News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

couple 69 interior questions

Started by Spartan, April 15, 2007, 03:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spartan

I was doing some research and could not find anything on them.  I have my interior pretty much torn out and will be sending out my pads and headrests out to be dyed and have small things fixed on them. Here they are:

1. Are the headrests the same color as the lower dash pads & arm rests, and do they match the seat color (I have the 69 dark metallic green interior)?  I received new lower door pads and seat covers for christmas (they are PUI I guess).  All my pads I want redyed are original to the car and have some minor color fading, light cigarette burns around the ash try and separation from the steel backing so I they are due for a dye job and small repairs to get them back to near new condition.  I am not screwing with the top dash pad since it looks like new.  I just don't want to try to match the color to the seats if that is correct, otherwise, what should they be matched with?

2. My headrests were under seat covers for 20 years, the posts are fine, the band will get replaced and redyed, there are some black spots on the corner facing the window, I am guessing they are sun stains but the vinyl isn't cracked in those areas, will those be a problem with the dye?

3.  Kick Panels, Mine are in tact but the plastic is flaking off (due to age I am sure) and the color is inconsistant.  Do the repops look & fit like new? and if so, I see they are offered in white or black, which is better if they get dyed/painted green? 

4. Ash tray, I am sand blasting this due to rust scraped etc.  Is the green supposed to match the pad color or the rest of the dash metal (or are they the same color) and have people painted the inside of the ash tray silver or somehow had the metal coated.  I don't see an easy way to get the inside away from the cover plate.  The housing mounted inside the dash where the ash tray slides into is also rusty, is it hard to recoat these (silver zinc) or is it better to just strip and repaint it it silver?

I am trying to bring this back to original best I can but I am not sure the best way to rework some of these items to make them look new. All of this stuff is original and came with my vehicle. Sorry for the questions at one time.

Thanks.
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

UFO

1-Headrests are the same as the seats.
2-Don't know if the black spots will be a problem.The vinyl needs to be really clean in order for the dye to adhere.The spots might go away in the cleaning stage.
3-Kick panels will be dark green
4-Ash tray will be dark green as well.Might not be 100% to the pads.I would use the same paint as the instrument panel.
If you want to separate the tray from the cover,the two rivets at the bottom need to be drilled out.Replacement rivets might not be totally original in appearance.Eastwood company has various bare metal colors in a spray can to refinish the inside.

Paul 500

I've just been painting some of my interior green today, the ashtray should be painted the same as the dash frame (with that slight texture). The plastic parts & the dash pad i painted near enought the same colour as the dash frame. I didnt realise the plastic had a very fine metal flake in it as it had faded.
68 Charger R/T
69 Charger 500

HOTROD69BEE

Paul, what vinyl paint you use.  My 69 Bee has the dark green interior and I need to repaint my dash pads and plastic panels.  I'm trying to find a dark green color that is close to the original color.

Spartan

thanks for the info.  are the headrests and dash pads different green colors then?
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

Paul 500

I think the dash pad & the headrests are the same colour ( mine looked the same even though they were faded).
I took a couple of the plastic bits down my local paint shop & they matched it to the closes paint they had from the unfaded bits, the only problem was i forgot to get them to add a very fine metal flake to it.
When painting plastic or vinyl the paint shop told me you only put enough paint on just so it changes the colour as it'll crack if to much paint or could melt the plastic.
68 Charger R/T
69 Charger 500

Chatt69chgr

I had the same problems with my ash tray as far as the rust.  I took the thing apart including drilling out the rivets and spent a whole lot of time with emery cloth and my dremel tool using three different steel brushes on it.  I tried several silver paints to get the correct finish and then painted the plated parts.  I have not done the finish painting on the front cover part of the ash tray but it is exactly the same color and texture as the metal part of the dash.  The ash tray looked like new when I got done with it.

My car was a green interior and, interestingly, the kick panels were deteriorated just like you describe.  I wasn't sure how I was going to deal with them until I ran across a nice set in a coronet in the junkyard that were black.  They were perfect with just a little fading so I cleaned them up and hit them with SEM Landau Black and they look new.  I concluded that the old ones were not salvageable.  There are repops of these avaliable for something like $90 as I recall.

GTX

Hey, dumb question but where do those corner pieces to the left of the dash vents go? I think I'm missing them.

Quote from: Paul 500 on April 17, 2007, 03:20:02 PM
I've just been painting some of my interior green today, the ashtray should be painted the same as the dash frame (with that slight texture). The plastic parts & the dash pad i painted near enought the same colour as the dash frame. I didnt realise the plastic had a very fine metal flake in it as it had faded.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: GTX on April 21, 2007, 09:04:22 PM
Hey, dumb question but where do those corner pieces to the left of the dash vents go? I think I'm missing them.

Quote from: Paul 500 on April 17, 2007, 03:20:02 PM

those are the lower corners of the inner trim for the rear window
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

GTX

Umm, better go look and see if I have them. I bought a rear window trim kit, that would be there in that right?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: GTX on April 22, 2007, 02:42:11 PM
Umm, better go look and see if I have them. I bought a rear window trim kit, that would be there in that right?

they should be anyway
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............