News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Poll. Which Carburetor is best ?

Started by whitehatspecial, April 04, 2007, 07:17:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vote for your favorite carburetor that's on your performance Mopar.

Holley
Edelbrock
Barry Grant
Proform
other

whitehatspecial

I know this topic has been discussed before but I really am trying to see how many BG fans there are out there. Personally I've had so much trouble getting mine to perform right, I ready to change to a Holley or Eddy. 650 Speed Demon on a 340/400hp.
Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

Challenger340

I feel your pain ! And my "eyes burn" with you !  LOL !

We've tried to the best of our abilities, on the Dyno, to get decent fuel/power curves out the BG carbs, with "very limited", to "poor" results.

Not saying, that someone better, ain't got the "magic bullet" to make them work,
just,
that given the fees we're charging for Dyno time, we have been frustrated, and lost alot of money, trying to get good numbers from the BG's.

I've decided to leave them to someone more skilled than I.

I like the Holley, 4150, downleg booster, HP series Carbs.
Quick, fast, easy to tune, and good power numbers on the Dyno, for me anyway.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

firefighter3931

Quote from: Challenger340 on April 04, 2007, 11:16:21 AM

I tend to agree with Bob on the Holley HP series carbs. The proform double pumpers are also excellent performing units as well.  :yesnod:

I haven't had any real good experiences with Demons allthough i know some have. Vegas Mike has a 750 Demon on his e-headed 446 and it runs fantastic.  :2thumbs: But....it was tuned on the dyno and optimized for the specific engine combo.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

whitehatspecial

Quote from: Challenger340 on April 04, 2007, 11:16:21 AM
I feel your pain ! And my "eyes burn" with you !  LOL !

We've tried to the best of our abilities, on the Dyno, to get decent fuel/power curves out the BG carbs, with "very limited", to "poor" results.

Not saying, that someone better, ain't got the "magic bullet" to make them work,
just,
that given the fees we're charging for Dyno time, we have been frustrated, and lost alot of money, trying to get good numbers from the BG's.

I've decided to leave them to someone more skilled than I.

Burning eyes...you hit the nail on the head! Just wondering if you ever changed the power valve on your Demon? I stopped to see an old friend yesterday (he's been running a speed shop since 1953!) and explained my problem(s).
The first thing he asked after I gave him my engine specs, was "what power valve do you have?" BG had a 6.5 in the primaries and he told me there was no way I was making enough vacuum for that size. He suggested a 4.5 and is recurving my distributor.
I'll give the BG one more shot after these improvements then it's histoire if it doesn't work.

:pigsfly:

Cars owned:

firefighter3931

With regards to power valve selection ; you need to get an idle vacuum and cruise vacuum reading before picking the PV. Demon has several different model carbs.....the speed demon is more of a mild build carb that might be incompatible with your cam profile. If the cam has lots of overlap and duration....the Race Demon is what you'll want assuming you plan to run a BG carb. The fuel curve on the speed demon series is "conservative".

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Silver R/T

what about speed demons, those are great carbs
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Ghoste

Pssst, read one post up from yours.  :icon_smile_wink:

whitehatspecial

Quote from: firefighter3931 on April 04, 2007, 05:03:28 PM
With regards to power valve selection ; you need to get an idle vacuum and cruise vacuum reading before picking the PV. Demon has several different model carbs.....the speed demon is more of a mild build carb that might be incompatible with your cam profile. If the cam has lots of overlap and duration....the Race Demon is what you'll want assuming you plan to run a BG carb. The fuel curve on the speed demon series is "conservative".

Ron

From BG's website:
A Speed Demon™ carburetor is ideal for muscle cars, stock rebuilds, tow trucks, mild performance applications and crate motors. They are designed for engines with cam profiles between 220 and 240 degrees duration at 0.050".

I called BG before ordering a carb and gave them my engine specs. This was also confirmed by other experts in this area. My cam has .224 intake at .050". I have the right carb, according to BG, but have yet to see improved results after many different approaches. 
Cars owned:

jg68

Ok, heres my take on this, i had a bad experiance 6 yrs. ago with a 750 demon carb, i said i would NEVER buy or use one again, well i've been trying just about every carb on my stock, low compression 446, just has headers & perf. intake, i've run TQs, holleys, 650dp & 750dp & a PF 750 that was on my race car, then just last week i see a  speed demon 750dp for sale with extras for a good price, i just couldn't pass it up, well i install it, played h$ll getting it started, plus it has a leanout issue from idle over to the main metering, BUT i will say this, they are built very well dispite quality control issues & when i took it for a drive, i was really :o at the power, even with the stumble, it runs better & faster then any other carb i've tried, even the mighty TQ, it doesn't run rich or burn my eyes even with 77/84 jets, idles great, so i'm going to invest the $$$ & have it metered for my combo, i guess i just have a passion for DPers, this ones just dressed up :icon_smile_big:

Brightyellow69rtse

MY EYES AHHHHHGHHHHHHAAAAAAHHHH lol been there but she dont do that no more  holley baby holley :)............Mike

whitehatspecial

Well from the poll, Holley is the big winner with a 2:1 margin over second placed Edelbrock. BG and "other" weren't far behind and tied for third. Proform came in last.

Thanks to all that particpated.
Cars owned:

GTX

As can been seen in my avatar, I run Carter 750 comp series AFB's on my car, mostly because I like Carter (not Edelbrock) and also for the old time look.
If I were going to run a single carb it would be a Holley and of course I'd pray to the Ron and Chryco alter for guidance on that selection.  ;D

Mean 318

I haven't had a chance to run my Holley yet, but my engine builder told me that he thinks the Holley is the best bet, and he has  been doing it since the late 60s.
I have a 500 HP 440, and am running the 870 Holley avenger