News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 Dodge Charger radiator:

Started by Captain D, April 22, 2007, 03:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain D

Hello,

I'm searching around for a new 69' Charger radiator. Unfortunately, I'm not having much luck. The Paddock.com doesn't even sell them and just for kicks I tried Advance Auto Parts...agin w/ no luck.

Now, I have seen 70' Dodge Charger radiators at a few places, such as The Paddock.com. Just out of curiosity, would a 70" Charger radiator work well in a 69' Charger by chance? If not, any ideas where I might find a new radiator for my 69' Charger?

"Thank you" for your time and for any responses,
Aaron
dunnsville_va@yahoo.com

Charger-Bodie

a radiator for a 70 will work in a 69 as long as you use a 70 shroud with it
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Just 6T9 CHGR

:iagree:  thats what I had in my car.  A Modine replacement rad...which was modeled after a 70 style rad
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

mikepmcs

I need a shroud.... anyone got any leads?

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

moparjohn

Yes. Yes, Yes I have a brand new MP shroud part #2998326.  I bought it friday at Carlisle BUT it's wrong for a 69!!! (next time bring the book) SO I looked it's for a 70.  I paid $75 dollars. I will sell for $75.00 including ship.  Now, does anyone have a #2785434 shroud?
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Chatt69chgr

US Radiator out of California makes a radiator for the 69.  Thats where Year One gets theirs.  And they have several core levels available.  Also, they are all brass.

Captain D

Thanks for the responses!

So, I can buy a 70' Charger radiator (for a big-block motor), but then purchase a 70' "shroud."
Thanks for the responses; I enjoy learning about this stuff!
Aaron

70charger_boy

The shroud is the round thing that covers the fan

69CoronetRT

Quote from: 70charger_boy on April 22, 2007, 10:05:08 PM
The shroud is the round thing that covers the fan

Pic of '69 053 radiator with 130 shroud
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Captain D

Awesome pics and info, thanks guys! I don't see any prices for the 66-69' Dodge Big-Block, V-8 radiators. I'll contact them tomorrow, but if anyone reads this tonight, any idea of the prices (no prices listed on their site)?

Also, just to double-check...lets say that I decide to keep the 70" shroud on this 70' radiator for my 1969 Charger. It would still be just as "functional" as having a 69' shroud? Only that the design would not be correct for that particular year, is that correct?

Thanks again,
Aaron

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Captain D on April 22, 2007, 11:28:26 PM
Awesome pics and info, thanks guys! I don't see any prices for the 66-69' Dodge Big-Block, V-8 radiators. I'll contact them tomorrow, but if anyone reads this tonight, any idea of the prices (no prices listed on their site)?

Also, just to double-check...since it is possible to put a 70' Charger radiator onto a 69' Charger, when you say to change the shroud (from a 70' to a 69'), this may sound like a dumb question to ask but...lets say that I may decide keep the 70" shroud on this 70' radiator for my 1969 Charger. It would still be just as "functional" as having a 69' shroud. Only that the design would not be correct for that particular year, is that correct?

Thanks again,
Aaron

functionally yes, it will work fine, its just that 68- 69 shrouds have studs on the ratiator that stick thru the shroud and it held on with nuts. the 70 style has small clips on the raiator and screws holding it on
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: moparjohn on April 22, 2007, 08:15:17 PM
Yes. Yes, Yes I have a brand new MP shroud part #2998326. I bought it friday at Carlisle BUT it's wrong for a 69!!! (next time bring the book) SO I looked it's for a 70. I paid $75 dollars. I will sell for $75.00 including ship. Now, does anyone have a #2785434 shroud?

John, Mancini Racing sells them NOS for $75.95   Dont do it online though.  Call & tell them you saw the ad in MCG to get the special pricing.  I just bought one for my car
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Captain D

1hot68 - Thank you for the reply and for the clarification!

High regards,
Aaron

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on April 22, 2007, 05:41:30 PM
:iagree:  thats what I had in my car.  A Modine replacement rad...which was modeled after a 70 style rad
I thought you got a core and used your tanks and side bracketts?? :confused:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

mikepmcs

Great, I just looked at my radiator and it has no numbers on top.  Am I screwed or what?

v/r
Mike

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on April 23, 2007, 05:44:43 PM
Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on April 22, 2007, 05:41:30 PM
I thought you got a core and used your tanks and side bracketts?? :confused:

Read my post....thats what I HAD in my car.   I now have a correct "055" rad that I had recored.

I HAD this Modine in the car before my new "055"
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

mikepmcs

Thanks Chris
That picture actually helped because it looks just like mine, so I must have a modine replacement.

What shroud will fit that? Both 69 and 70?

v/r
Mike

Charger-Bodie

mike they made the bothe in aftermarket for a while so check youres first but the shroud fits the radiator that has thin mounting brackets and small places for screw clips and the 68 69 one has a bigger area for the shroud to mount and holes where the the studs should be but ive never seen an aft market one with the studs already in place i hope this hepl .........if you can post a decent pic of the engine side of youre radiator i could be of more help!

mikepmcs

Brian,
yes my radiator has the thin brackets with a hole in them like you would put those little retainer clip things(no  studs).  Meaning I would have to get those(heck i'll just use some of my leftover clips form speaker installing) and some screws to attach a shroud.

So the aftermarket shrould would work if I'm reading your post correctly.

I will post a picture later on this afternoon with a close up of what i'm talking about.

I think you nailed it though.

v/r
Mike

Just 6T9 CHGR

That Modine replacement I had has the 4 hole 70 shroud part # 2998326 which is retained with 4 bolts  (2 on each side equally)

The 69 shroud is retailed by 5 nuts (studs built into the rad brackets)  they have 3 studs on one side & 2 on the other....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

daytonalo

How much is going to cost me for a 70 -4 core rad from modine , and who has the best prices ?????????????????

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: daytonalo on April 24, 2007, 09:18:23 AM
How much is going to cost me for a 70 -4 core rad from modine , and who has the best prices ?????????????????
Larry, i believe you are SOL....Modine has discontinued this rad about 3-4 years ago....Im not sure who is making any type of rad now...
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Captain D

Has anyone had any experience with this aluminum radiator:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300102467936

I wrote to the seller and they don't have any stock shrouds, only ones with the electric fans (which, I'm assuming are a lot more $$ than the basic stock shrouds). If I were to go this route, does anybody know where I can get a basic/stock shroud to go with this?

After all said and done, I'm probably gonna be paying as much for this as I would with a 70' Charger Radiator + shroud for my 69' Charger (or go w/ a custom radiator for my 69' Charger).

Thanks for any replies,
Aaron

Charger-Bodie

i personally like things to look stock so i wouldnt usr the alluminum radiator but if that stuff doesnt bother you than go for it

Captain D

I totally agree with you my friend. Even though I'm a detailed minded person w/ my Charger, the only thing that kinda leaned me towards the aluminum radiators is the lightweight n' coolant abilities. However, I'm still shopping around for stock as well   ;)...

High regards,
Aaron

ps- If anybody knows where I may find a new 69' or 70' Charger radiator that has the input/output holes for the drivers' side only for a 383 block motor, auto, v-8, I'd love to hear about it. I have a few places that I may call, such as US Radiator, but if anybody knows of a particular place w/ reasonable prices, please feel free to drop me a line. Thanks!

mikepmcs

Crap, forgot to post the pics like i said I would.  here is that little mounting hole i'm talking about. :icon_smile_big:

v/r
Mike

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: mikepmcs on April 27, 2007, 06:59:04 AM
Crap, forgot to post the pics like i said I would.  here is that little mounting hole i'm talking about. :icon_smile_big:

v/r
Mike

yes sir mike that would be a 70 style radiator!

Just 6T9 CHGR

There should be a J-nut clip attached to there to accept the bolt that holds on the shroud
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

justin1987

Quote from: Captain D on April 26, 2007, 01:30:58 PM
Has anyone had any experience with this aluminum radiator:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300102467936

I wrote to the seller and they don't have any stock shrouds, only ones with the electric fans (which, I'm assuming are a lot more $$ than the basic stock shrouds). If I were to go this route, does anybody know where I can get a basic/stock shroud to go with this?

After all said and done, I'm probably gonna be paying as much for this as I would with a 70' Charger Radiator + shroud for my 69' Charger (or go w/ a custom radiator for my 69' Charger).

Thanks for any replies,
Aaron

You can get that exact same radiator from Summitt Racing for $269 plus shipping. We just got ours from them yesterday. Also, www.partzfinder.com has 10 inch fans for $30 a piece.