News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Not sure if this should go here... Cherry picker problem

Started by Rack, April 22, 2007, 02:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rack

So I recently pulled the engine out of my charger. Had to keep the engine hanging from the cherry picker for a night cuz I didn't have the bolts needed to put it on the engine stand (not sure if that has anything to do with the problem).

So anyway, now my cherry picker won't "go down". It's staying "erect", for lack of a better word. I loosened the valve bolt (whatever it's called) and it won't go down. It'll still jack up higher (even with the bolt loosened), but it won't go down no matter what I do. I even hung from it myself. Obviously there's some kind of problem with the valve not allowing the pressure to be released. Anyone ever have this problem? Anyone know what I need to do to fix it?

Thank you  :coolgleamA:

jackel440

:o First thing you should do is get some sturdy cribbing(solid wood blocking) under your engine so if it does decide to let go you won't drop the engine on the floor and cause damage.be careful as an engine hanging in the air is definatly dangerous.the potetial energy if it falls on you or someone wouldn't be good.
I would suspect like you said something has gotten stuck in the release valve.I would either crib up the engine or try and get a chain fall attached to it,and then when you get the load stabalized try and take the valve out and see if it will go down. :shruggy:

MorePwr

I would try putting some more fluid in it and pumping it up. I had a bottle jack that used to get stuck when the fluid was getting low. good luck

Rack

Quote from: jackel440 on April 22, 2007, 06:56:04 AM
:o First thing you should do is get some sturdy cribbing(solid wood blocking) under your engine so if it does decide to let go you won't drop the engine on the floor and cause damage.be careful as an engine hanging in the air is definatly dangerous.the potetial energy if it falls on you or someone wouldn't be good.
I would suspect like you said something has gotten stuck in the release valve.I would either crib up the engine or try and get a chain fall attached to it,and then when you get the load stabalized try and take the valve out and see if it will go down. :shruggy:

Well luckily I had already put the engine on the engine stand before the problem started up. So there's nothing hanging on the cherry picker now.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll go try them out now.

RogerDodger

So its got one of those erections that last more than for hours. What do they call that? :boogie:

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: RogerDodger on April 24, 2007, 06:49:36 PM
So its got one of those erections that last more than for hours. What do they call that? :boogie:

" a lucky stiff"
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Rack

Quote from: RogerDodger on April 24, 2007, 06:49:36 PM

Been almost a week now. :D

I took out the release valve bolt and only a little oil came out. I thought those things used grease, not oil?

Can someone explain to me how to regrease/oil the dang thing? It still won't go down. I had to take it apart so I can shut my garage. I'm thinking of just replacing the cylinder but I can't find that place (lincoln automotive) on the internet. I google it and it shows me lincolns (the cars) not an actual store/site.