News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Retro RE-STYLE of the "new Charger">>>???

Started by Charger Aficionado, April 19, 2007, 11:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger Aficionado

Forgive me if this has allready been discussed reciently...  (delete it if it has been please)....

Now, I have heard STRAIGHT from the horses mouth, that there is a new Retro-Styled Charger on the drawing boards...  I'm concerned about the sale of Chrysler affecting this, but assume the company will still Travel in current paths for some time... 

Has anyone else heard of this? 

I mean STRAIGHT from the horse's mouth. 

Blakcharger440

Mike DC

That's not exactly a shocker to me.  It was only a matter of time before they quietly started the gears grinding to correct the 2006 mistake. 
(We'll get the last laugh after all, Trevor!)

Not to start another "flame the modern Charger" thread, but I really doubt they'll do a 2-door Charger even if it's retro-styled this time.  They're already deep into production of a blatant 1970 Challenger 2-door on the same platform.

Shakey

Sorry guys - but I'll believe it when they are on the showroom floor with stickers that have a price in CDN dollars on the windows!   :yesnod:

I am curious as to who you heard this from Jude.

mikepmcs

I'm with Mike on this one.  It's all just hearsay until it's on the floor.

yeah, who's the horse's mouth?

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

73dodge

Could be a good thing now that MOPAR is seeking to shake off the Germans maybe the Americans designers knew what the Charger should look like and were over ruled by the Germans on the design and now want to do it the "right" way.

On the other hand they are in the "make money at all costs mode" so they might look at the Chargers sales numbers and decide to dump it since they need to focus on money makers, and especially considering the current political climate they may end being saddled with all sorts of Govt. restriction tied to CAFE' and emissions.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store NOT a government agency!

Ghoste

Me too.  As much as I dislike the styling on the current one, I just can't see a change coming this quickly in platform.  They may do a quickie cosmetic thing like a door scallop and no doubt consider it a retro touch but I can't see real refresh just yet.
Hell, according to the brochures and some automotive writers, the current version already has retro nods, I'm not sure what they are, but apparently they are there someplace.

SRT-440

Quote from: 73dodge on April 20, 2007, 08:02:50 AM
Could be a good thing now that MOPAR is seeking to shake off the Germans maybe the Americans designers knew what the Charger should look like and were over ruled by the Germans on the design and now want to do it the "right" way.

On the other hand they are in the "make money at all costs mode" so they might look at the Chargers sales numbers and decide to dump it since they need to focus on money makers, and especially considering the current political climate they may end being saddled with all sorts of Govt. restriction tied to CAFE' and emissions.

This makes a lot of sense..Germans are all about four doors..and no true blooded american would make a charger four doors. I don't hate the new charger design and in SRT form it's really hott..but call it something else and release a new "Scat Pack" out of the new Challenger and a retro Charger.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

kab69440

Quote from: Ghoste on April 20, 2007, 08:05:35 AM
Me too.  As much as I dislike the styling on the current one, I just can't see a change coming this quickly in platform.  They may do a quickie cosmetic thing like a door scallop and no doubt consider it a retro touch but I can't see real refresh just yet.
Hell, according to the brochures and some automotive writers, the current version already has retro nods, I'm not sure what they are, but apparently they are there someplace.

It only took two model years to dump the first generation Chargers for their less than stellar sales numbers. Maybe they have figured it out. I doubt it, but maybe...
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

AirborneSilva

I think the name "Charger" is where the "retro" comes in.

I personally think they should continue to produce the 4 door abortion, it has caught the eye of the feds and local police and that has to be a good thing, but I also think they should do a 2 door model for those of us who just can't get past the second set of doors.  I think, that although I don't see anything retro in it, that the front looks good then you start towards the back get to the first door, things are still ok, then you hit that second door and it just goes to hell there, the back end after the door is not bad looking either but I just don't see anything retro.

jasonfromIKILLYA

Quote from: kab69440 on April 20, 2007, 09:36:24 AM

It only took two model years to dump the first generation Chargers for their less than stellar sales numbers. Maybe they have figured it out. I doubt it, but maybe...

except the new charger has pretty good sales numbers.
"Great souls have always received violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Einstein

TeeWJay426

A simple name change on the current sedan would be enough to keep most happy..... :D
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

pettyfan43

It all depends. The car has been selling well, but you have to remember, when 66 CHargers were hitting showroom floors, the design that became the 68 was already in the clay model stage.

They are already talking about the 2008s now. It is APRIL! The lead time for the new cars and the design/evaluate/prototype/carshow time is pretty long.
Chrysler USED to be the best at going from concept to showroom, DaimlerChrysler is not too good at it. And much less of their concepts make it to showroom.
With the shape the American automobile industry is in, it shouldn't surprise ANYBODY that they are considering a restyle for a couple years down the road. The first generation LH cars got a total reatyle after 5 years, you figure 2-3 years to showroom from drawing board and you have about the same amount of time for the current LX style cars.

From what I hear about the next generation Ram, that WILL be depressing. Glad I bought My 04. I SURE hat to think of my next one being a different make but I ain't too sure about the next generation Ram. 

AirborneSilva

Quote from: TeeWJay426 on April 20, 2007, 10:04:41 AM
A simple name change on the current sedan would be enough to keep most happy..... :D

I agree, if they called it the "Police addition" or maybe "Charger 2+2" then they could save a little face here and pave the way for a 2 door version.

kab69440

Quote from: jasonfromIKILLYA on April 20, 2007, 10:01:51 AM

They might be selling pretty well somewhere, but they are still a more rare sight than a second gen here.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Ghoste

Although you are all correct about the 66-67 Charger, the thing to remember is that back then, almost all models received a face lift every 2 to 3 years.  The norm today is closer to 5.

dodgecharger-fan

I heard rumours that the Avenger having very similar styling cues to the Charger was a strong indicator of a restyling of the Charger.

I'm not sure of the logic behind that statement, but it then went on to hint at the possibility of a 2-door.

So, now what am I gonna do with this?

AirborneSilva

Zentelis

Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on April 20, 2007, 04:13:31 PM
I heard rumours that the Avenger having very similar styling cues to the Charger was a strong indicator of a restyling of the Charger.

I'm not sure of the logic behind that statement, but it then went on to hint at the possibility of a 2-door.

Nice Ram!
1500?
;)

(ok, i'll shut up now hehe)

BigBlackDodge

I'm not holding my breath for a 2 door retro Charger from DCX. Two doors don't sell, ya know? :eyes:

BBD

FastbackJon

Would like to see a new retro styled Charger, maybe like a modern version of this...
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

70charginglizard

I'll believe it when I see in in he show room floor wih an acual for sale price tag on it.

Till then, I'm not doing or saying anything else.
70charginglizard

73dodge

Quote from: AirborneSilva on April 20, 2007, 05:25:16 PM

E-bay  :icon_smile_big:

He can't it's a company car

although you can Ebay it and go out and buy an identical one with a HEMI they'll never know................

Just a thought   :scratchchin:

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store NOT a government agency!

plum500

:stirthepot:  :horse:

Hehe. I did this a while back -- tweaked the front (wrap around bumper, reduced the grill), 2 doors, little more 3rd gen in the back pillar...

ck1

Quote from: plum500 on April 20, 2007, 08:27:12 PM
:stirthepot:  :horse:

Hehe. I did this a while back -- tweaked the front (wrap around bumper, reduced the grill), 2 doors, little more 3rd gen in the back pillar...

I don't like newer wheels on chargers but I have to say those on the 69 and 70 are nice! any close up of the wheel?  :scope:
CJK

Charger Aficionado

The horse is someone involved w/ advertising it.

MoparManJim

I have a bright idea, if its paid off  just take it out on some back road an do a Dukes of Hazzard jump and see how far that can fly before it brakes or should I say fall apart on the landing or landings. Now if its not paid off jump it any ways and take it back tell them that you hit spot hole on the highway and that did the damage  :scratchchin: :D

Jim

hemihead

All I can say is that the front end still looks like a truck. And everyone says they won't believe it until it hits the showroom but the new Challenger
isn't in the showroom yet either, so ....
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

71 Bee Man

I remember seeing the prototype Charger at the Sydney International Motor Show. Here in Australia, people just looked in awe at that prototype.

Why the hell didn't they build it ?????? ??? ??? >:( >:( >:( :icon_smile_evil: :icon_smile_evil:

Peter
Sydney, Australia
Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21133.240.html

jasonfromIKILLYA

Quote from: kab69440 on April 20, 2007, 10:46:14 AM

They might be selling pretty well somewhere, but they are still a more rare sight than a second gen here.

You live in the country?  In the urban areas it's selling well.  come to NYC
"Great souls have always received violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Einstein

dodgecharger-fan

Quote from: 73dodge on April 20, 2007, 08:23:34 PM
although you can Ebay it and go out and buy an identical one with a HEMI they'll never know................

:scratchchin:  I'm trying to figure out how the buy-out would go when the VINs don't match...  but I like the way you think!

Big Lebowski

I'm holding my breath waiting to see that one, and I'm about to pass out. :icon_smile_dead:
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

Khyron

they'll Frack it up. I lost interest in what Mopar is putting out now.

Including the lack of a base model Challanger. When I'm in the market for a new car. I'm getting a 'stang.

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

bull

Isn't it time to start dredging up all those phony concept drawings again?

73dodge

Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on April 21, 2007, 02:01:09 PM
Quote from: 73dodge on April 20, 2007, 08:23:34 PM

:scratchchin:  I'm trying to figure out how the buy-out would go when the VINs don't match...  but I like the way you think!

Ahemm cough cough VIN SWAP cough cough......................

OR....................

Go to the local junkyard find a wrecked Dodge RAM with a 6.1 HEMI and do a little engine swapping, I'd even drive up from Cleveland to help you with that one.......

aone415

Quote from: kab69440 on April 20, 2007, 10:46:14 AM

The Charger is selling quite well.. I believe it was #15 @ the end of March... And while I was not initally a fan of the Charger, I did drive the SRT-8 and walked away very impressed.  @ 40k it plays in the same ballpark as an M5 or a CLS 55 AMG for half the price of each.  That alone is an impressive accomplishment.

This Charger right here is a one of none, that means none before it, none to come.

69charger2002

they are EVERYWHERE here.. i know where about 10 second gens are just in my 30 mile area. but there is NO DOUBT 1000 06 chargers running around baton rouge area. seems like every 10th car is one
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Zentelis

Quote from: 69charger2002 on April 23, 2007, 10:09:22 AM
they are EVERYWHERE here.. i know where about 10 second gens are just in my 30 mile area. but there is NO DOUBT 1000 06 chargers running around baton rouge area. seems like every 10th car is one
There are none out here..our local Dodge dealer was sitting on them for quite a while. The same yellow/black "super bee" was sitting on their lot for many months.

I wonder if it had something to do with my "NOT-A-CHARGER" picket line  :rofl: j/k, of course.

Although, every time i go in their for parts, I rag on the thing to the sales guys. "Why did they put a truck front-end on a grocery getter sedan and call it a charger?" hehe

Doright

PLUM500
Did you ever think of a job in auto design?
I like that little red thing!!! If that were a real car I would have to give it some real thought about buying one.
Doright
A&P FCC 
I play with cars because Jets are way too serious to be fun any more
I have so many car projects that cars are beginning to be no fun any more

AirborneSilva

They are all over the place down here in S. Arizona.

CharlieCharger

We have yet to see the challenger on the road, what makes you think they will get off there butts to make a new charger  :yesnod:
Earth. Even the word sounded strange to me now... unfamiliar. How long had I been gone? How long had I been back? Did it matter? I tried to find the rhythm of the world where I used to live. I followed the current. I was silent, attentive, I made a conscious effort to smile, nod, stand, and perform the millions of gestures that constitute life on earth. I studied these gestures until they became reflexes again. But I was haunted by the idea that I remembered her wrong -Solaris

FastbackJon

I wonder sometimes how many ugly new "Chargers" I have got people interested in simply by driving my '66 Charger around.
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

hemihead

In the Pittsburgh area they can't seem to give the Creeder away ( with or without the Super Creeder stickers).
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

BigBlackDodge

I see a few around town. I mostly see them when I'm in my daily driver.........but get the '70 out and they dry up pretty quickly for some reason. ???

BBD

moparjohn

What did you see/hear about the next gen Ram. I like this one, although I'm not a big fan of the dash board (06-07)
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

Ghoste

They don't sell many here either.  There are a bunch on the dealers lot in town but almost all of them are 06 models.  Seeing more and more of them bit by bit but Rams and Caravans seem to be the bread and butter sales.