News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Adjusting the steering wheel position

Started by histoy, April 14, 2007, 09:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

histoy

My '64 Belvedere has manual steering, and this winter I installed a new pitman arm.    It looked like the one I removed, but the bend in the arm must be slightly different.   Instead of the crossbar on the steering wheel being at the 3 & 9 o'clock position, it's now at the 2 & 8 o'clock positions.   I think that I should be able to turn the tie rod sleeves equal amounts in the opposite direction to correctly position the wheel.   Does anyone know which way I'd have to turn them?

Plumcrazy

You need to shorten the drivers side and lengthen the passengers side tie rod assemblies an equal amount.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

histoy

Thanks.   That was what I was thinking, but I didn't want to try it unless someone else confirmed that it was the right thing to do.  I appreciate your help....Brian

Charger-Bodie

i would also double check to be sure that the pitman arms are identical too
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............