News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Machine work?

Started by Zeikjds, January 19, 2007, 12:07:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeikjds

So I'm exploring and getting as much info as possible before I get my charger, When I rebuild the 318 there will probably be machine work, does anyone know of a good cheap place in colorado? And whats the best bang for my buck, Probably do cam and heads while rebuild! Only looking to do prostreet, beat the wanna be muscle cars at my school?! Any Oppinions on this, and I want to keep car all original, as it is now, or else I'd just throw my 440 in there!?

Chryco Psycho

good & cheap in the same place huh

Ghoste

Spend more money here in your build than anywhere else.  It'll pay for itself in power and reliability.
I don't know of any places in your area so I didn't really answer your question but Chryco's question is right on the mark.  Good and cheap will not likely satisfy you too much in the long run.

Challenger340

I agree, "good", just doesn't fit in the same sentence as "cheap", when speaking of machining.

Typically "you get what you pay for" is more applicable.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Zeikjds

Well about how much is it to do machine work on a 318? I know when i rebuild it ill have to do machine work so ya?

firefighter3931

Quote from: Challenger340 on January 19, 2007, 10:23:37 AM
Typically "you get what you pay for" is more applicable.

That is so true....i couldn't agree more !

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ghoste

What exactly are your goals with this thing?  You mention you want to keep the 318 in it for originality's sake and then you mention pro streeting it and wanting to beat the kids at school.
If you want original, do a nice stock rebuild on the 318.  If you want to beat the kids at school, forget about the pro street crap and build the 440 with a good drivetrain and suspension to match.  If you want to go pro street, well, you got me there.

Zeikjds

Well the only competition i see at school is a 74 skylark, which i know has a 350 but from what? He changes his mind everytime I talk about the motor in the car, so it could have 180hp or have a 70gs 280hp, and the other competition is a 79 camaro, new motor 4spd manual. I want to keep the 318 and get as much power as possible, according to a guide on carcraft.com, about $3000 to get to 400hp but hell thats a crate motor, pretty much im doin heads,headers,cam,rebuild,timing chain, and a real nice tune up. Was just wondering what machine work would cost to get it all nice and not just a stock rebuild?

Bandit72

i'd put some lower gears in the back also...that will help them out alot as you probably have 2.73's or something like that
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

Ghoste

Rule number one is that no matter how fast you are, someone else is faster.
Rule number two is that no matter how fast you go, you still want to go faster.
Rule number three is that speed costs money.

You can take those in any order you want, but if you want to be fast, put your money in the 440. 

Bandit72

Quote from: Ghoste on January 20, 2007, 05:13:25 AM

You can take those in any order you want, but if you want to be fast, put your money in the 440. 

:iagree:

or you could find a 400 and build a stroker out of it.....which is what i'm doing
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

squeakfinder

Cost of heads being done here is around $425.00 plus the cost of any valves that need replacing. I don't know what your cylinder walls look like, if you can still see hone marks you might get away with honing them out and putting in new rings.

If you find a machinist locally, and they tell you that you need to do this or that with your engine build, don't rush into anything, research what they say. Otherwise, all that little stuff can add up.

Larry
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

idahogrumpy

Find yourself a 360 and do the rebuild on it.
For what its worth I would start with the brakes, Steering, and build a rear end with the gear and strength to hold up to the engine you are planning. Then one more step before the engine would be the transmission.
When I was younger I put all of my energy into making it go fast with little regard to the other things. It's a package deal! The car will drive better and be more reliable with my approach.   Grumpy
Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY
Modified 73 440 Charger, 03 Intrepid SXT, 02 Neon and 2001 Ram 1500 .

RogerDodger

Quote from: idahogrumpy on February 11, 2007, 03:41:00 PM
Find yourself a 360 and do the rebuild on it.
For what its worth I would start with the brakes, Steering, and build a rear end with the gear and strength to hold up to the engine you are planning. Then one more step before the engine would be the transmission.
When I was younger I put all of my energy into making it go fast with little regard to the other things. It's a package deal! The car will drive better and be more reliable with my approach.   Grumpy

:iagree:

I am going through this approach now. I had my heart set on a 440 but chose to use my 318 in the meantime while I upgrade the rear end and get a new tranny, radiator, exhaust...

mally69

well i was told this once    just somthing to keep in mind  what ever you do  dont do somthing stupid and kill yourself in this thing,,,,   im gonna have to say  if you have the 318  set it aside and just keep it      BUILD the 440 if you have it,, becuase there you already have 375 hp and just a few upgrades  you can have 400+ pretty easy all depending on your budget    ( how much will machine work cost??)   no one really knows every machine shop is different  plus it depends on what has to done.... im sure these guys could get a close estamate though

whitehatspecial

Quote from: Ghoste on January 20, 2007, 05:13:25 AM

If I can add one more to the excellent list.
Rule number four is that if it goes fast, something will break sooner or later. Mostly sooner.
Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

The70RT

Something else to think about. If you put money in your trans you will be changing it when and if you go to a big block. I would do every thing once and be done. IMO.

<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

rob9593

Quote from: The70RT on February 23, 2007, 11:23:38 AM
Something else to think about. If you put money in your trans you will be changing it when and if you go to a big block. I would do every thing once and be done. IMO.

:iagree: Plan on trans and and maybe an upgraded rear (depending on whether you will hook up or not) Making sure your braking system is top notch is also important...

machineman

Quote from: Zeikjds on January 19, 2007, 12:07:52 AM
So I'm exploring and getting as much info as possible before I get my charger, When I rebuild the 318 there will probably be machine work, does anyone know of a good cheap place in colorado? And whats the best bang for my buck, Probably do cam and heads while rebuild! Only looking to do prostreet, beat the wanna be muscle cars at my school?! Any Oppinions on this, and I want to keep car all original, as it is now, or else I'd just throw my 440 in there!?

There is no such thing as good AND cheap.
Chris Crossont
A.H.M. Performance
Baltimore, MD
http://www.ahmperformance.com