News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

biggest 70 front sway bar ??????

Started by daytonalo, April 13, 2007, 12:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daytonalo

What is the biggest front sway bar they make for a 70 , and who sells it and how much ?

Rolling_Thunder

i believe 1 1/4 is the largest now...          Hotchkis has discontinued their big bar...         1.25" is availble from firm feel
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

daytonalo

And That will fit in the pocket of a 70 k frame ?

Rolling_Thunder

might want to contact them about it. i have not actually used any of their sway bars...     i got the Hotchkis - but as i said earlier - they are discontinued
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Dodge Don

Quote from: daytonalo on April 13, 2007, 03:38:26 PM

Getting a sway bar larger than the one that came on the R/T models will be tricky or impossible unless you cut off the skid plate and then re-weld it back on. The skid plate gets in the way of larger bars and prevents feeding the bar through the cavity. I know that a 1-1/8 sway bar in the stock look (same bends / look) will not fit  unless you peel off the skid plate. Some bars don't follow the stock contours and may be easier to feed through.....dunno.

terrible one

Quote from: Dodge Don on April 22, 2007, 08:11:35 AM
Quote from: daytonalo on April 13, 2007, 03:38:26 PM

Getting a sway bar larger than the one that came on the R/T models will be tricky or impossible unless you cut off the skid plate and then re-weld it back on. The skid plate gets in the way of larger bars and prevents feeding the bar through the cavity. I know that a 1-1/8 sway bar in the stock look (same bends / look) will not fit  unless you peel off the skid plate. Some bars don't follow the stock contours and may be easier to feed through.....dunno.

But on a car without a skidplate, there would be no problem, right?

Dodge Don

Not up on 68 or 69s, however I believe (?) that the skidplate was only added on 70 Chargers. If the K-frames are similar to 70 and no skid plate is there it should be pretty easy to jam in a honking big sway bar on an older Charger.

pandamarie

I have a 1 1/4inch front sway bar on my 69 and it went on with no problems also add a 7/8 rear bar. I got them from Quickor suspension, from what I hear they are no longer in business, as I had to go with Hotchkiss bars for my Challenger, again 1 1/4 front and 1 inch rear. only problem was with the rear, the frame mounts needed to be almost an inch longer to make the bar fit right. They took care of the problem quickly, great customer service.

daytonalo

Pardon me , I'm looking for rusty razor blade ! I never thought a question on sway bar could be so complicated and still leave no answer for sure . What is the largest dia that will fit in a 70 , for those who don't know , a 69 is totally different .

Blakcharger440

There is a guy on this board who said that he was able to fit a 1 1/8 bar on the front of a 70 Charger with skid plate.
I would like to see it myself as I had a difficult time in putting the stock bar back in my 70 Charger RT.

And yes 68-69 Charger K-members are different because 70 is the only one of that body style to have
a skid plate.

daytonalo

Thank's , my k-frame is from a 70 318-charger 500 with small sway bar , around .75 . What is dia on R/t or hemi car ? We are talking 70 here

Blakcharger440

I am pretty sure tje stock bar on a 70 Charger RT is .96

Brock Samson

:scratchchin:    i belive our fearless leader mentioned some who over built their charger with a 1" bar but i forget if he say "sway" or "torsion".

hemigeno

According to Galen's little white book of marvelous secrets...

The '70 B and E body cars had a front sway bar diameter of 0.88".  I checked the 70-71 parts manual, and it shows the P/N as 2835862 (same as what Galen listed) for all B-bodies regardless of engine.

Skid plates were used on '70 B-bodies with 440-4, 440-6 and 426 engines.  If you have a '70 K-frame from a 318 car, then it shouldn't have a skid plate (should be Part Number 2962090).  That means you won't have the problem of fishing the sway bar up through the K-frame itself like everyone is mentioning.  If that's the case, then the sky's the limit on how big of a sway bar you want to use.