News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

DUKETONA update....

Started by GeneralLeeTESH, April 15, 2007, 09:21:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemigeno

I had a '78 Trans Am with a 4-speed and headers back in college.  It had more room around the OEM starter than this setup, and it still locked up the starter regularly (eventually roasted it).  We wrapped the collector tubes with tape, tried heat shield material, etc, but nothing worked until switching over to a mini-starter.  Since you're already installing a mini-starter, I don't know what the alternative/fall-back would be.

:o

**EDIT**  Is that even the right starter for this application?  Seems like the barrel of the starter should be rotated up much closer to the engine block and not "sticking out" towards the headpipe...  Plus, is there only one bolt installed in the starter's mounting flange?  Doesn't look like there's a bolt in the lower bellhousing/flange bolt hole, but that may not be a hole for the starter.   :shruggy:

AirborneSilva

Lookin good Mark, looks to me that you are thinking everything out quite well  :2thumbs:

SFRT

your car but I would have spent a day or 2 cleaning up and repainting all that rust on the suspension.
Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

69charger2002

Quote from: GeneralLeeTESH on March 11, 2009, 10:20:30 AM
The front Left frame was buckled. See photo of Jump-evidence. I have fixed it since. The Front fenders were both cut for wheel movement (probably for jumping ? ) The car came to me with 0.96" diameter front torsion bars. It also has a 3/8" diameter fuel line and WAS a 4 speed car, (which they cut the tranny tunnel hump out of)! The inner body roof and interior are full of TAR undercoating also. The HLPAG boys told me that WB had 9 or more DOH cars built for them by them and this was used for some jumping and was sent back with a s-load of parts (post movie) to them. Wether their story is true-I have NO idea !

yeah their story is BS. they used 6 hlpag cars, 1 of them was jumped 3 times for the movie and i got it immediately after filming.. one of the only ones that left with a clear title and VIN intact. before they shipped them back to CA> hlpag may have bought your car from someone later, but it did not come straight from WB after filming.  IIRC they had a couple auctions in CA after the last "movie" where the cars were auctioned off.
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

moparstuart

Quote from: 69charger2002 on March 16, 2009, 01:04:03 PM
Quote from: GeneralLeeTESH on March 11, 2009, 10:20:30 AM
The front Left frame was buckled. See photo of Jump-evidence. I have fixed it since. The Front fenders were both cut for wheel movement (probably for jumping ? ) The car came to me with 0.96" diameter front torsion bars. It also has a 3/8" diameter fuel line and WAS a 4 speed car, (which they cut the tranny tunnel hump out of)! The inner body roof and interior are full of TAR undercoating also. The HLPAG boys told me that WB had 9 or more DOH cars built for them by them and this was used for some jumping and was sent back with a s-load of parts (post movie) to them. Wether their story is true-I have NO idea !

yeah their story is BS. they used 6 hlpag cars, 1 of them was jumped 3 times for the movie and i got it immediately after filming.. one of the only ones that left with a clear title and VIN intact. before they shipped them back to CA> hlpag may have bought your car from someone later, but it did not come straight from WB after filming.  IIRC they had a couple auctions in CA after the last "movie" where the cars were auctioned off.
trav
They used two of J R barton's cars , he sold them to them for $1 then he got the back for a buck.  Wouldnt of hlpag dont the same ? or did they just want to gauge them up front and not have movies cars to sell later ?
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

GeneralLeeTESH

I'll see if I can rotate it towards the engine more...GOOD IDEA...stay tuned !   :2thumbs:

http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/200_ft_-lb__starters.html
The TESH

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

GeneralLeeTESH

Well-the starter is "rotable" !!! I used a spare HEMI adapter to show how to install it ! PROGRESSS pics  attached.
The TESH

GeneralLeeTESH

The TESH

pettybird

that'll live a lot longer--

TUFCAT

When this thread started 40 pages ago....some people may have wondered about good ol' Tesh and his ability  :shruggy:

Now, I think we can all safely say that he's a damn good engineer....and funny guy as well.  :icon_smile_wink:

hemigeno

I thought the drain tube was supposed to point down? :shruggy:

GeneralLeeTESH

It will. Tonight, i have to carefully remove & drill the back cover and re-install the tube it so it will point down (after that- plug the other hole)! Good call.  :yesnod:
The TESH

70Sbird

So are you makin' smoke with this yet?

Scott Faulkner

GeneralLeeTESH

Well-SMOKE has two definitions in regards to this project. Smoke created by burning up the starter motor...OR SMOKE created by the immediate application of bleach on the ground and a 500 Hp HEMI with dual 4 barrels and a close ratio 4 speed and 3:50 Butt geared Ford 9" posi !  :nana: :D :scratchchin: :laugh: :icon_smile_big: :drool5: :o
The TESH

AirborneSilva

Quote from: GeneralLeeTESH on March 19, 2009, 09:20:17 AM
Well-SMOKE has two definitions in regards to this project. Smoke created by burning up the starter motor...OR SMOKE created by the immediate application of bleach on the ground and a 500 Hp HEMI with dual 4 barrels and a close ratio 4 speed and 3:50 Butt geared Ford 9" posi !  :nana: :D :scratchchin: :laugh: :icon_smile_big: :drool5: :o

I'm voting for the later rather then the former  :icon_smile_big:

GeneralLeeTESH

Well-fixed a small crack i found on the bottom RH Frame Rail.
Then- I installed the new Tranny tunnel Hump (replacing the original one HLPAG cut out of the car). Then- I installed new rear MONROE shocks and installed my shifter and its Hurst boot ! :cheers:
The TESH

bigcountry

Nice stop-drill, even though you didn't need it since you welded it up. :2thumbs:
Cut to size, Beat to fit, Paint to match.

GeneralLeeTESH

Oops-forgot to say-I also installed new down-turn exhaust tips !
The TESH

bigcountry

Cut to size, Beat to fit, Paint to match.

GeneralLeeTESH

finally-Instrumentation and engine wire bundle installations start tomorrow along with "security measures", then install carbs, fuel regulator, radiator, fan, alternator, battery and run her ! Then put the front end and pushbar on along with the hood and air scoop ! Then the ejection seat goes in along with seat belts and passenger seat .
The TESH

IowaCharger69

HEMI, 4sp?! I am jealous x1000. Nicely done sir!

AirborneSilva

Lookin good and comin together real nice  :2thumbs:

PocketThunder

From my experience two years ago, I had the same exhaust on my 68 and the fumes would roll up the side of the car and come in the windows.  I would suggest you run the exhaust the rest of the way back and save yourself a possible headache.
:Twocents:

Paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

maxwellwedge

Quote from: PocketThunder on March 21, 2009, 08:25:01 PM
From my experience two years ago, I had the same exhaust on my 68 and the fumes would roll up the side of the car and come in the windows.  I would suggest you run the exhaust the rest of the way back and save yourself a possible headache.
:Twocents:

Paul

:iagree:

Those gas tank straps look a little funky - have you got those bolted at the rear? Are the slots in the body shot?