News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

UPDATE: Topic: Finally, again, some progress on my hemi68..... Apr. 17, ;08

Started by hemi68charger, April 28, 2007, 04:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

April 17, 2008
EDIT: talked to the owner of the shop last night....., Seems the '68 will be ready for body work QC by me on Monday prior to paint... Should be started next week..

Well, it's finally off the rotisserie.. Soooooooo, maybe she will be done before I get back from Iraq during the last week of May... Here's a link to the previous topic prior to this and then some updated pictures from this week. A friend sent these to me to keep me up to speed....

Part I of Progress on my '68 Hemi Charger R/T

Part III, off to Mo's for the clean-up, fix and repaint

New pictures below...
This picture is dropping it off to get things fixed and the underside painted in the OEM overspray method a few months ago.

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hemi68charger

Last one.. Boy, it's nice seeing that puppy off that rotisserie.. She's been on there for over 4.5 years !!!!

Troy

Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

hemigeno

Troy, that's fantastic to see - I know you've been itching to see some progress for a LOOOONNNGGGG time.  Hopefully Smitty is properly motivated to stay after it!

You've been overly patient with him, probably a lot more patient than I ever would have been.

Congrats on the progress, starting to look more like a car now!

Once again,stay safe and take care over there...

hemi68charger

Heard from the owner of the shop today, the '68's supposed to begin paint on Monday or Tuesday.. I'll be going by the shop to QC the body work; (making sure edges, body lines, seams, etc all look good).... Then, it's paint.............

crossing my fingers............
Troy
Troy

1969chargerrtse

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

charge69

Great news , Troy.    Mine is just now on the rotisserie and is almost completely stripped.  Will be going for a soda blast and acid dip in the next week.  Got to be feeling good about the paint.  Next, putting all those parts back on it!   

hemi68charger

Quote from: charge69 on April 16, 2008, 11:50:58 PM
Great news , Troy.    Mine is just now on the rotisserie and is almost completely stripped.  Will be going for a soda blast and acid dip in the next week.  Got to be feeling good about the paint.  Next, putting all those parts back on it!   

Man Carl,,, You've started !!!  I knew you'd eventually catch up with me the way my track record was going..............  Where you going for the dipping? If it's up in Conroe, make sure they take care with it...... Ask them where they are supporting the car while lifting it out of the fluid tank.......
Troy
Troy

69*F5*SE

SnoPro440

2008 Viper SRT-10
1968 Charger R/T
2019 Rubicon JLU

XS29J8

Hey Troy, I'm lost I guess, did you have to strip it back down and repaint? Thought he was just touching up a few errors...................anyway hope you get her together before mine needs to come apart again ;)

Steve
HEMI 68 CHARGER R/T- 4-SPEED- 3.54 DANA- PP1 RED- BLACK VINYL TOP- PEARL WHITE UPHOLSTERY-STRIPE DELETE- AM 8 TRACK- NON CONSOLE- DRIVEN YEAR ROUND IN SOUTHWEST FLORIDA http://900z1.multiply.com/  http://kawasaki-z-classik.com/index.php  https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AmY22PaMZ1H3dFczVWR2ZlJaX1BvTDFIVUdUZVlseWc&hl=en&authkey=CPi1hp8J#gid=0

hemi68charger

Quote from: XS29J8 on April 17, 2008, 07:35:23 AM
Hey Troy, I'm lost I guess, did you have to strip it back down and repaint? Thought he was just touching up a few errors...................anyway hope you get her together before mine needs to come apart again ;)

Steve

Hey Steve
Originally it went in to get the messed up areas addressed and then paint the underside with the Primer Gray and then shoot overspray paint... Then, we discovered cosmetic things here and there that should be addressed as well. Since LL1 dark turquoise is a metallic color, it's very hard to "blend" in touched up areas............. So, we decided to go ahead and smooth/scuff up the complete car and shoot it one more time, do the underside the OEM "concourse" way and then apply the black wheel well undercoating..............  There's no major body work being done and we're not taking her down to metal, just another even/new coat of paint............  When it's all said and done, she should look stunning...............  Some of the pic's in primer are the older pics when she was over at Smitty's.

Troy
Troy

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

charge69

Hey Troy, we will be using a place that Dan has used twice before. Around the intersection of 242 and I-45 on the east side of the intersection. His cars were taken there on the rotisserie and they spend about a week scraping all undercoating, etc. off the underside, soda blast the entire car to remove most of the paint and then acid-dip it.  We will be making some lift-brackets for the back and most likely bolting them to the rear seatbelt flanges for them to lift the car off the rotisserie.  He has had no trouble with them on his previous dealings. Hood , front quarter panels and trunk lid will not be dipped, just the unibody. 

Lots of rust uncovered so far but, Dan says he can fix it all with metal! Shooting for the end of the year to be finished!

hemi68charger

Quote from: charge69 on April 17, 2008, 11:57:28 AM
Hey Troy, we will be using a place that Dan has used twice before. Around the intersection of 242 and I-45 on the east side of the intersection. His cars were taken there on the rotisserie and they spend about a week scraping all undercoating, etc. off the underside, soda blast the entire car to remove most of the paint and then acid-dip it.  We will be making some lift-brackets for the back and most likely bolting them to the rear seatbelt flanges for them to lift the car off the rotisserie.  He has had no trouble with them on his previous dealings. Hood , front quarter panels and trunk lid will not be dipped, just the unibody. 

Lots of rust uncovered so far but, Dan says he can fix it all with metal! Shooting for the end of the year to be finished!

Yes, that's where I took my hemi '68 as well........  All was fine and dandy until they lifted the vehicle out of the vat with straps wrapped under the roof line.. When they did that, the straps put too much pressure on the drip rail moulding framing and slightly bent them.. They either should have put the straps under the floor of the car, or pull the car out slower to allow the acid to drain out hence reducing the overall weight.... Sounds like Dan has a good experience with them.. All I'll suggest is that their method apparently isn't the same from one car to the next lifting, so make sure they are aware you are aware of the "potential" problem...  I had everything dipped..............

Troy
Troy

charge69

Thanks for the warning and I will take heed. Dan was worried about the rear roof section being used to lift the car as well and that is why he will fabricate some lifting brackets for it. We will go over it with them thoroughly.

Dan wants to just sand blast (he has one) the other parts as they look pretty good. We will see. Tearing it down slowly and labelling everything and bagging it was hard work for an old man! It is done now!  Just have to start spending the money now!!   

Is your paint Base coat-clear coat?  I am almost positive mine is going to be acrylic enamel, like the factory. Dan has done some great work with Enamel.

hemi68charger

Quote from: charge69 on April 17, 2008, 01:08:31 PM
Thanks for the warning and I will take heed. Dan was worried about the rear roof section being used to lift the car as well and that is why he will fabricate some lifting brackets for it. We will go over it with them thoroughly.

Dan wants to just sand blast (he has one) the other parts as they look pretty good. We will see. Tearing it down slowly and labelling everything and bagging it was hard work for an old man! It is done now!  Just have to start spending the money now!!   

Is your paint Base coat-clear coat?  I am almost positive mine is going to be acrylic enamel, like the factory. Dan has done some great work with Enamel.

yeah.. it's going to be base coat - clear coat.............
Troy

Just 6T9 CHGR

Good to see some progress Troy....again :rotz:

I couldn't imagine having to do that all over again!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

hemi68charger

Well, got the call yesterday, the car's ready for PAINT !!!!!!!!
Troy

dpm68

Keep us posted. One of these days mine will look that nice - maybe.

bzabodyn

Congrats! Can't wait to see the finished product!

My car's a little further behind than I'd like, but then again, who ever does what they're going to in the time they first promise, right? Hopefully body work will be done in the next month, but who knows... We're contemplating using urethane vs. bc/cc right now, so we'll see... I think we're going to end up going the "over-restored but factory" route on most things...

BZ
1969 Dodge Charger R/T - 426 HEMI/4 speed/Track Pack

Fitz73Chrgr

Can't wait to see it painted!

And thanks for all you guys overseas do for us.  Our gratitude can't even be put into words.  Stay safe.   :2thumbs:
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

hemi68charger

Went over to the shop Tuesday... Marcel (duo-stripe), my friend from Holland and I did some of our own work on the car.. The shop manager allowed us to tinker on her for a while... He and I cleaned up the trunk area reducing the inner quarter skin undercoating.. Too much was sprayed and there was overspray on the outer wheel well surface in the trunk area. He and I cleaned that up....  The shop will once again start in earnest soon on getting the complete car reshot..  Progress continues.................

Troy
Troy

hemi68charger

Troy