News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Brake pedal goes most of the way to floor

Started by chargermick, April 13, 2007, 04:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargermick

The brake pedal goes about 3/4 of the way to the floor before it starts to grab. This isn't terrible because the brakes do grab eventually, but it doesn't give you a real feeling of confidence in the brakes. Here's what I have done in the last year. 
SSBC front disc brake kit with new master cylinder
All new stainless brake lines
New wheel cylinders , shoes,
and spring kits in the rear
Bled the snot out of the system 3 times with a vac pump at each wheel
Had the brake booster rebuilt
I really thought that I was eliminating these kind of problems by replacing the whole braking system, but no such luck. Any ideas as to where to turn my attention to next?

resq302

Try adjusting the rear brake shoes out a tad.  That is what did it for me when I had that problem.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

2harleyriders

Is the master cylinder the right one?  Did it have a single master cylinder before?  Now a dual with the front disc.  Rod length could be wrong for the master cylinder???? ???
Thats how I roll.

LargerCharger383

I had that problem too, it ended up being that there were air bubbles in the lines.  I just bled them out thouroghly and they were fine.

mikepmcs

did you bench bleed the master cylinder?

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

chargermick

Thanks for all the help everyone. To answer your questions: yes I bench bled the master, bled the hell out of the system, adjusted the rod so that it is just short of the piston in the master, and adjusted the rear shoes. I'm beginning to think I got a bad master from SSBC.

Just 6T9 CHGR

I think your booster rod adjustment might be the problem....not out far enough & causing the excessive pedal travel.  Thses are the instructions from my rebuilt booster as well as the FSM instructions.   (step #4)   

Not very clear either way.
In the FSM they give a measurement for the rod but that is for the drum brake Midland-Ross booster & not the Bendix booster.....

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

BMOTOXSTAR

73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT