rebuilt?

good luck

Robert

pb24

I did not bypass the heater core the heater control valve does not work, not sure what your getting at. the antifreeze looks good. the temperature never went above 230 I know thats still hot and it has a 160 degree thermostat

gonzoe

radiator line could be clogged up or fan clutch could not be working properly

daytonalo

Basics first ! Get a digital inferred laser thermomentorand take readings at heads . Then point it at upper and lower hose , this way you can rule out you can rule out bad gauge and see temp difference from in and out flow .

pb24

Does anybodies charger run this hot when its hot outside

Chryco Psycho

I use a higher thermostat like a 180* , once you go past 160* the thermostat will not control it , but it sounds like you have other issues

pb24

I found a small crack on the upper tank near the radiator cap. I don't know if this is my problem but it needs to be fixed. I took the radiator to repair shop to be fixed and was surprised to find out that it is only a two core radiator because the car has factory air i thought it would have a four core radiator. Is it worth it to upgrade?

link

:brickwall: well i might of been just low...... has it happened sence ......

pb24

The crack was at the upper part of the upper tank, When I checked the water it was not low

67_Dodge_Charger

The crack on the tank will affect your engine temp.  Get a 3 core radiator whenever you can if you plan on using the AC. 

Some have by passed the heater core by looping the hose at the water pump housing.  Also look for slug in the bottom of the radiator and the water pump housing, the antifreeze will have a tainted color if you have sludge or rust build up.  This will be a sign of rust build up in the engine water jackets. 

Robert

pb24

Wher can I find a 3 core radiator

Chryco Psycho

if your tanks are big enough you can have a 3 core built using you tanks

firefighter3931

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 01, 2007, 02:39:47 AM
if your tanks are big enough you can have a 3 core built using you tanks

:iagree: a 3 core will cool much better. That crack in your tank is causing the overheating issues.....if the cooling system doesnt hold pressure the engine will overheat....no doubt about it.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

pb24

The radiator shop is building a 3 core using my tanks. I'll let you know how it works

pb24

I got my radiator back from the shop today. After installing it took the Charger out for a drive, it wasn't that hot outside but it was running much cooler I'll know for sure when I run it on a hot day.

Chryco Psycho

floyds68

I have a 4 core on my rebuilt engine and Im not sure what temp thermostat it has but it was running at 230 all day.  About 100 miles worth of driving.  I know the fluid is good, and the radiator has been rebuilt, I thought the timing was all good but Im not sure exactly where I set it.  This was the same day that led to the Towed home thread.  I hope this is not a lesson in the making for me.
Floyd

"Drive it like you stole it"