News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How do you replace lower torsion mount rubber

Started by daytonalo, April 13, 2007, 12:11:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daytonalo

Can someone inform me on how to simply remove and replace lower control arm pivot bushings on a 70 . Everything is apart and replacing them with stock rubber .

2harleyriders

If it is like the lowers on my 71 it is a real pain in the butt.   :brickwall:   I did my whole front suspension.  The lower control arm pivit bushing bolt has to be pressed out(hammered out)  then the outer shell of the bushing will be stuck in the lower control arm.  You have to use a chisel or air hammer with chisle and chisel them out.  I thought I ruined my control arms.  Even the manual say to be carefull when doing this because they know it is nearly impossible to do without scratching the hell out of the finished surface.  But they came out looking like a crushed and ripped beer can.  I had some deep scratches in the control arm that I had to grind back down with a dremmel tool.
Thats how I roll.

daytonalo

Thank you . Here is what I did and it took under five min . Cut a section of 2 inch id pipe 7.5 inches long , put this over pivot , press out pivot , yank out rubber , then take a large nut , drop in outer shell and weld to outer shell , flip over and drive it out , take a 7/8 id washer and slide over inner sleeve on pivot and weld to washer to inner shell , put in vise and tap out pivot from inner bushing shell . This took my under 5 min after pipe was cut to length .