News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What color are the haulers?

Started by UFO, April 13, 2007, 07:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UFO

Anyone know what the color combo is for this company?

bordin34

Looks to match the daytonas so Im guessing red or green and white.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

rt green

wow! if they only knew. that would be one hell of a 401 k
third string oil changer

Brock Samson

why does the paint look so splotchy?..

Mean 318

rt green

plastic thin clear sheets are put on buy yhe factory to keep paint chips and scratches at bay. they still do that today
third string oil changer

TUFCAT

Chrysler, nor creative indiustries, for that matter ever put anything on such as protective film back then to protect the paint!  ::) ::) ::) Looks like these cars were leaving Creative Industries (on Nine Mile Road near Kelly Rd in East Detroit), and were loaded up on a side street rather than a typical car haulaway storage lot. My guess is that was heavy morning dew, frost, or just plain dirt from being parked outside while it rained (or even snowed) on them for a while. Remember, these completed cars could have sat outside for a while. They were not released as they were completed, based on the pictures I've seen of Daytonas parked bumper to bumper within rows and rows at the Creative Industries parking lot. I'm also pretty sure they weren't wet sanded at creative, but it kinda looks like the remnants of wet sanded paint (if they had wet sanded the tops of the cars that is).  If they were really that dirty, my guess is they wouldn't leave Creative that way, or be delivered to the dealers in that condition. Perhaps they were going to another facility, or back to the plant for cleanup?....I'm sure the plant wouldn't want to see 500 or so cars coming back for cleanup.....so I'm still going with the morning dew or frost theory - not sure about frost - since there's still leaves on the trees in the background. Does anybody know what period these cars were built? I thought the cars were built during the winter months -  was it February/March of 1969?  If anybody knows for sure, that would help. This is a very interesting thread.  :icon_smile_wink: :icon_smile_wink: :icon_smile_wink: 

TruckDriver

My guess on the color of the hauler would be Corporate Blue with white on the doors which was Chryslers corporate colors. I remember seeing a LOT of Corporate blue & white Chrysler-Dodge trucks when they used to have a Chrysler engine plant in my home town back in the '70s.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

TUFCAT

I seriously doubt the corporate blue and white theme. Actually, let me rephrase that - - the color scheme may be close to corporate blue and white, but car haulers were never part of Chrysler Corp, back then or now.....perhaps  a Cassens or Allied truck. As far as the colors go, I think Allied used a light pasel shade of green, and white  :icon_smile_wink: :icon_smile_wink: :icon_smile_wink:

TripleBlackGator

If anyone would know Steve Juliano should. Here is a link to contact him.

http://www.stevenjuliano.com/home.htm

Also Mr. Norm or any dealer doing business in the late 60's since these may have been used to drop the cars off at the dealers.
Malicious, vindictive, spiteful, cynical, pessimistic, sarcastic, & antagonistic. And those are my good traits!

UFO

Thanks for the tip, I`ll try Steven Juliano.

WheresMyCharger

My dad hauled Chrysler products in the Northeast from 1956 to 1985 when he retired. In the earlier years the cars were covered with a canvas tarp with a cotton fleece underside (We still had 2 or 3 in the mid 70's)Later years the cars were sprayed with a whiteish wax type substance that kept the road grime and truck exhaust off the painted finish. The pics of those Daytonas looks like the spray after it has been outside for awile.
His company trucks were red Dodges, then went to yellow when Ryder supplied them with equipment.
Have you seen my old '69 Charger??
       *XP29H9B324356*

hemigeno

UFO, I have no color pictures of the transport trucks from Nu-Car Driveaway.  Wish I did!  My guess is that they were red/white, but that's just a guess.  I'd be curious to know myself.

Here's some othe random thoughts I had while reading TUFCAT's reply - good discussion BTW...

Quote from: TUFCAT on April 14, 2007, 10:42:46 AM
Looks like these cars were leaving Creative Industries (on Nine Mile Road near Kelly Rd in East Detroit), and were loaded up on a side street rather than a typical car haulaway storage lot.

That's the consensus opinion, although the address I had heard was on Ten Mile Road (but I've never been to Detroit so I have no clue myself).  There's a nice discussion on aerowarriors.com of how some folks came to that conclusion here:

http://aerowarriors.com/afct.html

My guess is that was heavy morning dew, frost, or just plain dirt from being parked outside while it rained (or even snowed) on them for a while.

Judging from the somewhat short length of the shadows, I don't think it was the first thing in the morning.  It probably wasn't dew, but that's just my guess.  If the cars were parked in a heavily shaded area the dew could have lasted longer, but that'd be a lot of dew   :o

Remember, these completed cars could have sat outside for a while. They were not released as they were completed, based on the pictures I've seen of Daytonas parked bumper to bumper within rows and rows at the Creative Industries parking lot.

Creative's target date to start doing the conversion work was June 1, but I have not read anywhere when they actually started doing the conversions - it could have been a little later since Dodge's design team was still feverishly working on the final engineering of the conversion components right up until they started the conversions.  You're absolutely right that some cars were probably stored for a period of several weeks, although we don't know for certain when the first car was completed, and whether or not it was the first car to be shipped out.  Chrysler didn't appear to follow a definite pattern when it came to logistics.

I'm also pretty sure they weren't wet sanded at creative, but it kinda looks like the remnants of wet sanded paint (if they had wet sanded the tops of the cars that is). 

I have no idea about wet sanding specifically, but there were several areas where paint was applied to the existing painted finishes - the roof being one of the major areas that needed attention.  They would have had to pay some attention to the blending in of the paint lines, or it would have looked horrid (and some of the body work wasn't too spiffy to begin with).

If they were really that dirty, my guess is they wouldn't leave Creative that way, or be delivered to the dealers in that condition. Perhaps they were going to another facility, or back to the plant for cleanup?....I'm sure the plant wouldn't want to see 500 or so cars coming back for cleanup.....so I'm still going with the morning dew or frost theory - not sure about frost - since there's still leaves on the trees in the background.

From what I have read, the cars were shipped directly from Creative Industries to the dealerships.  There wouldn't be too much use in really prepping the car for delivery, since any weather the transport truck ran into would undo any major efforts along those lines.  Final prep was the dealer's task anyway.  My guess is that they were hosed off just prior to loading them up.  I had thought before that maybe it had rained, but there are no puddles out on the road in any of those pictures, and it looks perfectly dry.  The truck isn't wet either.

Does anybody know what period these cars were built? I thought the cars were built during the winter months -  was it February/March of 1969?  If anybody knows for sure, that would help. This is a very interesting thread.  :icon_smile_wink: :icon_smile_wink: :icon_smile_wink: 

The first car was shipped out on August 20, 1969 and the last is shown as being shipped on September 8th - just a couple of days before the Talladega race that was held on September 14th.  No chance of frost then, even in the Detroit area.

:Twocents:

UFO

Here`s the reason for the question.One of my other hobbies/obsessions is model building.The trailer is still available and the Dodge L700 is supposed to be released later this year.

TUFCAT

Hemigeno... you're right on!  It was Ten Mile Rd . My mistake on that.  Also, you did some very good investigative/interpretative work from that picture. You really know your stuff  ;) ;) ;)  At first, it was very interesting for me because I didn't see the rear spoilers. Then I looked harder and could faintly see the outline of a spoiler against the white background. I was thinking: why did they load Daytona's with the nose cone but without the spoilers?? 

hemigeno

Thanks, Tufcat - I enjoy digging out the little details, especially when it comes to the Daytonas.  :yesnod:

Until you mentioned it, I never really noticed in that picture how well that white wing blends into the sky/background, and that white car's black wing blends into the building in the background too.  There are other pictures of the cars on the truck and you can see the wings very clearly, but you're right - from that perspective it almost does look like they didn't have the wings on.  You can see that they didn't have the nose spoilers, license plate bracket or wheel trim rings on when they shipped the car, but the wings were mounted.

UFO, that trailer & Daytona model will go great with an L700 tractor.  Very nice touch!  Maybe one of us can remember to ask Bob Malcom what the color scheme was - he was a Dealer back then, and he's always at the wing car club functions.  I'll also move this thread over to the Aero Forum, where some other guys might have an idea on the color.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Pretty interesting stuff!  I too didnt see the wings on the cars.....I had to go back for a sceond look.   Do you think there was enough room for the wings if they parked them on the lower level?

PS---nice work UFO :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

charger Downunder

The middle Daytona has body sill mouldings isnt that rare for a Daytona.
[/quote]

Aero426

The exact address of the Creative building if you want to check it out is:

Nu Ad
17630 East 10 Mile Road    (It's on 10 mile east  of Gratiot Ave)
Eastpointe, MI 48021-1266

The building is much the same as it would have been in the old days.   The hauler photos are in the front of the building on 10 mile.   When you look at the hauler photos, you can pick out the houses and landmarks across the street easily.     The back lot behind the building is a large asphalt parking lot.  The photos of the cars were taken off the roof.   The building inside is pretty much an open floorpan.  Not much in the way of walls.   They could work on maybe ten cars or so at one time.

hemigeno

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on April 16, 2007, 08:25:32 AM
Do you think there was enough room for the wings if they parked them on the lower level?

Chris, the wings are only slightly taller than the roof of the car itself, and doesn't stick out past the rear bumper, so it should have fit in the hauler alright.  Not a whole lot of extra room, but it should have fit.

I wonder what type of axle they were running on that trailer with only single rear wheels?  I have not seen a picture of a fully-loaded trailer, but from the looks of things they probably could have only hauled five Daytonas at a time unless they hung the back end of the last car (on the bottom row) off the tail of the trailer somehow.  Still a pretty good load for a single axle tractor and that type of trailer.  Guess it worked though!

Quote from: charger Downunder on April 16, 2007, 09:00:33 AM
The middle Daytona has body sill mouldings isnt that rare for a Daytona.

From what I have seen, it's quite rare.  Only a couple of the 150 or so Fender Tags in my log have M25 called out.

Since we're kicking around the hauler, here are the rest of the pictures from Aerowarriors.com (which came from Greg Kwiatkowski's awesome collection of Daytona stuff)

TUFCAT

Thanks for the new clearer pictures...but that's doesn't appear to be the same load of Daytonas....the last car (seen on the ramps) is not the last car on the top in the first picture.  That car appeared to have had a black wing and was lighter color. Also, that first picture may have suffered from bad photography which gave the cars that "streaky" or "dirty" look to the sides. For the record, in this picture they are still dirty, but not as bad as we thought (judging by the close-up picture of the side glass).  Also, note: no Hemi's either, judging by the 14" road wheels and lack of door emblems.

Shakey

Quote from: UFO on April 15, 2007, 07:32:08 PM
Here`s the reason for the question.One of my other hobbies/obsessions is model building.The trailer is still available and the Dodge L700 is supposed to be released later this year.

Is that an RCMP Daytona?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

UFO

Shakey,   Yes That`s an RCMP Daytona.

Tripleblackgator,  Got a reply from Steven Juliano.He does not know but said he passed my question on to someone else who might know.

TripleBlackGator

Quote from: UFO on April 16, 2007, 06:09:44 PM
Shakey,   Yes That`s an RCMP Daytona.

Tripleblackgator,  Got a reply from Steven Juliano.He does not know but said he passed my question on to someone else who might know.

Cool! If the person does know let's us know as well.
Malicious, vindictive, spiteful, cynical, pessimistic, sarcastic, & antagonistic. And those are my good traits!