News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'09 Challenger... Mopar Muscle

Started by Blackdog, September 12, 2005, 05:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackdog

Some might already know about this but for those that don't you might find it interesting.

"Everything Old Is New Again

Enter the '09 Dodge Challenger.
There is little to speculate about when it comes to Mopar Muscle's opinion of the new Charger. DCX failed to win over the purists and '60s Mopar aficionados, apart from waving the magic 425hp combination in front of their noses. A curvaceous, sharply designed sedan with many creature comfrots, the Charger fell sort of hard-core enthusiasts' aspirations. Never intended to be a two-door sports coupe, the Charger was aimed at te suburbanites and professionals an ultra-competitive market.

According to Rick Kranz of Automotive News, as reported in June's Autoweek, 6/13/05, the Challenger, expected to debut in 2009 on the LX platform, will share the same design cues as the Chrysler 300C, Charger, and Magnum station wagon. The final drafting of the Challenger is still somewhat of a mystery, as "Chrysler officials are not talking about the car, but industry analysts say they are familar with the plans." The new Challenger is expected to compete with the retro-designed Mustang that has recently exceeded initial sales projections, causing output numbers to be increased for the next production year. The numbers give credence to America's desire for automakers to pay tribute to their musclecar genealogy with designs influenced by past ponycars. "It is a two-door, essentially a competitor for the Mustang," says Catherine Madden, a production analyst for Global Insight, an industry research group. "They are really excited about it. "Madden states the sports coupe is planned to debut in early 2009, the same time that the next-generation LX vehicles are to be re-engineered and restyled.

Though Chrysler officials have kept a tight lid on the possible designs of the car, production numbers projections have been released. Estimated to match the venerale Mustang's production, DCX plans on selling 60,000 to 70,000 cars in the first year. "The enthusiasm for that product,"Madden continues, "is very big." With the introduction of the Charger, Charger R/T, Daytona R/T, and SRT-8 this year, DCX will be testing the waters with the recent shot in the arm to the reception of the Charger and other SRT manifestations, the dream of the totally moder, two-door, 425-horse Hemi-powered Challenger might becoume a reality."

Mopar Muscle
MoPAR is in the blood. 1974 Dodge Charger SE - Mine, 1966 Plymouth Sport Fury - Fathers

BigBlackDodge

According to Rick Kranz of Automotive News, as reported in June's Autoweek, 6/13/05, the Challenger, expected to debut in 2009 on the LX platform, will share the same design cues as the Chrysler 300C, Charger, and Magnum station wagon.

........thats not good. :icon_smile_blackeye:

BBD

69bananabeast

if the designing is going to be similiar and have two doors  that's not going to be near enough change to compete with the Stang  :rotz:
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318
1932 Ford Rat Rod   (under construction)

70charginglizard

Idiots....they just don't get it do they.
70charginglizard

694spdRT

2009 is too long to wait IMO. If they are hoping to ride the "new" Mustang wave it will be old news by then. A plan for a 2 door Charger/Challenger should have been in the works in 1999, then it would have been ready for the current "Muscle car" craze.   
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

dd44068

Two things jumped at me from that article.  1st the Chally being based on the magnum platform. :down:  2nd it is supposed to be retro designed.  :thumbs:  This is a case of prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
When I was just a very young lad I looked up and told my dad, a bareback rider's what I wanna be.  I want the whole world to know about me.  In the rodeo arena I'll make my stand.  I wanna be a rodeo man.  I'll come flyin' from the chute with my spurs up high, chaps and boots reachin' for the sky.  Spurin' wild with my head throwed back, you'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.  You'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.

jaak

maybe when the chally comes out we wont have to see a thousand new charger threads a day,  :) just chally threads ::)

Stormhammer

Quote from: 694spdRT on September 12, 2005, 08:25:54 PM
2009 is too long to wait IMO. If they are hoping to ride the "new" Mustang wave it will be old news by then. A plan for a 2 door Charger/Challenger should have been in the works in 1999, then it would have been ready for the current "Muscle car" craze.   

you know - thinking about it - won't really have been the first ime  :icon_smile_blackeye:

I seem to recall it taking 6 years for a Challenger to go after a Mustang

Mass_Mopar

2 doors, 6.1L Hemi, don't short us now and only offer a slushbox.  I just may disown the company
-Nick

70 Charger 500 383/833 pistol grip 3.91sg
71 New Yorker 440/Auto
04 Ram 5.7L 4x4 5spd 3.92 Auburn Posi
Old screen name MA_Young_Gun

bull

Quote from: jaak on September 12, 2005, 10:40:19 PM
maybe when the chally comes out we wont have to see a thousand new charger threads a day,   :) just chally threads ::)

I hope you are right. I'd much rather be proud of Chrysler's creations rather than embarrassed, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Chryco Psycho

too late as usual & if it only has a slush box .....Who cares  ::)

Silver R/T

maybe if theyll get this car right and not screw it up Ill get one then
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Dale The Bold

Well, we have a Magnum Wagon, a Magnum Sedan...let's build the Magnum Coupe!

The new Mustang isn't exceeding my sales expectations.  But to be fair, I'm actually aware that there is a market for good looking cars.
Matt. 14:8 (KJV) "And she, being before instructed of her mother, said, 'give me here John Baptist's head in a Charger.'"

41husk

Charger Bill needs to send them some drawings, several of his versions I would buy!
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: 253862656971 on September 12, 2005, 10:22:56 PM
Two things jumped at me from that article.   1st the Chally being based on the magnum platform. :down:   2nd it is supposed to be retro designed.   :thumbs:   This is a case of prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Same platform...............okay.....................it's the 'will share the same design cues' that worries me.

BBD

Highbanked Hauler

I have said it on the old board and I hold to it, Mercedes wants to kill off Chrysler.Between dragging their feet when now is the time for the retro look and producing the  06 Charger they will get their wish. :icon_smile_angry:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

6670charger

Two doors and a retro design on an LX platform car?  I thought there wasn't a market for two doors.  I'm not a big fan of wagons, but, it's a sad day when a station wagon like the Magnum is a cooler car than the Dodge Charger.  According to a recent article I read about the new Challenger, they ended by saying that "depending on how well the Charger, Magnum and 300 do, a Challenger is a definite posssibility."

If that's the case, any of you who want a new Challenger in a few years had better start buying your LX Chargers now.  I, however, am officially done with Dodge.  It's a shame, because my motto had always been "only Dodge in my garage."
Proudly Confusing The Crap Out Of People Since 1963

694spdRT

This weekend I was talking to a Chrysler Regional Manager at the Monster Mopar show and he said the sales of the Mustang have opened up the eyes of those in charge. From what he has heard there will be designs available at the next big meeting. The big thing is the poor timing....three years is a long time to miss out in the car industry.        
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

6670charger

Proudly Confusing The Crap Out Of People Since 1963

694spdRT

Quote from: 66charger on September 14, 2005, 04:38:40 PM
Designs for what?  

The '09 Challenger.

I probably should have said "exterior renderings" of possible designs. I seriously doubt any of this will be available to the general public anytime soon though.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: 694spdRT on September 14, 2005, 09:09:21 AM
This weekend I was talking to a Chrysler Regional Manager at the Monster Mopar show and he said the sales of the Mustang have opened up the eyes of those in charge. From what he has heard there will be designs available at the next big meeting. The big thing is the poor timing....three years is a long time to miss out in the car industry.        

An affordable v-8 rwd 2 door retro muscle car.....................who would-a thunk it !!!!!! :o

Every car guy/gal thats who....................if they would only listen to what the people want instead of telling them want they want. Now they know better.................maybe....... ::) How long has it been since they've had a 2 door v-8???????????.........the old Magnums, 25 plus years???............Geez.   :-[

And they wonder why we cling to the past. :rotz:

BBD

andy74

i am a dodge dealer , and the only thing i can say is DCX can kiss my ass,im gonna sell as much used cars as i can from now on

Khyron

wow, i'm an ass :lol:

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

BigBlackDodge