News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What tools are in your garage?

Started by GTX, April 20, 2007, 02:53:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

We've seen some really nice garages and shops in a past thread but what do you have for a tool selection?

Some of you have some really impressive setups like lifts etc and huge shops but the rest of us struggle with tiny spaces.
What do you cram in there as your tool selection to do your work with?

I just have 2 or 3 tool chests that hold my misc hand tools, power tools, air tools and paint guns. A small rickety table with a vise on it, a media cabinet for blasting small to medium sized parts. A parts cleaning tank, Lincoln mig welder, oxy torch setup but I need new tanks, vertical tank air compressor. Car dolly's, a cherry picker, wall mounted vac (Hoover GUV) , a smaller wet vac, some trolley jacks, jack stands, lights and some engine stands with my engines. Not too bad I guess but it's not a real shop either and I struggle sometimes when I don't have what I need.

I'd like to get a trans jack sometime but mostly, I'd like more room!!

mikesbbody

you can never have enough tools, just like you can never have enough spares i dont have anything fancy but lucky for me i have a friend who has alot of great tool so i just go to his place when i need too!

BlueSS454

I have everything I need to fully rebuild and restore all aspects of a car :).  I figured it's easier to say that than list everything in the garage.  I will post up some pics of the new shop when were done building it though.
Tom Rightler

Shakey

My tool supply (and garage space) at my home is minimal, hence the reason for my car being out at My In-Laws farm.  My Father-in-Law has more tools than one can imagine.  He has about 7 or 8 of those tool chests (five foot tall) between the barn, the shop and the garage at the house, and they're all packed full.  I'd bet that I could round up 25 different ratchet sets - easily. 

He has tools that I never even knew existed and some I come across, he has to explain as to what they are for, including his homemade tools.  When I was doing the suspension on my car I had told him that I might need to buy some tools to do the job properly and showed him the photos of the tools needed that were currently available from American Muscle.  I only ordered the upper ball joint tool and he made the rest himself. 

As far as welders, a sandblaster, three different presses, a plasma cutter, a couple different drill presses, metal cutting band saw, a portable band saw (how often does one need a portable band saw), a lathe or two and pretty much anything else you can think of - he's got it.

He was a mechanic by trade from the late '60's on, plus he has all of the tools he requires to keep his farm and the machinery running all year 'round.  When he is not working at keeping his farm running, helping me or playing with my children, he has every tool and machine needed for his wood working projects, that he rarely gets to.  There is nothing the man cannot do - he amazes me!

I consider myself one of the luckiest guys on Earth as I have free reign with these items and he let me marry his Daughter five years ago.

Here is a shot of the garage where my car is parked with just a sampling of the tools stuffed in there.

Back N Black

So Shakey are you the only son- in law or the favorite son in law ? Does he have any more daughters available? (J/K)  ;)

kab69440

Quote from: GTX on April 20, 2007, 02:53:05 AM
We've seen some really nice garages and shops in a past thread but what do you have for a tool selection?

Some of you have some really impressive setups like lifts etc and huge shops but the rest of us struggle with tiny spaces.
What do you cram in there as your tool selection to do your work with?

I just have 2 or 3 tool chests that hold my misc hand tools, power tools, air tools and paint guns. A small rickety table with a vise on it, a media cabinet for blasting small to medium sized parts. A parts cleaning tank, Lincoln mig welder, oxy torch setup but I need new tanks, vertical tank air compressor. Car dolly's, a cherry picker, wall mounted vac (Hoover GUV) , a smaller wet vac, some trolley jacks, jack stands, lights and some engine stands with my engines. Not too bad I guess but it's not a real shop either and I struggle sometimes when I don't have what I need.

I'd like to get a trans jack sometime but mostly, I'd like more room!!

I hear you, GTX. A tranny jack is a must have. About 4 years ago I had to put a clutch in my Power Ram. Let me tell you, all that cast iron isn't light. I came near to killing or severely maiming myself putting in the transfer case.  Just when I got the splines to line up and it slid solidly on to the output
shaft, I relaxed my very tired arms a bit, and it came sliding back off and stopped with my right arm pinned behind my head and  the u-joint yoke less than an inch from the bridge of my nose. Did you know a shoulder only rotates so far up and back? I do, and it hurt like a son-of-a-mother for 2 months afterward. I was in posession of a tranny jack in short order after that one.

Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Chatt69chgr

I have most of the typical hand tools mentioned.  I do have an oxy/acetylene setup and blasting cabinet with vertical air compressor plus drill press and 14 inch cutoff saw.  One thing I picked up was some of the cabinets Lowe's used to have their sockets in before they went to the hanging tabs.  They are the blue ones that they still use to house stainless hardware and plumbing fittings in.  I got 10 of those which I stacked 4 high in one location and 3X3 at another location.  They have really helped organize my parts.  I got some old school lockers for free and use those for paint can storage.  My garage is one of those with a 16 foot door but the charger goes inside so there isn't a lot of leftover room.  I would really like to get a Miller Mig before too long.  There are lots of tools at Harbor Freight I would like to have now but just don't have room for.  What I dream of is a 25X40 foot detached shop.  That will have to wait until I move to another place.  I started working on cars when I was about 14 and have been described as a tool freak which is true.  I love tools.  I am just happy that a lot of them have come down in price to a level I can afford.

Telvis

I have a lot of tools. I can't think of much I don't have. I would like a lift and more room.

I have been giving my son a few tools every Christmas since he was about 5 years old. He turns 13 in July and has a pretty decent collection.

Shakey

Quote from: Back N Black on April 20, 2007, 08:41:30 AM
So Shakey are you the only son- in law or the favorite son in law ? Does he have any more daughters available? (J/K)  ;)

I'm the only son-in-law as they only have the one daughter.  She's got twin brothers if you're interested, but that might be a tough sell!   :D

Doright

I have more tools than I care to list but had a thief come threw a while back who got away with about 10k worth  :flame: so I would rather not say what I have left.
Suffice to say I have what I need and what I don't have I make or buy. :D (still re buying what was stolen. :flame:)

Two things your never have enough of Tool's and room! :D
Doright
A&P FCC 
I play with cars because Jets are way too serious to be fun any more
I have so many car projects that cars are beginning to be no fun any more

GTX

I forgot my pressure washer!!

Sometime back someone was offering slightly damaged washers downstairs in the garage sale section. I was always at the back of the line but really wanted one so I finally picked one up and now it's a regular part of my tool selection. I've found a hundred used for it already including a neat parts washer for the large dirty parts that can't get tanked.  Cleaned up an old 727 like nothing!

Also nice for chasing cats out of my backyard!   ;D

Charger-Bodie

i dont have jack for tools in my garage but then i do have a few at the shop :D
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Steve P.

Oh my God, John. You're breaking my heart.....  :scared:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

moparguy01

John, some days i just hate you. Dear god your setup in that place.

Silver R/T

Got air tools, hand tools, air compressor, sand blaster, powder coater, mig welder, etc.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

ChargerSG

Got to much to list, but i will never get enuff :D
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

Shakey

Quote from: John_Kunkel on April 20, 2007, 04:34:32 PM

The nightmare of clutter that I call my shop:

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1751254&a=13489737&f=

I'd say that's pretty organized if you ask me!   :yesnod:

Nice collection.

Oh yeah - the Viper - that's cool.

High Impact

Heres mine.  Could be cleaner. :coolgleamA:

dongar69

Did you know that you can disassemble apx 80% (exaggeration?) of new cars with
a 10mm wrench? I have one. A10 mm wrench, not a new car. Oh, plus a 1200 sq ft shop for my Charger.

dpm68

I never have enough and always buy more. If it were worth it to take a pic of my hovel, I would, but maybe this summer...

Back N Black

Quote from: John_Kunkel on April 20, 2007, 04:34:32 PM

The nightmare of clutter that I call my shop:

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1751254&a=13489737&f=

That sucks, how can you work in such conditions! (J/K) I can only dream, did i mention that I'm up for adoption.  ;D

CharlieCharger

I'm gonna start making my Christmas list..shesh all that stuff makes me feel like a looser  :icon_smile_big:
Earth. Even the word sounded strange to me now... unfamiliar. How long had I been gone? How long had I been back? Did it matter? I tried to find the rhythm of the world where I used to live. I followed the current. I was silent, attentive, I made a conscious effort to smile, nod, stand, and perform the millions of gestures that constitute life on earth. I studied these gestures until they became reflexes again. But I was haunted by the idea that I remembered her wrong -Solaris

draftingmonkey

Gee, some nice shops there.  Have all the standard wrenchs, sockets, screwdirvers, air tools, but would love a lift.  Last time I changed a flex plate it was on my back in the driveway, 17 degrees outside, the tranny resting on my chest while I did all the work overhead.  That is for the birds.
My garage is full of crap from inside the house while remodeling is going on.  And, I need to get the suspension back on the Jag so I can get some room to work on my Charger.

HITMAN 149

a roll of duct tape & a can of wd 40:  ..... if it moves & shouldn't..use the duct tape!!!.....if it's supposed to move & don't...use the wd 40!!!!
:D
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

red72chrgr

Have a nice start on hand and air tools in a 3 pc.roll around. Problem is, toolbox is in house and car is in a 12x19 shed, no room for toolbox. Someday I'll get a garage.
Nothing personal, just business

HITMAN 149

i actually just picked up a nice black craftsman quietglide 3 pc. roll around from sears (on sale!!!!  :D), to finally organize all my tools that are laying around all over the garage & house!!! half my tools are in carboard boxes!!! LOL!   i have no idea where half my crap is when i actually need something!!!!!!!LOL!!!!!!!
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/