News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Did I go overboard?

Started by GTX, April 20, 2007, 10:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

First, I have no pics right now since it's dark so bear with me, maybe tomorrow.

When I got my car ( the Charger not the 'X') it was missing front seats and I had to go searching. I found what appeared to be a nice set of seats and the undersides didn't show much sign of damage so I bought them. When I tore down the old upholstery though.......yep, classic story. Total rust through on the springs.

I got another set and they were good so I cleaned them up really good, took the frames including the rear seat down to bare metal, prepped with Rustshield which is also a top coat if you want to leave it as that but I put on several coats of gloss black followed by clear coat just for the hell of it on most of it.

I REALLY hate rusty seats so I did all this but you'll never see 90% of it when they are recovered.
Too much or about right?

Shakey

I would have done the same!   :yesnod:

red72chrgr

Better to do it now than have maybe come back later? Be a b**** to take the covers off and have to do it over.
Nothing personal, just business

Spartan

I did the same thing.  I was told by some went too far for something you won't see but I know what is under the covers and I wanted it to look like new and be rust free.
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

GTX

I totally agree and that's was part of my thinking. It would be a bugger to pull off new covers risking damage just to repair or replace bad frames.

Quote from: red72chrgr on April 21, 2007, 09:08:37 AM
Better to do it now than have maybe come back later? Be a b**** to take the covers off and have to do it over.

CharlieCharger

I would have done the same thing, for the reason that I would know the rust was there, therefore driving me insane  :D
Earth. Even the word sounded strange to me now... unfamiliar. How long had I been gone? How long had I been back? Did it matter? I tried to find the rhythm of the world where I used to live. I followed the current. I was silent, attentive, I made a conscious effort to smile, nod, stand, and perform the millions of gestures that constitute life on earth. I studied these gestures until they became reflexes again. But I was haunted by the idea that I remembered her wrong -Solaris

19Charger68

I agree with everyone else here.  You did good!
Bruce

LargerCharger383

I always try and do whatever I can when I have something apart, to avoid having to redo it later.  hidden rust bugs the crap outta me too.

Winged 1

;)
Over board, I dont think so.. The only thing I would do different is run them to a powder coater. Only like 20 to 30 bucks. Cheap compared to trying to get paint all around the springs..
Other wise you done good.
Eric

Back N Black

I would have done the same, a couple of my buddies where over a couple of days ago and they think i'm too anal with things. I just tell them if you don't have the time to do it right the first time where will you get the time to do it right the second time. :scratchchin:

GTX

I like that!
Very true, it takes a ton of time to do these with lot's of attention to details and if you can't spend the extra hour here and there then you just end up costing yourself more work later. I say this even though I'm not interested in a 100 point resto. You get into it and find that while you have this apart you might as well do this or that......
Initially I thought that I'd have my car back on the road much sooner even though after the GTX I pretty much knew what I was in for. Now I keep changing my mind and doing this just a little better or that a little more accurately than I originally planned. Even though I spent tons and tons of time on the GTX now I'm wanting to go back and redo parts of it differently after the Charger. If I had done the GTX that way originally then I wouldn't have to go back and change some things. In fact I think I'll end up doing about 50% over again partly because it's time and partly because now I want it different and better. Fortunately nothing really serious though, just those pesky details.

Of course you guys keep me on my toes. I see what others have done and kick myself for not doing it like that.   :brickwall:

Quote from: Back N Black on April 25, 2007, 12:46:17 PM
I would have done the same, a couple of my buddies where over a couple of days ago and they think I'm too anal with things. I just tell them if you don't have the time to do it right the first time where will you get the time to do it right the second time. :scratchchin: