News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 outta a Motorhome?

Started by SirNik73, April 21, 2007, 02:08:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirNik73

OK. I went to pick'n'pull and got a 429 for my friends Lincoln, while there I saw a 440 in a motor home. The 429 only cost him $150 if the 440 will work I want to go get it. But about 3 years ago I had a friend with a trashed motor home who was taking it to the junkyard so I pulled the engine out of that. It was a 413, but it was an industrial engine. I had the tall head with the sodium filled valves, and the water crossover in the intake. I didn't buy the 440 when I saw it because I was worried it might be the same kind of engine. Should I but the engine from the motor home?
1973 Charger SE
1973 Charger Parts car
1968 Couger... got this one for free! and it looks like it was free :)
1983 Toyota Tercel 4x4 Daily Driver
1984 Mercedes-Benz 300SD

GTX

Ummm, yes!

Can you get it for that price or thereabouts? Around here you'd pay that just for old 906 cores.

As long as it's not totally runout I'd be looking it over with money in hand.
What year is it? Almost positive a later block(mid 70's) and I have no problem with them although I'd prefer the early ones like everyone else.

Once, years ago I found  a '68 440 in a Chrysler that was missing wires, distributor and carb. I hauled all the junk out there and put it on, checked it all out cranked it and the thing fired right up and ran. They sold it as a core for $150.00 Later that day they told me that they were running short on manpower and asked if I wanted the 727 still attached and all of the engine externals like the air cond compressor and alternator for the same price. I said yup!!
That was over 10 years ago.

I guess in some parts of the country the motors are still more plentiful but around here they are getting more scarce. If it were me I'd be running to look at it again.

SirNik73

i always keep my eye out. but most BB or RB blocks are expencive. for just the block! so when i saw the 440 i got excited. I had a 400 that i was building in class, but it got stolen. my car has a 400 but i wanted to go bigger, so i was gonna try and stroke the 400 in my engine class. but now that its been stolen... i don't care about stroking it any more. i just want a new engine.
1973 Charger SE
1973 Charger Parts car
1968 Couger... got this one for free! and it looks like it was free :)
1983 Toyota Tercel 4x4 Daily Driver
1984 Mercedes-Benz 300SD

Steve P.

Crapppppppppp.. Where the hell do you go to school??

Go back to the junk yard and look just to the right of the distributer for a nearly square pad. On the top of that pad it will say 440 if it is a 440... It may have the industrial style water pump and heads though.. What year is it??
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

CharlieCharger

Quote from: Steve P. on April 28, 2007, 10:29:20 PM
Crapppppppppp.. Where the hell do you go to school??

Go back to the junk yard and look just to the right of the distributer for a nearly square pad. On the top of that pad it will say 440 if it is a 440... It may have the industrial style water pump and heads though.. What year is it??
The school of hard knocks :D
Earth. Even the word sounded strange to me now... unfamiliar. How long had I been gone? How long had I been back? Did it matter? I tried to find the rhythm of the world where I used to live. I followed the current. I was silent, attentive, I made a conscious effort to smile, nod, stand, and perform the millions of gestures that constitute life on earth. I studied these gestures until they became reflexes again. But I was haunted by the idea that I remembered her wrong -Solaris

Needa68

We have a 440 out of a 77 motorhome. We are going to put it into a 68 Charger. It has larger water jackets and should cool better. I sort of freaked about using a "smog era" 440, but this web site convinced me that the later blocks we just as good and in a few ways slightly better.

http://www.440source.com/blockinfo.htm

Also check out these pages on our BLOG to see the engine we got. We got the Winnebago for 200 bucks!!!

http://geocities.com/robertmitchell32000/CHARGER/TheMitchells68Charger.html

Drive fast, make the light.

The Mitchell & Mitchell 1968 Dodge Restorations

http://www.68dodgerestorations.com

Big Lebowski

Quote from: SirNik73 on April 21, 2007, 02:08:26 AM
OK. I went to pick'n'pull and got a 429 for my friends Lincoln, while there I saw a 440 in a motor home. The 429 only cost him $150 if the 440 will work I want to go get it. But about 3 years ago I had a friend with a trashed motor home who was taking it to the junkyard so I pulled the engine out of that. It was a 413, but it was an industrial engine. I had the tall head with the sodium filled valves, and the water crossover in the intake. I didn't buy the 440 when I saw it because I was worried it might be the same kind of engine. Should I but the engine from the motor home?

You didn't say what year motorhome...what year block casting...engine #'s...Steel balancer/cast balancer? If it's a 413, keep the crank (it's a 440 crank) and trash the rest. If it's a low compression smogged '77 cast 440 motor, well then keep it under 5500rpm. :D
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."