News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

dodge dart swinger from factory with a hemi?

Started by generalfan01, April 12, 2007, 03:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

generalfan01

hey guys im questioning this, somekid is arguing with me that dart swingers came from the factory special ordered with a hemi like 21 or so made and 6 surviving, can anyone verify this? thanks in advance.

dpm68

Yea, those were right spiffy and probably fetch over a mil these days. Owning one of them would be the supreme cream...

hemi-hampton

I think all the 50 or so 68 Hemi Darts started life as GTS not Swingers. Also, they will all have a O in second digit of VIN for Super Stock Designation. LEON.

daz911

My Father says in 1969 he bought a dodge dart swinger with a 426 hemi in it in toronto he use to drag race with a people arround toronto and no one could beat him plum crazy purple also says he bought it from the dodge dealer day he bought it drove it off and it siesed few blocks away because
they never put oil in it lol so they must have made them

hemigeno

Quote from: daz911 on January 24, 2014, 12:29:03 PM
My Father says in 1969 he bought a dodge dart swinger with a 426 hemi in it in toronto he use to drag race with a people arround toronto and no one could beat him plum crazy purple also says he bought it from the dodge dealer day he bought it drove it off and it siesed few blocks away because
they never put oil in it lol so they must have made them

No disrespect intended, but that is simply not correct.  The only 1966-71 A-body factory 426 Hemicars were the aforementioned LO/BO 1968s; and FC7 Plum Crazy was a 1970 color anyway.

Could be someone shoehorned a 426 hemi into a 1969 A-body as a custom job, but it wasn't factory.  383's & 440's were available though... unless this is one of the uber-rare Sales Code BU11 cars with the 440 hemi upgrade.

:eyes:

Ghoste

First post, texting style of writing, thread from the dead-I call teenage troll.

twodko

I'd be thrilled to own a GTS 440 or 383. Truly interstellar go very damned fast cars.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

UFO

If you didn't have the connections or the bucks to one in '68.
Why not build your own.
There's a couple that were done locally that I am aware of.
One was a dedicated drag car the other he thought it would be cool to have.

1974dodgecharger

Same with the hemi cuda which was only for drag but they made it to the streets, 4 speed, hemi cuda with special vin.

twenty mike mike

Quote from: twodko on January 24, 2014, 01:47:04 PM
I'd be thrilled to own a GTS 440 or 383. Truly interstellar go very damned fast cars.

340 GTSs are faster than the 383s, due to power to weight ratios, and handle better, too.

No contest with the 440 though, as long as you can get it hooked up, and it doesn't have to go around a corner.

Troy

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 24, 2014, 07:13:20 PM
Same with the hemi cuda which was only for drag but they made it to the streets, 4 speed, hemi cuda with special vin.
Definitely NOT the same! (Unless you were referring to the slant back A-body Barracuda.) Hemi Darts, along with their earlier siblings, were stripped to bare bones. They had fiberglass fenders and hood (with a GIANT scoop), A100 van front seats, lightweight side glass and bumpers, heavy duty shocks, and battery relocated to the trunk. They did not come with a rear seat, heater, outside mirrors, sound deadener, body sealer, insulation pads, right side seat belts or paint! The window cranking mechanisms were replaced with straps (seat belt material) to raise/lower the glass manually. Cars with a 4-speed transmission got a heavy duty clutch and a Dana with 4.88 gears while the automatic got an HD 727 and 8 3/4 with 4.86 gears.

The only reason I could think someone would call them a Swinger is that the later Darts looked like a Duster while the Swinger remained squared off like the earlier models.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Troy

Quote from: twenty mike mike on January 24, 2014, 07:57:13 PM

340 GTSs are faster than the 383s, due to power to weight ratios, and handle better, too.

No contest with the 440 though, as long as you can get it hooked up, and it doesn't have to go around a corner.
I believe the E-body cars were also faster in the corners with a 340 (not even the Six Pack version). The Darts were so light the big blocks just blew the weight distribution all out of whack.

Troy

1974dodgecharger

Cuda did not get a fiberglass hood with big scoop? With that hemi? In 68? Everything was stripped in the cuda also just like that dart and only 60 came off the line.

Time for google...

Quote from: Troy on January 24, 2014, 08:07:26 PM
Definitely NOT the same! (Unless you were referring to the slant back A-body Barracuda.) Hemi Darts, along with their earlier siblings, were stripped to bare bones. They had fiberglass fenders and hood (with a GIANT scoop), A100 van front seats, lightweight side glass and bumpers, heavy duty shocks, and battery relocated to the trunk. They did not come with a rear seat, heater, outside mirrors, sound deadener, body sealer, insulation pads, right side seat belts or paint! The window cranking mechanisms were replaced with straps (seat belt material) to raise/lower the glass manually. Cars with a 4-speed transmission got a heavy duty clutch and a Dana with 4.88 gears while the automatic got an HD 727 and 8 3/4 with 4.86 gears.

The only reason I could think someone would call them a Swinger is that the later Darts looked like a Duster while the Swinger remained squared off like the earlier models.

Troy

68X426

Quote from: Ghoste on January 24, 2014, 01:17:49 PM
I call teenage troll.

I think you are correct sir. 

Who doesn't smirk at the "my dad" story combined with a Hemi and Plum Crazy? 

It's the trifecta of trolling.  :hah:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Ghoste on January 24, 2014, 01:17:49 PM
First post, texting style of writing, thread from the dead-I call teenage troll.

First post he came out swinging lol..usually they post in the wanted section asking for 2nd gen for 2k or lower.

Lord Warlock

I'll back Troy's claim, I remember the article in Hot Rod magazine about the lightweight hemi darts, from what i remember they were sold as drag strip only cars and were not legally streetable. 

The cousin that introduced me to mopars owns a 440 GTS Dart so i know those were street legal and sold to the public. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Ghoste

That is correct.  The Hurst modified 1968 Hemi Darts and Hemi Barracudas did NOT come with any warranty or legal respsonsibility decals or etc etc etc.  They were race only and came with a glass front end and unpainted.  They had Race Hemis installed (with oil in the pan no less!) and they made just enough to qualify for Super Stock drag racing with the NHRA.  The requirement was for 50 of each and teh target was exceeded slightly.  They went to specific destinations, not the sales bank.  The history on them is well known and well publicized.
They were NOT street legal or street- ABLE cars anywhere.  And they were NOT sold as such anywhere.

68X426

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Troy

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 24, 2014, 08:58:46 PM
Cuda did not get a fiberglass hood with big scoop? With that hemi? In 68? Everything was stripped in the cuda also just like that dart and only 60 came off the line.

Time for google...

Troy

They did not make a 'Cuda in 68 - only a Barracuda (which is an A-body). The 'Cuda name came along in 1970 with the introduction of the the E-body Barracuda. It's equivalent to the R/T on the Dodge side. The Hemi was just an optional engine for those cars at that time and the hood badges said "Hemicuda". That is why I said they are different. If, however, you meant the 1968 Hemi Barracuda then, yes, they got the same treatment as a 1968 Hemi Dart.

Troy

twodko

Quote from: twenty mike mike on January 24, 2014, 07:57:13 PM

Roger that.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Nacho-RT74

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Dart

Changes for 1968 were relatively subtle. The park/turn lights in the grille were moved slightly inboard and made round. Side marker lights were added to the front fenders and rear quarter panels, to comply with newly introduced Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108. Shoulder harnesses (separate, this year and until 1973, from the lap belts) and non-glare matte finish on the windshield wiper arms were also part of the 1968 federally mandated safety package. Chrysler's "Clean Air Package" emission control system became standard equipment on cars sold in all 50 states.[22] The steering linkage was revised again, as were the windshield and rear window gaskets and trim-lock strips, leaving the 1967 pieces as one-year-only items. The standard rear axle ratio was dropped from 2.93 to 2.76 with all standard-performance engines and automatic transmission. Part-throttle downshift functionality was added as a refinement to the TorqueFlite automatic transmission in 6-cylinder cars, to retain acceptable city performance with the taller rear axle ratio.[22] A limited option for 1968 only were the Hurst Hemi Darts, using the 426 Hemi engine, constructed with weight reducing stripped down interiors, removal of side window mechanisms. These special models (only 50 were made) were created strictly for drag racing, and included a non-warranty disclaimer. The cars were shipped painted only with primer with base wheels, fiberglass body components (hood with a special scoop).
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Ghoste

Quote from: Troy on January 25, 2014, 12:55:49 PM

Time for google...

Troy

They did not make a 'Cuda in 68 - only a Barracuda (which is an A-body). The 'Cuda name came along in 1970 with the introduction of the the E-body Barracuda. It's equivalent to the R/T on the Dodge side. The Hemi was just an optional engine for those cars at that time and the hood badges said "Hemicuda". That is why I said they are different. If, however, you meant the 1968 Hemi Barracuda then, yes, they got the same treatment as a 1968 Hemi Dart.

Troy

But the Cuda nickname came up shortly after the first one in the mid 60's.  And actually you could buy a 'Cuda option in 69 although it wasn't a stand alone model yet.

Troy

Quote from: Ghoste on January 25, 2014, 02:35:52 PM
Quote from: Troy on January 25, 2014, 12:55:49 PM

Time for google...

Troy

Troy

But the Cuda nickname came up shortly after the first one in the mid 60's.  And actually you could buy a 'Cuda option in 69 although it wasn't a stand alone model yet.
I see that but you couldn't buy a Hemi Cuda until 1970 and, even then, it wasn't a special production race car.

Troy

twenty mike mike

Just in case anyone is ever on a quiz show, it's 'cuda, not 'Cuda.  :nana:

Ghoste