News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Are 3rd gens more popular on this site than the old?

Started by Ghoste, April 27, 2007, 10:48:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3rd gens seem to get more respect now than before, do you agree?

Well, duh.
41 (82%)
No, they suck and live on the fringe
9 (18%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Ghoste

Okay, okay, so it's a stupid poll.  I'm bored and I have a right.  :nana:  But seriously, as I was reading the thread about the Shelby Charger and if he thought he belonged here, it occured to me that on Jesse's old site, it seemed like the 3rd gens were closet dwellers.  Guys would almost apologize for owning them with statements like "it's just a 73 but..." and so forth.
Now it seems like they are very common and just as outspoken as any 2nd gen owner (who made them the top of the food chain anyway?).
Naturally this is a good thing, but do any of the oldtimers from the other site see it this way too or is my brain getting too beer soaked?

hemihead

I think they are getting more respect now because more people are buying them what with 2nd gens being priced for millionaires now.They are reasonably priced still and so many were produced that lots of wanna bes can jump on the bandwagon.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

bordin34

They are only the best looking chargers ever made besides the 69 500's. Who wants a 2nd gen anyway?

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Charger1973

I dont remember the old site very well, I was a member but didnt use it much.  I dont remember 3rd gens being very popular at all though.  I think they are gaining alot more respect overall. 

hutch

I think 3rd gens are a solid looking car.  I would love to have a snd Gen to work on but they are priced out of my market.  I got a 440 in mine and the work I am going to do with it will make it look hot once its rolling.
In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

pettyfan43

Hey I've had my 73 for about 11 years. It's the 3rd one I've had.

I've always liked them. I do like the 68-70s but right now, there is just no way I could buy one.

I'd have to part with my 66 and my 73 to even think about it and right now, not gonna happen.

74Charger

I think you are right.  I remember the old site.  And did not post much on that site either.  Because If you had a third gen you kinda felt like an outsider.  And if you did have one you did not talk about it much.  But there is alot more talk on this site lately about the third gens.  I also believe it is because the 2nd gens are so costly alot more people are looking at the third gens to fix up.  They are alot more easier to come by for a reasonable price.   

Personally I like all the talk about the third gens.  Maybe I am a little bit bias though :eyes:
74' Charger
03' 2500 4x4 CTD

Doright

A Charger is a Charger yes I like them ALL in the end
But I have a special place for 2nd and 3rd gen's!
Doright
A&P FCC 
I play with cars because Jets are way too serious to be fun any more
I have so many car projects that cars are beginning to be no fun any more

CharlieCharger

I don't think owning a 3rd gen makes you a wanabe..but even then you see some folks split between 71-72 and 73-74 Chargers..either way 1,2,3 gen chargers command authority when you see them on the streets..am I right folks? :yesnod:
Earth. Even the word sounded strange to me now... unfamiliar. How long had I been gone? How long had I been back? Did it matter? I tried to find the rhythm of the world where I used to live. I followed the current. I was silent, attentive, I made a conscious effort to smile, nod, stand, and perform the millions of gestures that constitute life on earth. I studied these gestures until they became reflexes again. But I was haunted by the idea that I remembered her wrong -Solaris

Charger-Bodie

why do some of you 3rd gen guys gotta go hatin on 2nd gen chargers so much?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Charger1973

Id love to have a 2nd gen.  But I like the bodystyle of the 3rd gens a little more, and they are more affordble. Thats the key for me.  If money wasnt an issue, I would have one of each year and model.   :D

charger0740

i am a 3rd gen. owner and i like all chargers 66-74  but its all on what you can afford

bordin34

:iagree: The 3rd gens also have a slight E-bodie-ish look.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Charger_Croatia

Let's see....My choice would be '68 but prices were going really high when I was looking for 2nd gen. So I ended up with '73 and I am happy with it.
'73 Charger with 400 (under restore)
2018 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid AWD Blue Sport

SirNik73

some people say that there is no such thing a love at first site... and that was true when it came to me and my 73 Charger. I grew up in my dads 73 Challenger, and always wanted a Challenger. and chances are if life were just a little diffrent i would have a Challenger today. but my best freind owned the 73 i have now, and was trying to sell it when he died, so i bought it.. more becauseit was his... and i really wanted a mopar muscel car.. that was years ago, and i've fallen head over heals im love with my 73 since then.
1973 Charger SE
1973 Charger Parts car
1968 Couger... got this one for free! and it looks like it was free :)
1983 Toyota Tercel 4x4 Daily Driver
1984 Mercedes-Benz 300SD

red72chrgr

I don't really think so, it's just that nowadays they are much more affordable to those who are just now able to afford a muscle car. I personally love more than just Chargers in the Mopar family. I'm just a car nut anyway.
Nothing personal, just business

Ghoste

Quote from: bordin34 on April 27, 2007, 02:59:36 PM:iagree: The 3rd gens also have a slight E-bodie-ish look.

I've been telling a buddy of mine for many years that the 71 Chargers were just big fat ponycars.

chgr500

Funny how times change...When I was a younger man and all these cars were readily available as used cars we would never consider  purchasing a pre '71 Mopar...with the low compression engines and those gawdy extended bumpers....NOT A CHANCE...even the Cuda's were not popular.....Now these are respected with big $$$$$....who would've thought huh...
3rd gens are still a reasonably priced muscle car in these days standards...especially the 73-4s...but try to find the big blocks!....and the prices are certainly rising.

twilt

Quote from: Ghoste on April 27, 2007, 10:48:10 AM
Okay, okay, so it's a stupid poll.

:iagree:  I dont see any big difference. Just like the old site, this one is still very 2nd Gen dominant.

Judhudson

I like 3rd gen chargers.  They are sweet looking cars fixed up.

Bones68charger

Quote from: bordin34 on April 27, 2007, 11:59:21 AM
They are only the best looking chargers ever made besides the 69 500's. Who wants a 2nd gen anyway?

Most people.... sorry but the 2nd generation made the Charger famous not your 74.... I don't mind 3rd generations but to me the 68-70 is where its at.

Charger72SE

my first car was a 72 SE - so I was just happy to find one and fix it up and bring back some great memories.  The first one had a 318 - the 440 I have now is a lot more fun!!

nakita7

I've owned 6 2nd gens and as many or more 3rd gens. Driven and worked on all of them.

A third gen drives way better, have a nicer, wider interior with bigger glass/windshield, IS shorter, and is just as, if not cooler.

A second gen has the cool grilles (yes, I like all years), the roof pillars (or wait, is that the 66-67 Chevelle  ???), tailights are cool, the gas cap...Hello, sure the doors are cool, but they have NOTHING on the 72 Rallye (or 71 RT) doors, NOTHING. The big engines because 70 was the last year for the Hemi and Six-pack...oh wait a minute... :scratchchin:

My 3 favourites, bar none:

72 Rallye
71 RT

It's nice to see 71 RT's selling for as much and MORE than second gen RT's. 20,000 RT's in 69 and 3100 RT's in 71. Gee...which one will be worth more 25 years from now. Because the cars are so different, it's really like saying Charger..Challenger, which one is better? I personally love both, equally.

Ghoste

Quote from: twilt on April 27, 2007, 08:26:15 PMI dont see any big difference. Just like the old site, this one is still very 2nd Gen dominant.

Ah, but Twilt, do you think the 3rd gen owners make more noise here than the old site?  Yes, this one is still dominated by 68-70 models but it seems to me like there are far more threads about 3rd gens than I recall seeing before.  Especially in the last year or so.

Fitz73Chrgr

Quote from: bordin34 on April 27, 2007, 11:59:21 AM

Even though I have a 73, I'd have to disagree, I think 2nd generations are one of the most beautiful cars ever made.  With the exception of the 69 500, which in my opinion is NOT a very good looking car.  If you take away the rear roofline and the grill of a 69, it ruins the car.
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541