News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rocker arm/lifter break in?

Started by Harlow, August 04, 2007, 11:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harlow

Is there any kind of break in procedure for lifters and/or rocker arms?

Musicman

Assuming that you have replaced the cam, you would run the engine for about 10 minutes at a varied rate of 1500 - 3000 rpm's. This is done to encourage the lifters to spin in their respective bores. There is a slight taper ground into the cam lobe and the lifter bottom to make the lifter spin during operation, thus preventing them from wearing in one specific area. If they do not spin, they will fail. Varying the rpm during break-in gives the lifter a greater chance of spinning. Obviously, none of this applies to roller cams.

Of course... firefighter3931 may have something to add here... he knows a lot more about this subject than most of us.

Mike

firefighter3931

:iagree: That's pretty much it allthough i like to run them in longer....20 minutes at 2000 rpm. Use a good oil like Rotella 15-40 with a bottle of GM EOS and lube the lifter faces with moly paste.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs