News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rings gone in my 318?

Started by charger0740, April 13, 2007, 07:30:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger0740

When i start it up the engine smokes heavily for about 5 or 6 min. then goes away..but when i let it sit for more then a couple hours and start it back up the engine smokes again for a few more min. I am guessing it has bad rings..Is there anything else that can cause this problem? I didn't want top pull the engine out of my charger right before spring begins because i like ot use it as my daily driver in the summer.  I am only 17 years old and i will have to wait a bit if i do rebuild anyway for the space in my garage and the money.

jackel440

when the rings went south on my 68 coronet itwould leave a smoke trial like you went down a gravel road. :brickwall:
I would say more like valveguides or valve seals maybe.just a thought.

OttawaCharger

Sounds like valve guides to me.
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

Paul G

I second the valve guide seals. Rings make it in to a "Mopar Mosquito Fogger" Valve guide seals smoke on start up and then it goes away. Oil can drip down past the valve guides and collect in the combustion chamber while the engine cools down. Once re-started it has to burn off that collected oil. Then no more smoke.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

Brightyellow69rtse

valve seals all the way if it were your rings your be smokeing all the time. seals are cheap be happy :).........MIke

charger0740

thank you for all thehelps guys

I really appreciate it