News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Are 3rd gens more popular on this site than the old?

Started by Ghoste, April 27, 2007, 10:48:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3rd gens seem to get more respect now than before, do you agree?

Well, duh.
41 (82%)
No, they suck and live on the fringe
9 (18%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Ghoste

Okay, okay, so it's a stupid poll.  I'm bored and I have a right.  :nana:  But seriously, as I was reading the thread about the Shelby Charger and if he thought he belonged here, it occured to me that on Jesse's old site, it seemed like the 3rd gens were closet dwellers.  Guys would almost apologize for owning them with statements like "it's just a 73 but..." and so forth.
Now it seems like they are very common and just as outspoken as any 2nd gen owner (who made them the top of the food chain anyway?).
Naturally this is a good thing, but do any of the oldtimers from the other site see it this way too or is my brain getting too beer soaked?

hemihead

I think they are getting more respect now because more people are buying them what with 2nd gens being priced for millionaires now.They are reasonably priced still and so many were produced that lots of wanna bes can jump on the bandwagon.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

bordin34

They are only the best looking chargers ever made besides the 69 500's. Who wants a 2nd gen anyway?

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Charger1973

I dont remember the old site very well, I was a member but didnt use it much.  I dont remember 3rd gens being very popular at all though.  I think they are gaining alot more respect overall. 

hutch

I think 3rd gens are a solid looking car.  I would love to have a snd Gen to work on but they are priced out of my market.  I got a 440 in mine and the work I am going to do with it will make it look hot once its rolling.
In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

pettyfan43

Hey I've had my 73 for about 11 years. It's the 3rd one I've had.

I've always liked them. I do like the 68-70s but right now, there is just no way I could buy one.

I'd have to part with my 66 and my 73 to even think about it and right now, not gonna happen.

74Charger

I think you are right.  I remember the old site.  And did not post much on that site either.  Because If you had a third gen you kinda felt like an outsider.  And if you did have one you did not talk about it much.  But there is alot more talk on this site lately about the third gens.  I also believe it is because the 2nd gens are so costly alot more people are looking at the third gens to fix up.  They are alot more easier to come by for a reasonable price.   

Personally I like all the talk about the third gens.  Maybe I am a little bit bias though :eyes:
74' Charger
03' 2500 4x4 CTD

Doright

A Charger is a Charger yes I like them ALL in the end
But I have a special place for 2nd and 3rd gen's!
Doright
A&P FCC 
I play with cars because Jets are way too serious to be fun any more
I have so many car projects that cars are beginning to be no fun any more

CharlieCharger

I don't think owning a 3rd gen makes you a wanabe..but even then you see some folks split between 71-72 and 73-74 Chargers..either way 1,2,3 gen chargers command authority when you see them on the streets..am I right folks? :yesnod:
Earth. Even the word sounded strange to me now... unfamiliar. How long had I been gone? How long had I been back? Did it matter? I tried to find the rhythm of the world where I used to live. I followed the current. I was silent, attentive, I made a conscious effort to smile, nod, stand, and perform the millions of gestures that constitute life on earth. I studied these gestures until they became reflexes again. But I was haunted by the idea that I remembered her wrong -Solaris

Charger-Bodie

why do some of you 3rd gen guys gotta go hatin on 2nd gen chargers so much?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Charger1973

Id love to have a 2nd gen.  But I like the bodystyle of the 3rd gens a little more, and they are more affordble. Thats the key for me.  If money wasnt an issue, I would have one of each year and model.   :D

charger0740

i am a 3rd gen. owner and i like all chargers 66-74  but its all on what you can afford

bordin34

:iagree: The 3rd gens also have a slight E-bodie-ish look.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Charger_Croatia

Let's see....My choice would be '68 but prices were going really high when I was looking for 2nd gen. So I ended up with '73 and I am happy with it.
'73 Charger with 400 (under restore)
2018 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid AWD Blue Sport

SirNik73

some people say that there is no such thing a love at first site... and that was true when it came to me and my 73 Charger. I grew up in my dads 73 Challenger, and always wanted a Challenger. and chances are if life were just a little diffrent i would have a Challenger today. but my best freind owned the 73 i have now, and was trying to sell it when he died, so i bought it.. more becauseit was his... and i really wanted a mopar muscel car.. that was years ago, and i've fallen head over heals im love with my 73 since then.
1973 Charger SE
1973 Charger Parts car
1968 Couger... got this one for free! and it looks like it was free :)
1983 Toyota Tercel 4x4 Daily Driver
1984 Mercedes-Benz 300SD

red72chrgr

I don't really think so, it's just that nowadays they are much more affordable to those who are just now able to afford a muscle car. I personally love more than just Chargers in the Mopar family. I'm just a car nut anyway.
Nothing personal, just business

Ghoste

Quote from: bordin34 on April 27, 2007, 02:59:36 PM:iagree: The 3rd gens also have a slight E-bodie-ish look.

I've been telling a buddy of mine for many years that the 71 Chargers were just big fat ponycars.

chgr500

Funny how times change...When I was a younger man and all these cars were readily available as used cars we would never consider  purchasing a pre '71 Mopar...with the low compression engines and those gawdy extended bumpers....NOT A CHANCE...even the Cuda's were not popular.....Now these are respected with big $$$$$....who would've thought huh...
3rd gens are still a reasonably priced muscle car in these days standards...especially the 73-4s...but try to find the big blocks!....and the prices are certainly rising.

twilt

Quote from: Ghoste on April 27, 2007, 10:48:10 AM
Okay, okay, so it's a stupid poll.

:iagree:  I dont see any big difference. Just like the old site, this one is still very 2nd Gen dominant.

Judhudson

I like 3rd gen chargers.  They are sweet looking cars fixed up.

Bones68charger

Quote from: bordin34 on April 27, 2007, 11:59:21 AM
They are only the best looking chargers ever made besides the 69 500's. Who wants a 2nd gen anyway?

Most people.... sorry but the 2nd generation made the Charger famous not your 74.... I don't mind 3rd generations but to me the 68-70 is where its at.

Charger72SE

my first car was a 72 SE - so I was just happy to find one and fix it up and bring back some great memories.  The first one had a 318 - the 440 I have now is a lot more fun!!

nakita7

I've owned 6 2nd gens and as many or more 3rd gens. Driven and worked on all of them.

A third gen drives way better, have a nicer, wider interior with bigger glass/windshield, IS shorter, and is just as, if not cooler.

A second gen has the cool grilles (yes, I like all years), the roof pillars (or wait, is that the 66-67 Chevelle  ???), tailights are cool, the gas cap...Hello, sure the doors are cool, but they have NOTHING on the 72 Rallye (or 71 RT) doors, NOTHING. The big engines because 70 was the last year for the Hemi and Six-pack...oh wait a minute... :scratchchin:

My 3 favourites, bar none:

72 Rallye
71 RT

It's nice to see 71 RT's selling for as much and MORE than second gen RT's. 20,000 RT's in 69 and 3100 RT's in 71. Gee...which one will be worth more 25 years from now. Because the cars are so different, it's really like saying Charger..Challenger, which one is better? I personally love both, equally.

Ghoste

Quote from: twilt on April 27, 2007, 08:26:15 PMI dont see any big difference. Just like the old site, this one is still very 2nd Gen dominant.

Ah, but Twilt, do you think the 3rd gen owners make more noise here than the old site?  Yes, this one is still dominated by 68-70 models but it seems to me like there are far more threads about 3rd gens than I recall seeing before.  Especially in the last year or so.

Fitz73Chrgr

Even though I have a 73, I'd have to disagree, I think 2nd generations are one of the most beautiful cars ever made.  With the exception of the 69 500, which in my opinion is NOT a very good looking car.  If you take away the rear roofline and the grill of a 69, it ruins the car.
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

Charger_Fan

Yes, I think 3rd gen's are becoming more popular on this site than the old site. I suppose a lot of it could be attributed to the skyrocketing prices of 2nd gens though, sorta forcing some to look beyond a 2nd gen car to find an affordable Charger...maybe.

Quote from: Fitz73Chrgr on April 27, 2007, 09:16:11 PM

Even though I have a 73, I'd have to disagree, I think 2nd generations are one of the most beautiful cars ever made.  With the exception of the 69 500, which in my opinion is NOT a very good looking car.  If you take away the rear roofline and the grill of a 69, it ruins the car.
What about when there's a nose & wing added? :D

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

74Charger

Quote from: Ghoste on April 27, 2007, 09:04:26 PM
Quote from: twilt on April 27, 2007, 08:26:15 PMI dont see any big difference. Just like the old site, this one is still very 2nd Gen dominant.

Ah, but Twilt, do you think the 3rd gen owners make more noise here than the old site?  Yes, this one is still dominated by 68-70 models but it seems to me like there are far more threads about 3rd gens than I recall seeing before.  Especially in the last year or so.

:iagree:
74' Charger
03' 2500 4x4 CTD

terrible one

I'm still the biggest fan of the 2nd gens, which is why I got a pretty rough one instead of a better condition 3rd gen, but the 3rd gens are really growing on me. I sure wouldn't mind having one, and it really does run a close second to the 2nd gen in my book.

pettyfan43

The 68-70 Dodge Charger is quite literally THE perfect Car! It is THE most beautiful car ever sold to the general public. This is my opinion, but the 68-70 Chargers have a style that is absolutely stunning. They have a look and attitude that has everything else beat! Nothing GM FORD OR Mopar ever built has that much style.

I Would LOVE to have another one, and i regret selling the last one I had. Hopefully one day I will be able to own one that will go right in between my 66 and my 73.

NHCharger

Someone on the old board once said "there are two types of Charger owners, those who own a 2nd gen Charger and those who wished they owned a 2nd gen Charger". That's the type of "tude" I  didn't care for on the old board.
I've always loved the front half of the 69 Charger and the back half of the 71 Charger. Combined it would have been the best looking muscle car of all times.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

hemihead

Quote from: Bones68charger on April 27, 2007, 08:43:36 PM

Most people.... sorry but the 2nd generation made the Charger famous not your 74.... I don't mind 3rd generations but to me the 68-70 is where its at.
Petty made the Charger famous in 72, that is why the 73 was the highest production year for the Charger not the 2nd Gen. And if you are referring to the fame brought on by the GL, in my opinion that was a fame that real Mopar guys could have done without.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

OldGuy

Is there someone here who could photoshop a charger with a 69 front end and a 71 rear end so we can visualize what one would look like?  Could be an interesting look.
"I can tell by your sarcastic undertones, rude comments and total lack of common decency, that you and I could be best friends".

TK73

I don't apologize for having a 73, LOVE IT!!   I do apologize for the weak 318 and bench seat though...
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

pettyfan43

I don't know why there has to be any controversy or whatever. It's stupid. I have owned all 3 bodystyles. I currently own a first and a third gen, I love all 3 of em.

I wouldn't trade either of my cars for a second generation car. Sorry but I wouldn't. I have owned a BUNCH of 68-70s. They are beautiful cars, no doubt, Like I said, They are the perfect car.  They are not the only Chargers built though. That's just a fact, the cars from 66-74 are all cool unique cars with their own style and personality.

To me the COOLEST interior of the bunch, is in the 66. The dash, the full length console, the look and feel of a much more expensive car.

BY FAR the best driving and handling of the bunch are the 71-74s with heavy duty suspension.

They all have their plusses and minuses.

I don't get the argument - The melding of style AND Substance was the Charger's big advantage, when the 440 was put into the Charger in 67 (and the Hemi in 66) Chrysler decided they should have a COMPLETE package, Heavy duty suspension and brakes, a full guage package and looks like no other car. Gms and Fords of the era never did have suspension and brakes and they never really got their stuff together.

Look, we're Mopar guys, and all our Chargers are Mopars! From 66 318 3 speed cars to 2007 Charger SRT 8  Rocketships, they are Mopars, they share a common bond, they are cooler just by the virtue of WHAT they are and their heritage!

Everything else SUCKS anyway! Why the fighting?

CharlieCharger

Quote from: TK73 on April 28, 2007, 10:16:25 AM
I don't apologize for having a 73, LOVE IT!!   I do apologize for the weak 318 and bench seat though...
Nothing wrong with have a 318..ask a lot of guys, and they enjoy cruising in a 318 car than a gas hog 440..However when it comes down to getting on it 440 is sure nice to have  :yesnod:
Earth. Even the word sounded strange to me now... unfamiliar. How long had I been gone? How long had I been back? Did it matter? I tried to find the rhythm of the world where I used to live. I followed the current. I was silent, attentive, I made a conscious effort to smile, nod, stand, and perform the millions of gestures that constitute life on earth. I studied these gestures until they became reflexes again. But I was haunted by the idea that I remembered her wrong -Solaris

twilt

Quote from: Ghoste on April 27, 2007, 09:04:26 PM

I have not noticed any significant increase in the number of 3rd Gen threads.
I have noticed an increase in the number of what I call "3rd Gen apologists"  Thats my term for those whom say....I`d rather have a 68/69/70 but
I could not afford one. 

Chris G.

Quote from: twilt on April 28, 2007, 04:31:46 PM
I have noticed an increase in the number of what I call "3rd Gen apologists"  Thats my term for those whom say....I`d rather have a 68/69/70 but
I could not afford one. 

Nice observation.  :yesnod:

Oh, I would take a '71 in a heartbeat. It's #2 on my favorite Charger list. :icon_smile_wink:

6pkrunner

A 440+6 or hemi 1971, Ramcharger, 4 gear, 4.10 out back, Plum with a black gut - fine fine fine piece of machinery.

CharlieCharger

Quote from: 6pkrunner on April 28, 2007, 05:09:43 PM
A 440+6 or hemi 1971, Ramcharger, 4 gear, 4.10 out back, Plum with a black gut - fine fine fine piece of machinery.

I would have to agree.. I like the A4 cars too..Who doesnt want a 2nd gen though..but to be honest I love my 72..In a few years there gonna be just as rare I suspect the way people let cars rot in fields.

Troy

Well, all I can say about it is: this site is whatever the members make it. If anyone wants more 3rd gen threads then they should start more - nothing is stopping them. There are almost 3,800 members here with the ability to start and respond to threads. Everything you read is a direct result of someone else on the site contributing information so the corollary to that is anything you don't see is the result of someone (or a group) NOT contributing. New members join because they perceive some value from the site. If they ask a 3rd gen question and it gets ignored then they'll go elsewhere. If they are looking to share information and no one seems to care then they'll also go elsewhere. Growing the community takes a bit of effort from everyone involved. Participate and encourage and you'll be amazed at what can happen! That's also my way of saying I still don't know squat about 3rd gens :shruggy: so if you're waiting for me to add some snazzy new stuff on my own then you'll likely be disappointed. :icon_smile_wink:

I don't get the whole competition thing any way. I like many different cars (and even brands) so I'm just happy to see anyone fix up, drive, or just enjoy them. So what if they bought their second or third oe even fourth choice in cars? I was looking for a Mustang fastback when I bought my Barracuda and now I think I made a better choice. Of course, the 68 Charger is #1 on my list but that doesn't mean it's the only car for me or that I can't appreciate anything else. This members on this site introduced me to the 3rd gens and I learn more all the time. If it weren't for people with different tastes and knowledge then I'd probably never be exposed to anything more than what I like. That would be very boring.

Oh, I personally think there are a lot more 1st and 3rd gen topics going on - certainly more 3rd gen stuff overall. If I had the time to dig through my archives I'm sure I could prove it. ;)

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Goldfinger71

....Let's also remember that back on the old site the 3rd gens were not really "accepted" to the point they are now.There are members here who back then could care less about a 3rd gen but now have different feeling becuase they learned more about them through this site and have seen good restored/modified examples at different shows.
You can even read this thread and see some of the replies from the 2nd gen owners/lovers who are starting to like the 3rd gens more than they used to! :yesnod: :angel:
1971 Charger R/T   GY9 Dark Gold Metallic, V1Y Gold Top, GY4 Light Gold Interior- A/C, Rimblow, PW, Front Disc, AM-FM, Tach, Light Package, Slotted Tips, Trailer Tow Package(MIA)and a few other odds and ends...including a luggage rack!

CharlieCharger

Quote from: Goldfinger71 on April 28, 2007, 05:40:50 PM
....Let's also remember that back on the old site the 3rd gens were not really "accepted" to the point they are now.There are members here who back then could care less about a 3rd gen but now have different feeling becuase they learned more about them through this site and have seen good restored/modified examples at different shows.
You can even read this thread and see some of the replies from the 2nd gen owners/lovers who are starting to like the 3rd gens more than they used to! :yesnod: :angel:
I didn't know it was that bad on the other site..other than the fact I was never on it..but some of the comments on here about how we weren't accepted sounds like the 69-70 guys are gonna form a lynch mob and come after us  :icon_smile_big: just like opinions, preferences are like a@@holes everyone has one..and I say that in the most teasingly way btw..Really though, was it that bad on the previous board? :shruggy:

Nacho-RT74

I wouldn't say we 3rd gen owners are prouder of our Chargers now than before, but yes does look 2nd gen owners/lovers are accepting/likeing more 3rd gens now than then.

and I think 1st gen owners are a class appart from the rest LOL.

Anyway being me a 3rd gen owner, still dream with a 69 SE and will love to park it at a side of my 74... after that, get a 67 with vinyl top :D

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Goldfinger71

Reread my post my freind(CharlieCharger) :icon_smile_big:
I said we are accepted MORE now than we were then... :yesnod: Due to market trends and the other things I wrote in the previous reply.  :yesnod:
We were accepted BUT we are more accepted now..... :yesnod:
As stated there are members who even replied to this thread that now like 3rd gens now more than they did some time ago :pity:

There are things I like of the 1st,2nd and 3rd gens...and there are some things I don't like of the 1st,2nd and 3rd gens.
1971 Charger R/T   GY9 Dark Gold Metallic, V1Y Gold Top, GY4 Light Gold Interior- A/C, Rimblow, PW, Front Disc, AM-FM, Tach, Light Package, Slotted Tips, Trailer Tow Package(MIA)and a few other odds and ends...including a luggage rack!

Fitz73Chrgr

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on April 27, 2007, 10:21:45 PM

What about when there's a nose & wing added? :D

Daytonas are gorgeous, but I still don't like the window plug.  I know it's purely for aerodynamics, but it still doesn't look good.
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

CharlieCharger

Quote from: Goldfinger71 on April 28, 2007, 06:35:32 PM
Reread my post my freind(CharlieCharger) :icon_smile_big:
I said we are accepted MORE now than we were then... :yesnod:Due to market trends and the other things I wrote in the previous reply. :yesnod:
We were accepted BUT we are more accepted now..... :yesnod
As stated there are members who even replied to this thread that now like 3rd gens now more than they did some time ago:pity:

There are things I like of the 1st,2nd and 3rd gens...and there are some things I don't like of the 1st,2nd and 3rd gens.

Will those things you don't like about the 3rd gens allow you to just give me your 71?  :icon_smile_big: Cheers. :cheers: and another one for my other 3rd gen brothers  :icon_smile_big:  :cheers:

pettyfan43

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on April 28, 2007, 06:21:48 PM

What ya mean by that? :D

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: pettyfan43 on April 28, 2007, 10:52:16 PM

Normally 1st gen are not on discussions LOL... they are just floating around and oftenly appears on discussion. Nobody discuss about 1st gens, if they are great or not, handling or not, if we like or not, hard to see 1st gen polls. You can notice the competition is usually between 2nd an 3rd gens.

We 3rd gens allways ( oftenlly also 2nds )get angry about parts available, originals or repro, but I think 1st gen are the forgotten Chargers, and at the moment of search for parts, 1st gens have the worst and harder time of that. :pity:
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

pettyfan43

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on April 29, 2007, 09:55:46 AM
Quote from: pettyfan43 on April 28, 2007, 10:52:16 PM

Normally 1st gen are not on discussions LOL... they are just floating around and oftenly appears on discussion. Nobody discuss about 1st gens, if they are great or not, handling or not, if we like or not, hard to see 1st gen polls. You can notice the competition is usually between 2nd an 3rd gens.

We 3rd gens allways ( oftenlly also 2nds )get angry about parts available, originals or repro, but I think 1st gen are the forgotten Chargers, and at the moment of search for parts, 1st gens have the worst and harder time of that. :pity:

We are the dedicated ones!  ;D it is tough to find stuff for the 66 and 67s. As far as driving and handling, the 66-67s drive just like 68-70s. There are starting to be  more parts available for first and third generation cars.  We have a pretty solid base of dedicated owners though and are willing to help one another. I had a guy GIVE me a parts car!

The first generation owners in some ways have it easier than the second, for one thing, the first gen cars seem to have been owned by more mature people, and a lot of times they seem to have survived a little better. For another that the first gen cars fly a little more "below the radar" and a lot of times parts aren't quite as expensive, you can also buy nicer cars a lot cheaper, but that is changing.

Having owned all 3 bodystyles, I can say (Second generation guys close your eyes) the first generation cars seem to be built MUCH better than the second gen cars. They seem to survive a little better. Sorry but this comes from owning all 3.

Just a personal observation, your mileage may vary. Just my
:Twocents:

Wheels of Terror

Quote from: 1hot68 on April 27, 2007, 02:52:47 PM
why do some of you 3rd gen guys gotta go hatin on 2nd gen chargers so much?
'Cause they'd gone and hated us for awhile!! :icon_smile_big:  Kidding! I LOVE all of the Chargers.  Period. I am not ashamed in any way of my Spring Special. I adore that car. The Celebrity roofline with the real full vinyl top is handsome.It has some balls for a 33 yr old 318. No problem chirpping the tires.  Hey, if you'd at least driven one anyone would love them.
1999 Pontiac Trans Am
1982 KARR Knight Rider Replica
2009 Dodge Avenger
Looking for another Third Gen Charger

JR

My favorite has been and will always be the 70 model. Even though, really, it was just a hasty make over to last untl the new 71s came out.
most people today consider the 2nd gens to be the best looking muscle cars ever built. But I think taste has changed since the days they were new. If you look at numbers, the 3rd gens WAAAAYYYY outsold the 1st and 2nd generations. Back in the day, the 71-74s were considered to be rolling artwork. I have a vintage magazine article from 72 that calls them that.  Maybe the sportier looks of the 2nd gens wore on better with the general public.  If you read back on all the road tests back then, the 71-74 models outperformed every single one of their competitors. They were exceptional cars. Also, you guys remember what Richard Petty's most sucessfull and favorite race car was? The 3rd gen Charger.  It was really a better race car too.

I could go on. I'll just finish by saying  while I own to 2nd gen RT's now, the very first car I rode home in from the hospital was a 74 Charger with a Slant 6 and 3 on the tree. I love them all.  I wish I could find a clean 3rd gen slant 6 or 318 Charger to drive daily. The new brand X would be gone.

Also, how easy would it be to have a thread called "Are 4th gens more popular on this site that old?" 
  You know those guys feel left out. All 3 of them atleast. :P
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

andy74

i may be the exception to the rule,but i prefer 71/72 chargers over any others-i just like the look and ride better,and i am always happy to help another charger guy out when i can!as long as it is a 2 door charger(even the 80s econoboxes)i like em!

ACUDANUT

I agree with Troy.  I love to see, and appriciate all Chargers fixed up and saved from the crusher.
BTW...IMO... 2nd Generation is what started it all.  I have both... 2nd and 3rd Gen. Love them all.

Khyron

I'm one of those that came around. grant it I do own a 69 Charger. Thats all I ever looked at, However. being on this site has made me recognize the 3rd gens more. Also being around that 71 Hemi Charger gave me more appreciation toward them as well.

Would I give up my 69 for a later year. no, I don't believe so. But If I had a chance to pick up a 3rd gen for one of my Kids and help them restore it. Yes, yes I believe i would.

to the 3rd gen owners :2thumbs: lets see some more pics ;)

and Troy, stop using all those big words :nana: it slows down my reading ;)

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.