News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stupid Question

Started by Challenger340, April 15, 2007, 11:42:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Challenger340

Like it says, but I honestly dunno !

What does a guy sell a bunch of complete, Intake to Oilpan, W/pump & Dist., 440 steel crank Engine cores for ?

How much are they worth ?  Individually ?

Most are all from 70-72 tucks, non-rebuilt. I'd have to pull Pans & Intake/heads to verify first, but been stored since early 80's, "running when pulled ".

Just getting opinions on prices here first,
for sale over here;http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,27479.0.html

Only wimps wear Bowties !

squeakfinder

I bought one from a wrecking yard last winter. Carb to oil pan for $500.00.

That was in Oregon.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

MOPARHOUND!

I've bought them from $150 to $350 with trans attached. 

Sellers usually ask $400-$500 and negotiate from there.  440 prices also tend to vary by area of the country.

A guy at the Mopar winter Columbia, MO swap meet sold 3 440s asking $350 apiece, and they didn't last long.  Don't know if they were cast crank, as they sold before I got there.  The 400s he had lasted till the last day, selling to a guy with a low ball offer, IIRC.

RM Mobarn has offered several at $500, with cast cranks and trannies from running C-bodies here on the board in the past:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,24634.0.html

I think when the www.440source.com economy priced (by Mopar standards) 440 blocks come out, it is going to put a dent in 440 prices: 
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=3275928&an=0&page=0#Post3275928

Brandon at 440source has stated the 440 RB will be the first to be cast.

Many, especially racers, will spend the extra bucks for the new stronger block, versus getting by with 30+ year old factory blocks. 

Hopes this helps. 

1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

Mean 318

I got a running 1970 440/727 for $700. Carb to oil pan.

Challenger340

Do you guys feel the early 70's 440 "steel crank" cores, "complete", are more desireable than the later "cast" crank versions ?

Also, these are all "uncracked", never rebuild prior, std bores, std/std Steel crank engines.

Even a couple of 68/69 date code original "drab green" or turquiose" type faded paint, but I got guys telling me those are worth more money than a 72 date steel crank core.

I'm gonna try the one '68 cores serial number "out there" in cyberspace, as it's a 375 HP "magnum" type deal, with windage tray, springs, correct intake, maltese cross, etc.
It has to be from a GTX or R/T car, maybe can re-unite the mill, with the original car.

Anyways, thx for any imput.

Troy

The engines marked as HP from 68-70 will probably bring the most money. I agree that it also depends on the area of the country you try to sell them in. Some guys say they can't find *any* 440s in their area but I live in Ohio and the engines last longer than the cars. I have spent as much as $700 on a 440 but it had the numbers I wanted. I've seen cast crank engines for around $150 but the market was flooded at the time and there was no shipping available (local pickup only). The best way to sell these things is usually at a swap where the buyers can pick one they want and load it up. I'd be interested in a 68 dated Magnum but, as I said elsewhere, the logistics of getting it from there to here will cause a problem.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ghoste

At the other end of the extreme, there is a guy here in town with a 440 he pulled from a New Yorker and he wants 1800 for it "as is".  His price is firm and it has been for sale for a couple of years now.

Chatt69chgr

$300-$600 and may or may not include the transmission.  Unless you are a numbers matching person, the later blocks are actually more desirable.  See the write-up on www.440source.com.  They have stronger engine mounts and strengthening ribs on the sides of the block.  They do have cast cranks but that can be remedied by a forged crank from 440 source.  Starting in 69, the block has the VIN number on it so unless it matches your VIN, I don't see how it makes any difference what block you use as long as you were building a 69 or up vehicle.  Maybe 66-68 blocks would be important to the numbers guy since they didn't have VIN numbers and so would appear to be original as it were.

Could Moparhound elaborate more on what 440 source said about availability of new 440RB blocks.  I couldn't get the link to work.  Did they say when or what the $$ might be?  Isn't a "seasoned" block actually more desirable than a new one?

supserdave

I sold a bare 70 block, non hp, for 450 bucks. For steel crank 70-72 truck motors complete I would probably pay up to 350.....Just depends on the area and the numbers as was stated.

MOPARHOUND!

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on April 19, 2007, 05:41:05 PM
Could Moparhound elaborate more on what 440 source said about availability of new 440RB blocks.  I couldn't get the link to work.  Did they say when or what the $$ might be?  Isn't a "seasoned" block actually more desirable than a new one?

Fixed the link.

Target price thought to be in the $1500 range???  Currently guys wanting to step up from a factory 440 block to the next level can't, as the aftermarket blocks aren't affordable for most.  Some aftermarket blocks are in the $3500 to $4500 range.

The block will feature many improvements over the factory block, including possible boring up to 4.5".  Factory blocks typically okay to 650 HP, 440source block to be designed for 1000+ HP.  With their 4.50" stoker crank kit, up to 572 cid would be possible.
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

BrianShaughnessy

I paid $400 for a XL29L block w/ crank (no rods or pistons) and a pair of big valve 906s awhile back.

Maybe it'd be worth your while to see how much you could market 500" shortblocks for.      That's what I'm in the market for.    Whether to build up something here or just buy it and swap my E heads onto is the question.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Steve P.

I scored a 74 motor home block with forged crank for $100 . It was a low mile motor and have since had it checked. .003 taper on standard bore and perfect crank...   

This was the deal of a lifetime..  Most 440 w/cast cranks and from pan to carb fetch $500 and more here in West Central Florida.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

firefighter3931

Quote from: Steve P. on April 20, 2007, 08:43:11 PM
I scored a 74 motor home block with forged crank for $100 . It was a low mile motor and have since had it checked. .003 taper on standard bore and perfect crank...   

This was the deal of a lifetime..  Most 440 w/cast cranks and from pan to carb fetch $500 and more here in West Central Florida.

Thief !  :nana: :haha: :lol:
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Steve P.

He he he he he.....    :D
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

70kracken

here in the central valley, a guy could get 500 to 700 bucks for a complete motor.  a bare block is about a 100 from a machine shop.
RELEASE THE KRACKEN

Challenger340

Just sold one for $1000 cnd. cash to a guy who heard "word of mouth" from a friend, who hangs in the resto crowd locally, I was selling off some of my cores ! YIPEE !

That was his reply, to my saying "make me an offer". Thank GOD I kept my mouth shut, and let him do the talking first.

It was a 1970. Pulled heads(906) and pan, all good, he's gonna just re-ring and go, no bore taper(.004)to speak of, std/std/std., he's HAPPY too ! Going to a good home, 70 GTX, won't be "numbers", but next best.

I couldn't GIVE these things away as a shop/engine builder !
NONE of my guys wanted 'em !
Now, this guys friends are all phoning, 3 more on hold.

Thanks for the imput fellas, but, I think I've found the right market now.