News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wanna help me with my homework?

Started by SirNik73, April 26, 2007, 05:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirNik73

I'm almost done with AS in automotive mechanics... but I need to finish my general ed. so I'm taking my last GE class... Speech. The final is a 6 min speech on non verbal communication. So I am going to give my speech on how we communicate thought cars.

I've been doing research and I was looking for who was the first car company to offer their cars with color... I know the Model Ts were all black from the factory, and I thought Chevrolet was the first US auto maker to offer a car in the same price range as the Model T only they offered their cars in color.

Obviously I'm just starting this project. Any ideas of examples of how people communicate thought their cars. Let me know. I figured that a lot of you guys will have something to say.
1973 Charger SE
1973 Charger Parts car
1968 Couger... got this one for free! and it looks like it was free :)
1983 Toyota Tercel 4x4 Daily Driver
1984 Mercedes-Benz 300SD

Charger_Fan

Quote from: SirNik73 on April 26, 2007, 05:16:39 PM
Any ideas of examples of how people communicate thought their cars.

Not sure what you mean.
Do you mean 'communicate through their cars'? As in how individuals customize their cars as an extension of their personalities?

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

moparguy01

hate to burst your bubble, but not all model T's were black. the year Henry Ford said that they were, cause they couldnt get dark blue anymore. all the paints were very dark because they were made of asphaultium. at least on the fords.
Honestly I'd say pick a different topic. from what you said in this post alone i can tell your in over your head. sorry to sound like an ass but its true . second, chevrolet wasnt in the model T price range. They started making money and getting big when they updated their styling and the ford model T looked pretty much the same after its almost 18 year long production run. chevrolet started offering a more modern style with color, and thats what sold people on them, even though they cost more money. It was actually one of Henry's children that finally convinced him to retool his line and build a different car, and henry realized his profit margin was shrinking. so he shut down the plant i beleive in 1927 or 1928, not positive on the year, and retooled for the model A ford.

Russ
associate degree in automotive restoration technology (including automotive history  :icon_smile_big:)

^
I told you guys i got a degree in this stuff. :D

SirNik73

moparguy01, I wouldn't exactly say I'm in over my head I've done plenty of projects on automotive topics... but we don't have any degrees like the one you have offered at my school. I have an idea for my speech but I was reading the forum while doing some research and thought... hey these guys could help me brain storm.

My speech is pretty much about car culture... and I thought I'd throw in some history. More of like a back bone to hang the car culture off of.

I was thinking about breaking it down into sections such as:
The marketing of cars
Why people choose the cars they do.
Personal customizing of cars.

BTW the model A started production in late 27... supose that makes in a 28 model year, and was produced til 31. 32 was the first year the went to the yearly production we all know now.
1973 Charger SE
1973 Charger Parts car
1984 Mercedes-Benz 300SD

pettyfan43

Actually it isn't that hard, Think about the wild colors Mopar offered in 70 and 71. Think about the exclusive colors used on the current Charger R/T Daytonas, so you know it is something special (No BS here, I'm trying to help the guy) ANd talk about making a statement, 70 Superbird and 69 Charger Daytona anybody? Those are two of the most sought after cars in the world of collector cars.

Being a Mopar guy, with this topic, you are ahead of the game, you see a Curious Yellow 71 Cuda, ya KNOW it's a Mopar.

bull

That's easy. If the speech is on non-verbal communication just stand quietly up there for six minutes and you're done. If you or the audience gets bored just pretend you're a mime or do a bunch of fake sign language for part of it.

Seriously though, There are plenty of ways to get your point across about how we communicate to others with cars aside from color. I'd do it on what the owner is communicating to others by the car they drive. Explain why a guy going through midlife crisis buys a sports car to relive his youth, why a guy with small man's complex drives a huge 4X4 to compensate, why Subaru Outbacks are the VW bus of the '00s, why soccer moms all drive minvans or SUVs, etc. These people are not only buying cars for specific uses they are making non-verbal statements about themselves, as we are with our Chargers.

SirNik73

Quote from: pettyfan43 on April 26, 2007, 09:18:56 PM
Actually it isn't that hard, Think about the wild colors Mopar offered in 70 and 71. Think about the exclusive colors used on the current Charger R/T Daytonas, so you know it is something special (No BS here, I'm trying to help the guy) ANd talk about making a statement, 70 Superbird and 69 Charger Daytona anybody? Those are two of the most sought after cars in the world of collector cars.

Being a Mopar guy, with this topic, you are ahead of the game, you see a Curious Yellow 71 Cuda, ya KNOW it's a Mopar.

thanks. this is why i picked the topic i did. I was thinking about how easy it would be. i love all the classic ads from the muscel car era, i love the wild paint, and the cool little extras like the "voice of the road runner" horn, and i love the hot rod styles of the 50s and thought hey, that could be my speech right there. i'm just trying to work on putting it all together into one speech.
1973 Charger SE
1973 Charger Parts car
1984 Mercedes-Benz 300SD

SirNik73

Quote from: bull on April 26, 2007, 09:19:29 PM
Seriously though, There are plenty of ways to get your point across about how we communicate to others with cars aside from color. I'd do it on what the owner is communicating to others by the car they drive. Explain why a guy going through midlife crisis buys a sports car to relive his youth, why a guy with small man's complex drives a huge 4X4 to compensate, why Subaru Outbacks are the VW bus of the '00s, why soccer moms all drive minvans or SUVs, etc. These people are not only buying cars for specific uses they are making non-verbal statements about themselves, as we are with our Chargers.

Exactly!
1973 Charger SE
1973 Charger Parts car
1984 Mercedes-Benz 300SD

skip68

I agree with Bull;) Good luck! ;D
Mrs.Skip ;) :2thumbs:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

The earliest T's were red.  The speedster T's were white.  The story I heard for going to the black T's later was that it was the only color would dry fast enough for them.  Henry Ford was the model for a tightwad.  He said that 3 screws holding the carb bowl on was too many and to go to 2.  I believe main bearings were the same.  If I remember right the crank is supported on each end.  If you restore one of those puppies you find all kinds of money saving ideas in the weirdest places. 
When I was just a very young lad I looked up and told my dad, a bareback rider's what I wanna be.  I want the whole world to know about me.  In the rodeo arena I'll make my stand.  I wanna be a rodeo man.  I'll come flyin' from the chute with my spurs up high, chaps and boots reachin' for the sky.  Spurin' wild with my head throwed back, you'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.  You'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.