News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Header choice

Started by Mean 318, April 17, 2007, 04:11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metallicareload99

I went with the Hedman headers, they were cheeper.  I had to put a good sized dent in one of the drivers side primary tubes for starter clearance.  Other than that they seem to fit okay.  I'm using the mini starter from Mancini racing, manual steering and manual transmission.  440 4-Speed 68 Charger.  Next time I buy headers I WILL buy tti's.
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

mikepmcs

since you are going with painted, why not look at summit's offering.

most likely you are going to have to dent the tube anyway.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2DG9041&N=700+4294908110+4294908097+4294840062+115&autoview=sku

just make sure you get the dead soft aluminum gaskets from percy's and you'll be all set.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntt=mopar+exhaust+gaskets&N=700+115+400251&Ntk=KeywordSearch

oh, and i guess you'll have to change your name to mean440. :icon_smile_big:

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

deputycrawford

Check into the Dynomax Ceramic coated headers. See if they make them for the small block. I bought a set for my big block and like them. The Ceramic coating has lasted for four years and they fit pretty well. I would buy another set if needed. Oh, I forgot to tell you; they were only $245. To me, that was, and still is a deal.   
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

LargerCharger383

myk

It's gonna' hurt but I'm going to get a set of TTI's.  I don't want to mess with fitment, starter and plug boot problems anymore than I have to...

Chryco Psycho

TTi is my first choice , Thorley would probably be my second
the Hedmans will NOT clear a mini starter

71charger_fan

I've got some old Hedman Huslers on my car. Fit fine, installed fairly easily, but they're getting rusty and scroungy looking. I think next time I'll bite the bullet and get Schumacher Tri-Ys.

mikepmcs

I'm curious as to what changed your mind and now you are thinking of spending over $250 more than original budget for a set of headers.
I'm in agreement that the TTI and Thorley would be an awesome choice, but I have to ask what you have done with the motor.. Is it basically stock?

Not all headers are the same but most fit correctly to a point(the starter issue) and one of the ones you just listed is still steel and painted and will deteriorate just like the others that you listed in the $100 range up top.

I still say, get the $105 summit headers and the percy aluminum gaskets and use them for now until you really have the extra cash to do your build like you want.  They will eventually turn ugly like all steel headers but if you stay out of the salt and crap, they should last as long or longer as any exhaust system. 

That's just my .02

But if you are dead set on spending that cash for the above choices I would go with the Thorley Nickel Plated.

Deputy Crawford's suggestion above would have been a great option but those are now $327 from summit unless he knows where to get them at $245 still.
Only reason I would have even considered upping the anti to those would be because they were ceramic coated and the $245 price tag.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Mean 318

I got two job offers today, thats what changed my mind.
The motor is 30 over, flat tops, hyd cam, head work-906-, performer RPM, Holley 870, reworked dist, aluminum pulleys, 3inch exhaust, comp shift kit, 2500 stl, around 500 HP.

Steve P.

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 19, 2007, 03:00:29 AM
TTi is my first choice , Thorley would probably be my second
the Hedmans will NOT clear a mini starter

I agree although I just heated and bent my tube with a MAP GAS torch a piece of 1.250 heavy wall pipe and a BF hammer.. The mini starter fits now...  :D  Didn't do much damage to the pipe either.. Just a rolling bend..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

deputycrawford

Mikepmcs, I haven't kept up with the pricing because of my marital situation. That is good info on the price upgrade but I believe fewer people will choose that header because of the price. I do have to say that even that price seems just low enough with the ceramic coating and the mini starter fitment to hopefully push some into buying them. I have had a decent time with them. They don't leak when on and look decent after 4 yrs of many installs. Mean318 good luck on anything you choose.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Dennis

myk

Quote from: Dennis on April 22, 2007, 02:23:30 AM
TTI's.

Especially when TTi claims that the their headers WILL clear not only a mini-starter but the big, fat, monster stock starter as well.  How can anyone not be sold on that?  Yeah, yeah, yeah I know, the price...