News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to get overspray off chrome bumpers and trim?

Started by 69-DodgeCharger, April 21, 2007, 09:12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69-DodgeCharger

I just recently got a 1977 Caprice Classic and the guy was telling me about the terrible primer job they did to the vehicle. Well anyway, they didnt take off the bumpers or trim, they just taped most of the trim and left the bumpers and taillights exposed and some of the primer got onto the chrome bumpers and trim and I am wondering how to get that off without ruining the chrome? It is also on one of the taillights. Can anyone help me out?

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Silver R/T on April 21, 2007, 04:21:48 PM
some paint thinner on a rag

use thinner on a rag and i garrentee youll have a melted tailight ...........on the trim or the bumper yes use the thinner but be carefull that you keep it away from paint or plastic!!!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Silver R/T

you might try some wax and grease remover on more sensitive areas such as plastic. Depending how old is overspray it'll come off easy. Usually start with more mild solvent and go up as needed

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

69bananabeast

1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318
1932 Ford Rat Rod   (under construction)

Silver R/T

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

daytonalo

CLAY BAR , CLAY BAR , CLAY BAR , CLAY BAR , GET THE IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!

Arigmaster

On Glass and Chrome, I used ultra-fine steel wool. It also will clean up any rust that might have bled over it from before body & paint repair or from pin hole rust in the trim. I follow that with FLITZ polish and a soft rag.

If the trim is already on the car, put some 2" masking tape on the paint area tight to the trim and make sure you blow the steel wool off the area and make sure you get any pieces that get stuck between the trim and paint out. Take your time and let the steel wool do the work.

As for plastic parts... I use really hot water and a wash cloth. It's harder work but you won't compramise the plastic.

For rubber parts, I use all purpose laquer thinner and a shop rag then follow with armor-all (don't do this if the piece is on the car next to paint.

400/6/PAC

Just remember
Don't use your fingertips.
Try flat palm as much as you can and take it slow.
Let the abrassive do the work and don't try to dig in.
No matter how fine, abrassive is abrassive.
You don't want to scratch your finnish.

Rolling_Thunder

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip