News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

489 Cases

Started by BronzeOnSteelies, April 25, 2007, 09:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BronzeOnSteelies

Is it true that 489 Case rear ends only came on 69 and later cars?

If so what would an 8-3/4 1968 take.
68 MM1 (Turbine Bronze) R/T

no318

John_Kunkel

The 489 case appears in the '68 parts book so it must have been available late in the '68 model year.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Ghoste

Hey John, I can't find it in my 68 book.  Can you point me where to look (page number assuming we have the same edition, mine is Sept 67)?

John_Kunkel

Mine's dated April 1968, text page 3-3, code 3-03-3:

CARRIER, w/CAPS w/ 8 3/4" gear, w/casting No. 2881 489, used with Collapsible Spacer Type Axle   *2881 098

The asterisk denotes a change or addition so I assume the 489 was introduced in or about April '68.

Code 3-19-0 Drive Gear and Pinion set lists the 1 7/8" stem available in only 2.76, 3.23 and 3.55 ratios but in all body types.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Ghoste

Must be, mine doesn't differentiate between casting numbers, it just shows the 741 and 742 based on pinion stem diameter without indicating the casting.  I have some tech bulletins someplace so I'll do a check there to see if one one them indicates an introduction date but I don't think my 68 set is complete.  Not that it's important but it would be interesting to know when the change was made now that the topic has come up.