News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Indy heads / Edelbrock heads

Started by HalfastAMX, October 10, 2005, 07:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HalfastAMX

For the price/performance , which is a better choice?

Im thinking of offing my Eddie mani and carb for Indy Heads, mani, and maybe a Demon.

firefighter3931

What motor ? Depends on the combo....cam, stall, gears etc...Goig from an oem iron head to any aluminum aftermarket casting should show some inprovement.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

HalfastAMX

AMC 401 .040 over,Eddie performer intake, Eddie Carb, 10:1 JE pistons, polished/balanced Stock crank,Hyd cam  lift  in: .512  ex .535  Dur @.050 in: 228  ex: 234., stock hi flow ex manifolds, custom 3" alum ex w custom X-pipe, Yukon 1 piece axles, detroit locker w/331 gears, TF 727( cant remember stall), KYB rear shocks, Eibach adj Coil over fronts.

I like the way she runs right now, but i want more. Also having traction issues and am thinking of some Cal-Tracs for a cure.

Also going to get an MSD pro-billet dist and an MSD 6AL box (im still runnin points!)
Headers are also on the list, maybe a set of Doug Thorleys.

Whaddya think?

Runner

i have a buddy that races amc's he has 3 amx's and a spirit. he put a set of eheads on inplace of a set of home ported doglegs with bb mopar valves. he slowed down and these heads were his first porting job.  if he had it to do over he would go with the indy's.  he is curently running a roller camed iron headed 389 inch 401 block with ome sort of chevy rod and piston combo.   good luck on what ever you decided!

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

firefighter3931

Sounds like the Indy's are the way to go. Sometimes porting will actually hurt the power #'s if they were opened up in the wrong areas. Bigger isn't necessarily better when it comes to headflow. Velocity and port efficiency are more important, especially in a street application.   :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

700HPCharger

BLAM

Out of the box Eddy heads are all you need for the current configuration and you will gain 75hp (at least).  Indys will be way overkill for the current engine.  Eddy heads are good on applications as high as 550hp and with a little work will flow great.  Save the money buy the Eddy heads and put the savings towards a pinion snubber, stout springs, and a set of drag radials.  Then you will go fast and hook up hard!
RLTW - "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell

Mike DC

Indy heads are bigger.  If bigger = better in your case, then Indys are better.  Indys are big, they're well done, and they're more expensive than the Eddys.

Eddy heads are only slightly bigger than the stock heads, but their efficiency is notably better than the stockers.  And the price of the Eddys is very little more than what it takes to overhaul a set of worn out stock heads.

Ghoste

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on March 05, 2006, 08:46:12 PM
  And the price of the Eddys is very little more than what it takes to overhaul a set of worn out stock heads.

In some cases, they might even be less.  :o

Chryco Psycho

not all Indys are bigger , the EZ castings are designed much smaller to compete with eddy heads

firefighter3931

Quote from: BLAM on March 04, 2006, 05:37:14 PM
  Eddy heads are good on applications as high as 550hp and with a little work will flow great. 

I recently read of a 700hp eddy headed combo. Granted these were cnc ported and on a stroker race combo type build, but still pretty impressive for a "stock replacement" head. With mild porting on a 493ci combo, they'll make 600hp easy on pump gas. That's enough to push a 3900 lb Charger into the 10's.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron

Chryco Psycho

the advantage of the Eddy & stroker combo is the head becomes more correctly sized to get the correct compression with a flat top piston

firefighter3931

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on March 07, 2006, 04:17:14 AM
the advantage of the Eddy & stroker combo is the head becomes more correctly sized to get the correct compression with a flat top piston

Agreed. The larger chamber just makes it easier to dial in 10.5:1 with a 440 ci combo. The stroker is a different story though and requires a custom piston for zero deck and 10.5:1 static. At that point it doesn't matter what head you buy because they're all custom, allthough Diamond does make a set for the 493/zero deck/10.5:1 combo and 84cc chamber. It's really a mute point anyway because custom slugs are only an extra $50.00-$75.00 anyway. That's small potatoes in the grand scheme of things on an engne that will cost several thousand dollars to build ; but it is important to pick the head then size the shortblock around it with emphisas on tight quench....assuming it's a pump gas build.

Ron