News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Car Show thoughts, I just got back from one......

Started by runninhorn, April 28, 2007, 03:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

runninhorn

Car Show thoughts, I just got back from one......

1) Why is it people put their hands all over, lean on, touch the cars? Geez, as a car owner, that would piss me off.

2) I dont know if id want a nice paint job with all the people walking by, brushing, touching, leaning on my car.

Im seriously thinking of getting a chain and pole setup to put around my car at shows when i finally get my car.

CharlieCharger

I had brought my car to a local cruise, and I had a guy without asking open my door and put his kid in the driver seat..I was not pleased and let him know it..to say the least  ;D
Earth. Even the word sounded strange to me now... unfamiliar. How long had I been gone? How long had I been back? Did it matter? I tried to find the rhythm of the world where I used to live. I followed the current. I was silent, attentive, I made a conscious effort to smile, nod, stand, and perform the millions of gestures that constitute life on earth. I studied these gestures until they became reflexes again. But I was haunted by the idea that I remembered her wrong -Solaris

Bandit4142

I grew up with a family that has shown a number of different cars from Classics, to muscle, you name it...   And one thing that has never changed is, the lack of respect that some spectators can show to someone's car....   Opening doors, leaning on, belt buckle scratches, Dogs not on leashes (or under control) plus kids acting no better....  I've seen damage done at countless car shows.    Unfortunately, unless you do indeed rope off your car, things can and will happen. 
1969 Charger - 383 mag auto - Sold and sorely missed.
1970 Charger R/T - 440 mag - sold
1969 Super Bee - 383 mag auto - sold
1969 Cornet R/T - 383 mag 4 spd - sold

41husk

They are all different, If you show you have to stay close.  I have had people eat ice cream over my car and the parents never said a word.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

DodgeChargerNeeded

Roping off your car is alright until someone leans in over it to get a closer look and knocks that over right into the car. I've seen that happen before and it was no beater it happened to I just turned around and went the other way. Glad I wasn't the owner or the spectator that did it.
Jeff

Rolling_Thunder

I actually had some kid (19 year old) come and sit on the hood of my car once at a cruise in...      he was just there talking to his buddy and two girls...       my friend Kyle solved the problem for me...    he just walked over and said "get off"...      the kid i guess refused with a smart ass comment so my buddy removed him from the hood of my car with a right hook....           
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

BMOTOXSTAR

73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

71ChallengeHer

I usually don't leave my Chally alone at Cruise-Ins because I have had similar things happen. If I have to go somewhere I get someone to watch the car. Last year some lady and here kids were walking around and she wasn't watching her kids . The one boy started to put his foot on my bumper to climb up on my car. The Mom wasn't paying any attention to him. I got up and asked her to please keep her kids off the cars . And she blew me off, like it was no big deal. So I not so nicely told her if her kid put his foot thru my grille she would be owing me $3000.  I really can't believe that people have no respect for someone else's property. At that same show I was told about another incident. There was a 440 Cuda up on the hill. Friends of mine walked by and there was a guy messing with the hood. They thought at first it was the owner. Then the guys son asked him "Dad is it ok if we touch the people's cars ?" He said "Why sure son" So the boy start hitting the fender of this Cuda.  :nutkick:

ChargerRT440

I hate when people disrespect other peoples classics. I poked me head halfway through an open window of a nice baby blue 72 charger once at a car show and made sure that nothing i was wearing would come close to the paint. Just wanted a look inside. I was at a show and shine with my 98 and I got po'ed because everyone gave me and my truck this "that thing shouldnt be here" look. i've personally never seen anyone disrespect a vehicle at a car show that bad but I've heard about it enough. Whats worse is I've heard stories of peope rolling their windows down so that people could look into the interior and locked their doors to discourage people trying to climb in and I've been told peope have gone so far as to unlock the door and climb in.

I guess leaving the doors unlocked is still better then having someone try and try and try to get into your car and just reef on the handle until it breaks or something like that.

RECHRGD

I've been to plenty of car shows over the years and found most of the people to be respectful and appreciative of the cars and owners.  But, those aren't the ones that get remembered.  We remember the jerks!  PET PEEVE------Kids with bicycles and/or scateboards should be banned at all car shows, period.  Also no LARGE dogs!  Then there's always the guys that had  "a car just like yours" except their's was a Hemi!  I swear that 440's should be worth more than any Hemi out there.  Nobody had 440's, they all had Hemi's.  Then we have the baby carrages the must be pushed between two show cars with only a few inches to spare.  Then there's the guy (clone owners know this guy well) who grumbles about your car not being original and then drives home in his Yugo.  Additionally, you will always have the clueless ones that think the world is for them and them alone.  They are the ones that you may spot leaning on your car, setting a cup of coffee on the roof or trying to open the door.  Those people never understand it when you repremand them for their actions.  I better get to work on the car now, there's a show coming up in a couple of weeks.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

whitehatspecial

This is one of the reasons I'd rather drive my car than bring it to "shows".  That would be a good start for a thread. "why don't you go to car shows?"
Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

hemi-hampton

Reminds me of Today at a Car show, two kids I guess were running around behind me, I hear a crunch of metal sound, Every body sez that kid just stepped on that hood. I turn around to see a hood on ground, Everybody sez guy just bought the hood at swap meet & set it down. Then these kids come along & step on top of it. Not sure if it got a big dent or not but I'd be pissed If I just bought & then seen that happen. LEON. :flame:

jackel440

I was at a show that a fire department was putting on and it was starting to get dark and everyone was starting to leave before the crowds showed up for the fire works.well here comes some kids.no parents around anywhere in thier underwear.they were throwing thier soaking wet pants up in the air and bam they landed right on my hood.they must have been like 4 or 5 years old.I wanted to beat their little butts. :flame:
i yelled at them to get thier a##es home,and they just looked at me. :flame: :flame: :flame:
what do you do, :shruggy:your in the middle of a crowd of people

IowaCharger69

My weeks used to revolve around the Thursday night roll-ins at Ruttle's, a restraunt here in town. One Thursday a kid showed up in his Cougar that he dropped a 460 in. He was bragging all night to a bunch of other guys how bad ass it was. As the night drew in he had to get moving because his car didn't have working lights. As he was leaving one of his friends gave his the "do a burn out" hand signal. I have gotten this signal before, so have a lot of people. And I almost always indulge. BUT NOT with the rear end of my car aiming straight away at a row of very nice show cars. He cut loose and SHOWERED to cars with gravel. The sound of the tires scratching the pavement was followed by the sound of hundreds of bb sized rocks spattering off some of the nicest cars in town. His friends were chased out of there like stray dogs and the driver never showed his face/or car at a local drive in again.

I also almost lost my girlfriend and now wife when I lost my mind once when I saw her leaning against an old-school altered wheel base car restored to perfect condition. I snapped so loud and quik at her I think she pee'd. But I woudl do it again if I had to! ;)

NHCharger

I attended cruise nights for a few years but got bored with them. Would rather be driving my car than sitting worrying about some idiot leaning against it with his chain drive wallet. Besides Carlisle I only hit maybe two local shows a year. It's usually a chebbie luvfest anyway.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

BMOTOXSTAR

Quote from: hemi-hampton on April 29, 2007, 06:45:34 PM
Reminds me of Today at a Car show, two kids I guess were running around behind me, I hear a crunch of metal sound, Every body sez that kid just stepped on that hood. I turn around to see a hood on ground, Everybody sez guy just bought the hood at swap meet & set it down. Then these kids come along & step on top of it. Not sure if it got a big dent or not but I'd be pissed If I just bought & then seen that happen. LEON. :flame:

Hope it was not a P Bulge or Air Grabber. :rotz: :pity:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

CharlieCharger

Some of these stories I'm seeing piss me off just hearing them :icon_smile_big:
Earth. Even the word sounded strange to me now... unfamiliar. How long had I been gone? How long had I been back? Did it matter? I tried to find the rhythm of the world where I used to live. I followed the current. I was silent, attentive, I made a conscious effort to smile, nod, stand, and perform the millions of gestures that constitute life on earth. I studied these gestures until they became reflexes again. But I was haunted by the idea that I remembered her wrong -Solaris

Mean 318

I cant stand people sitting on someone else's car!  I have had people lean on mine, sit on mine, and even put there beer on my hood... Then when you ask or tell them to stop they get all offended and pissed! I actually saw a fist fight at a cruise last year when some lady sat on a 70 Monte, the owner told her to get off his car then her nephew started telling him his car was a pos and it didn't matter if she leaned on it. The guy just decided to get in his car and leave, but the guy wouldn't let him so it was lights out for the nephew!  :icon_smile_blackeye: The whole thing with people leanting all over your car comes with the territory

Zentelis

I've been to a lot of car shows, but not many classic shows.
Surprisingly, with all the import shows i've been to, we've never had any trouble with people disrespecting the cars. You would think a scene populated primarily by teenagers would have plenty of respect problems, but I've never seen any.
I even had a kid go out of his way to get my permission just to lean in the window of my car! (I opened the door for him  ;D )

Man, I hope I never have to experience any of these horror-stories I've been reading!

Bandit4142

Zentelis does have an interesting point... When I was showing my 3000GT VR4, I never had problems with young people disrespecting my car.   Never really thought about it, until now... but ya', the young people were always amazingly respectful of my car....    :ahum:
1969 Charger - 383 mag auto - Sold and sorely missed.
1970 Charger R/T - 440 mag - sold
1969 Super Bee - 383 mag auto - sold
1969 Cornet R/T - 383 mag 4 spd - sold

whitehatspecial

Most young car people respect cars like ours because they've either grown up around nice cars, have parents that like nice cars and go to shows, or are just are good, respectful kids that share the love of the hobby. Some of the older people (over 40) seem to not have a clue what these cars represent in hours of work and couldn't care less.

My 3 boys grew up with nice cars here at home and also seeing many classics at shows all over the country. They keep their hands in their pockets when walking up to a car and always are respectful to the owner (regardless what they think of the car).  Even when they smaller I never used the stroller near cars. When they wanted a close up look I'd pick them up and bring them to the car.

Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

bordin34

At car show I have seen a sign that says.
"I would not run my car over your fingers so dont run your fingers over my car"
I like the saying.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ