News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Disc brake conversion caliper question?

Started by toddscharger, April 13, 2007, 03:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toddscharger

I have a 70 Charger and I am doing a front disc brake conversion using '73-76 A body spindels.

Do I need to get 70 Charger calipers or '73-76 A body calipers????

Also will BOTH calipers be mounted to the rear, or both to the front, or one each way???

Thanks, Todd

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

toddscharger

John, I saw that article, but it was not very clear which-- calipers --you use.

The ones from a 70 Charger, or from the "donor car" which, in this case, would be a 73-76 Dart.
Some 73-76 Darts had "forward" mounted calipers and come had "rear" mounted clipers, I need to know which ones I should get or if I need to get calipers appropriate for a 70 Charger.

Todd

Shakey

toddscharger

Thanks Shakey....

anyone else out there use 73-76 A body CALIPERS? or Charger CALIPERS?

Chatt69chgr

The 73-76 A-body spindles is the starting point in the conversion.  Now you have to decide if you are going with 10.87 inch rotors or 11.75 inch rotors.  And you also need to decide if you want to use slider type calipers or pin type calipers.  This will determine which caliiper adapter you MUST have to proceed.  The caliper adapter attaches to the spindle and the calipers bolt to it.  There was an extensive thread on this and quite a few folks like the slider caliper since they say it is more "solid"---- as it were.  Either will work fine.  A second reason to use the slider was that, apparently, there are no really good brake pads available anymore for the pin type.  Not to say there are not any available.  They are.  But they are not the real good ones.  By the way, either type of caliper will bolt to the caliper adapters, whether they be the large or small caliper adapters.  The easiest and cheapest way to go is to use the slider caliper adapters which came on the 73-76 A-Bodys.  They are the small ones in that they work with the 10.87 inch rotors but they are actually beefier than some earlier slider caliper adapters.  The best calipers to use with these are the ones specified for a 79 Cordoba.  Get the one with the Phenolic pistons---not the metal pistons.  They are available rebuilt from Cardone as part number 184102 and 184103.  They have the 2.75 inch pistons.  The pads you want to use with these are the Bendix Fleet Metlok part number MKD84FM.  They are expensive----something like $65---but worth it.  They are the good stuff.  The brake hose to get is the the one for a 73 Charger for sliders.  I think it's a Raybestos BH36828.  And I almost forgot, O'reilly has the good Wagner made in USA rotors you want to use.  If you are going with the big rotors, you will have to get a large slider caliper adapter off EBAY.  And they are hard as the dickens to find.  Not quite so hard to find is the large pin type caliper adapter.   

If you have any other questions, the expert on this is on this forum as IS IT EVER DONE.  He is where I got all my information and I can't thank him enough.

pb24

I have a set of the large caliper adapters how can you tell if they are the pin type or slider type. In your thread you said both type of calipers will work on the caliper adapter but towards the end you stated that their is a adapter for pin type and a differant one for slide type.

Shakey

Quote from: pb24 on April 13, 2007, 11:51:06 PM
I have a set of the large caliper adapters how can you tell if they are the pin type or slider type. In your thread you said both type of calipers will work on the caliper adapter but towards the end you stated that their is a adapter for pin type and a differant one for slide type.

There is some info on the caliper adapters in the Mopar Action link.  There are also some comparison photos.

Chatt69chgr

http://www.moparaction.com/tech/archive/disc-main.html

Look at the website above and it shows pictures of the two differrent caliper adapters.  The slider has two nice machined surfaces on it for the caliper to slide on.  The pin type has holes in it for the two pins to stick through.  The pads on these also have holes in them that the pins go through.  I believe you will find that the pin type was used on the 70-72 B-body and the 70-74 E-body.  I don't think it was used on anything else.  The sliders were used on all kinds of chrysler vehicles.  My old 73 Ford F100 had sliders.  Look up the pads for a 72 challenger and you can see how they differ from the pads for say a 79 cordoba.