News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

trans shift kit

Started by Silver R/T, July 24, 2005, 12:50:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_Kunkel

The TF-2 kit retains all of the automatic functions but eliminates some of the slippage and overlap that is common in stock valve bodies, this makes the shifts firmer.

The TF-3 converts the valve body to full manual operation but retains the stock shift pattern. (Most aftermarket manual VB's reverse the pattern)
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Joshua

Quote from: T16 on January 06, 2008, 03:03:36 PM
What features does the TF-2 (for example) kit come with.. Just quicker shifts..?

Will it turn my 727 valve body into a manual one..?

Hopefully later shifts.....TF's shift too early as it is. Firmer shifts are what ya want....
Before converting my car to a 4-speed, I was running a Turbo Action full manual, reverse pattern valve body, which provides VERY hard shifts, and ran on the street (and street raced) for many years with no problems, even though the box and instuctions say "Positively NOT for street use."..... :o ;D

Chargerguy74

My friend and his dad run a performance trans shop and only use TransGo. I was told the B&M were "garbage".
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

hemihead

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 24, 2005, 12:59:31 AM
TransGo works best in the Mopars
I have a friend that says you don`t even need one all the mods can be made with a kit at alll
There was an article in a Mopar mag in the early 90's and I did my trans that way with no kit . Still works fantastic . Don't ask me what I did to it . I have brain damage and can't remember .
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

Dartbloke

Always use Trans Go Kits.
" The man that said nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door"

Bobs69

I've been told by a few guys to throw the accumulator spring over your shoulder and crank up the line preassure.  No kit needed????????

Ghoste

Bad idea.  First off, just tossing the accumulator spring and not blocking the piston will not make it shift any faster and can in fact, slow it down.  As for just cranking up line pressure, that can make it shift harder to a point but done indiscriminately with no other changes, it can create more problems than it solves.  Blown o-rings and seals come to mind.

Runner

Quote from: Chargerguy74 on January 30, 2008, 12:43:05 AM
My friend and his dad run a performance trans shop and only use TransGo. I was told the B&M were "garbage".

really depends on what b&m kit you get.  imo all the kits that are cheap are crap.  the b&m rebiuld kit is a really nice kit for a first time tranny biulder. great easy to follow instructions and decent parts.   for the person doing a shift kit wants some good instructions,  the tci kit is real nice .   i think you end up with something VERY simular to a tf2 kit, the instructions are much better though.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=TCI%2D220000&N=700+4294908128+4294920458+115&autoview=sku

i have 2 tf2 kits and one tci kit in my cars,  they all work about the same.   

the best shift kit ive ever installed in in a car was the one i put in my 68 plymouth last summer its a  np-a833 kit.  it really shifts firm   :icon_smile_big:

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

John_Kunkel

One thing about the TF-2 kit makes it a better bang for the buck and that's the improved manual valve which allows the converter to refill in Park.  This might seem like a minor issue but it's worth taking into considerastion when comparing kits and prices.

Best price I've found for the TF-2 is at Makco   

http://www.bulkpart.com
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Runner

i didint know that john. thanks.     thats good info. 

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Musicman

Duey

So why is it that a lot of guys bad mouth the TransGo kits?  I picked up a deep A-518 pan for my transmission at a tranny shop, and the guy rolled his eyes when I mentioned that I had a TF2 kit in my Torqflite...  :shruggy:

Cheers,
Duey
73 SE Brougham, F3 , 440, 850 Pro-form, 727 w TA 10", 4.10SG

Ghoste

Was he a Ford guy?  I've never known anyone to bad talk the Trans-Go stuff.

Duey

No, he also had TH's and TF's as well.  I asked him what shift kit he'd recommend and he recommended no shift kit at all, said they weren't needed.  The engineer in me can't see how clutch packs working against each other to make a shift smoother for someone who wants their car to be as quiet and smooth as their living room couch to be a good thing?  ::)  Sure, the driveline has some more direct transient forces, but a shift kit clearly is easier on the transmission, lower temps, etc...

Ghoste

I'd be switching tranny shops.

oldkimmer

Quote from: Duey on March 28, 2008, 10:37:31 PM
So why is it that a lot of guys bad mouth the TransGo kits?  I picked up a deep A-518 pan for my transmission at a tranny shop, and the guy rolled his eyes when I mentioned that I had a TF2 kit in my Torqflite...  :shruggy:

Cheers,
Duey
.........Most ppl just assume u can just install this kit and it a done deal....not true.......Clearancing and attention to detail is where its at.......I have installed over 100 TF-2 kits......lots of trannys take some tweeking to get the shifts right on the money........I have redone so many that so called proffesional builders have done........There instructions r pretty good 4 some1 that has shift kit experiance, but 4 the novice builder  not up to snuff......kim.........any questions u can email me.........kimrudniski@sasktel.net
Back in the good old days 1968 charger rt 440 magnum . 1968  charger 383 magnum. The Beast has been Unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ghoste

Kim, I'd add that everything you said is 100% true, but not just for an aftermarket kit.  All trans rebuilds should have the same attention to detail it's just that detail omissions become magnified in a situation like this.  That's why I say it's time to use a different builder, it sounds to me like that just wants to take the easy way out.

Duey

Quote from: Ghoste on March 29, 2008, 10:51:54 AM
I'd be switching tranny shops.

Don't worry, I just got the A-518 pan there, I wouldn't take my car there.  ;)

Silver R/T

Quote from: sixty6charger on April 04, 2006, 12:26:55 PM
I know I'm reviving an old topic here but I just got a Transgo TF-2 kit and was wondering who here have installed it on their own or had a trans shop do it?
ive had it installed on my charger by a tranny shop when they rebuilt my 727
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

375instroke