News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Louisiana Pets

Started by Arigmaster, September 11, 2005, 09:05:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arigmaster

I ran across this and it really pissed me off!!!      :flame:   :flame:

Saturday, September 10, 2005; Page A23

The week after Hurricane Katrina hit, the media covered the thousands of
low-income people trapped for lack of means to get out. Almost two weeks
later, thousands still hadn't left, in many cases because official policy
would not accept the bond between people and their nonhuman family members.
Members of a frustrated rescue team simplified it for a "Dateline" news
crew: They said people were refusing to be evacuated simply because "they
won't leave their pets."

There is a class issue involved here. While Marriott hotels welcomed the
pets of Katrina evacuees as "part of the family," people who had to rely on
the Red Cross for shelter were forced to abandon that part of the family or
attempt to ride out the storm. It cannot be denied that many poor people are
dead as a result of "no pets" policies.

The Los Angeles Times reported on Patricia Penny, who wondered whether her
son Billy had survived. She had begged him to leave, but he was afraid to
abandon his animals. CNN showed the rescue of a family, including a dog,
sitting on a rooftop as a boat pulled up. The boat left without the dog.
Staying with a dog and risking their own lives is not an option for people
who have children to provide for. The parents were given no choice but to
abandon the dog, and to break their children's hearts. As they pulled away
they all watched their trusting, confused and terrified canine family member
alone on the roof.

At Red Cross shelters there are families that have lost their homes and all
of their possessions but are thanking God that they are all safe. Others are
frantic, unable to think of anything besides the slow deaths of beloved
companion animals they were forced to leave on rooftops or at bus boarding
points. One woman, with no other possessions left, offered her rescuer the
wedding ring off her finger to save her dog, to no avail.

A young boy carried a dog in his arms as he tried to board a bus to the
Houston Astrodome. Dogs were not allowed. The Associated Press story
reported that "a police officer took one from a little boy, who cried until
he vomited. 'Snowball, Snowball,' " he cried." In a similar story, an old
woman, traveling alone except for the poodle in her arms, was forced to
leave him behind to wander the streets. We have read other stories of
elderly people forced to choose between their lifesaving medications or
their life-affirming pets. CNN's Anderson Cooper even reported on a woman,
legally blind, who for 10 days had been told that she could not take her
service dog with her if she was evacuated. She had stayed put until the CNN
cameras arrived and the police relented.

Many large hotel chains, aware of the human-animal bond, now allow guests of
varied species. Sadly, those organizations on which we rely, not when on
vacation but in life-or-death circumstances, are not up with the times.

The pets pulled from people's arms would not have taken seats meant for
humans. There is no reasonable explanation for abandoning them. They were
the last vestiges of sweetness, in some cases the only living family, of
those who had nothing left. But the police officers were just following
orders -- orders that reflect an official policy inconsistent with how
people feel about their animals.

Red Cross shelters that do not have animal-friendly areas, or do not
coordinate with humane groups to make sure that there are animal shelters
nearby, are out of touch with the needs of a society in which 60 percent of
families have pets and many view them as intrinsic members of the family.

From Washington Post

Drop Top

What is more important a life of a human or the life of a dog? In times like these when water and food are at a bear minimum or not at all. They don't have enough food and water for human consumption. How are they going to feed all of these animals? Then you will have to contend with all of the dog crap that will come will them. Have you seen what happens when you get more then 2 dogs that don't get along well together? Many times the owners can't handle there dogs. What will happen when someone gets bit because the dog thinks its owner is being threatened? There is not enough time or room to take care of all of the people much less 1000's of animals. You know some people have goats for pets. Some even have horses for pets. If your going to make room for pets. Then all pets should be allowed. To be honest, I would take a nanny goat before a dog. At least you can get milk from her or eat her if need be.

Don't get me wrong, I love my dog very much. Shes a great companion. A very good watch dog. She gets in the back of my pick up every time I go to town. But if I where in this situation I would have to think about my fellow humans first and not put them through any more problems then they all ready have. Yes it would break my hart to have to leave her behind. But a human life is much more important then any animal. If they where a small group of people that needed to be saved and there was alot of room. Then fine bring your pets. But in this situation leave them behind. The child will get over the loss of the pet as soon as you get them another one. It called life. Things have to be done to servive.

PocketThunder

Quote from: Drop Top on September 11, 2005, 10:25:12 AM
What is more important a life of a human or the life of a dog? In times like these when water and food are at a bear minimum or not at all. They don't have enough food and water for human consumption. How are they going to feed all of these animals? Then you will have to contend with all of the dog crap that will come will them. Have you seen what happens when you get more then 2 dogs that don't get along well together? Many times the owners can't handle there dogs. What will happen when someone gets bit because the dog thinks its owner is being threatened? There is not enough time or room to take care of all of the people much less 1000's of animals. You know some people have goats for pets. Some even have horses for pets. If your going to make room for pets. Then all pets should be allowed. To be honest, I would take a nanny goat before a dog. At least you can get milk from her or eat her if need be.

Don't get me wrong, I love my dog very much. Shes a great companion. A very good watch dog. She gets in the back of my pick up every time I go to town. But if I where in this situation I would have to think about my fellow humans first and not put them through any more problems then they all ready have. Yes it would break my hart to have to leave her behind. But a human life is much more important then any animal. If they where a small group of people that needed to be saved and there was alot of room. Then fine bring your pets. But in this situation leave them behind. The child will get over the loss of the pet as soon as you get them another one. It called life. Things have to be done to servive.

:iagree:  Well said DT.  I've had many pets in my life and when my dog got hit by a car or my cat died, my dad made me dig the hole and burry it.  He said, its a part of life, you live and you die.  And when that next new puppy came home we forgot about the old one real fast... 
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Charger4404spd

What is more important a life of a human or the life of a dog?

Depends on who the human is! Id rather save a dog as one of the poeple shooting at rescuers and helicopters.
I have seen numerous boats on the news empty, just riding around like they were on a Saturday night cruise. Would it hurt to save a few of the animals on rooftops, tied up on front porches with no food or water?

Sure, if I had to decide between saving someone or an animal, there wouldnt be anyting to think about. There are plenty of rescue boats in the area to save everyone and the animals, its just a matter of rescue management, which I haven't seen yet. The 'rescue' of that area has been a total disaster.

Todd Wilson

Thats too bad to hear that. You apparently dont have a good bond with your dog.  Heck of it is, something bad were to happen your dog would probably lay its life on the line to protect you but you would abandon it when the going got tough. I feel sorry for your dog.

Todd

CFMopar

Ya I have to say I couldnt leave my dog behind or any of my pets. My brother had a bird that would make so much damn noise and it hated me. But it had character and I couldnt leave it behind in a situation like that.... Especially my dog though.... Shes family and I dont leave family behind.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cpress/20050910/ca_pr_on_na/katrina_cda_aid_animals on another note. People are helping.
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

Silver R/T

Quote from: Charger4404spd on September 11, 2005, 12:30:23 PM
What is more important a life of a human or the life of a dog?

Depends on who the human is! Id rather save a dog as one of the poeple shooting at rescuers and helicopters.
I have seen numerous boats on the news empty, just riding around like they were on a Saturday night cruise. Would it hurt to save a few of the animals on rooftops, tied up on front porches with no food or water?

Sure, if I had to decide between saving someone or an animal, there wouldnt be anyting to think about. There are plenty of rescue boats in the area to save everyone and the animals, its just a matter of rescue management, which I haven't seen yet. The 'rescue' of that area has been a total disaster.

I agree, I would rescue dog before some of the "humans" I know
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

emily

The Humane Society of North America has been down there rescuing all kinds of pets, from snakes and turtles and parakeets to horses, cows, dogs and cats.   Everything living they can find, caring for them, and relocating as many as possible in hopes of reuniting them with their owners.   Michigan has sent a group of vets and equipment from the School of Veterinary Medicine at Michigan State University, and several local rescue organizations have stepped up with medical supplies, food, workers and money.  

Good work by good folks.   :)

NHCharger

It was hard to watch some of the video of the pets being left behind. But most of these people who were being rescued were probably being brought to the Superdome or one of the over crowded waiting areas that had no running water or even portable toilets. Could you imagine adding a few hundred dogs and cats into that mess?
Several years ago the state of LA had a mock drill about evacuating New Orleans, it was a complete disaster and nothing was done to improve the evacuation procedure since then. If they had it's possible that many of these heartbreaking scenes could have been avoided.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Charger Aficionado

The Darwin Awards this year will be FULL of "Brainiac" contestants...  (Survival of the fittest)...

TruckDriver

Not including my Mom & step-Dad, I have no family other then my 2 boys. When my boys were in florida for the 3 month summer break, my 4 cats were my only family I had. And for the comfert & humor they give me, I could never leave them because they are just as much family to me as my boys. And like Charger4404spd said "Id rather save a dog as one of the poeple shooting at rescuers and helicopters." Or any pet for that matter.... well, maybe not if there a spider :-\
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Afflyer

Our two loveable and energenic Boxers went with me when Hurricane Dennis came to the Florida panhandle.  Most every hotel I contacted east of my house said they would take the pets for an additional deposit.  No problem.  Our Boxers are members of our family too.

Bradley  :icon_smile_approve:
Retired USAF C-130H3, C-130E, MC-130E, MC-130W Flight Engineer

1969 Charger 440/4bbl "Hemi Orange Mistress"
2009 Hemi Ram 1500 Sport Special Crew Cab "Black Betty"
2011 BMW X5 3.5i "Heidi"

bull

If the people would have left when they were supposed to they wouldn't have been forced into such a bad situation.

Lowprofile

We, as Humans, are supposed to take care of our Families & our friends, even the non human ones. I know that I will be writing my elected officials at all levels how truly upset my Wife & I about the way the animals were treated by "some" of the rescuers. For god's sake, they could have, at the very least, gotten the dogs/cats off the roofs and gotten them to dry ground....at least they would have a chance to survive until ASPCA or some animal care group could have helped them. Very Sad. :icon_smile_sad:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

bull

Interesting point you bring up, Lowprofile. I think that Washington Post reporter should have asked where the animal rights groups were hiding before, during and after the hurricane. The Red Cross is not equipped to deal with rescued animals, and why should it be required to "coordinate" its efforts with animals rights groups when the so-called animal rights people just sit around playing arm chair quarterback? Maybe the fine folks at PETA could have put their protest signs down long enough to motor out there with a few rescue boats instead of just creating havoc at the nearest circus or rodeo. Maybe PETA could have used some of its millions to implement its alleged creed of treating animals with good ethics rather than cheer while misguided reporters point fingers at the people who were out there actually helping.

It's another example of knee-jerk finger-pointing. Just like the mayor of New Orleans blaming FEMA for not providing Greyhound buses to rescue the people in the Superdome when he had access to several hundred school buses nearby. Or blaming FEMA for not coming to the rescue quickly enough and overlooking the fact that the governor had not declared a state of emergency so FEMA had the legal right to do so. It's pretty pathetic how so many groups and individuals are so quick to place blame on others who actually did help when they themselves did nothing but bitch.

Drop Top

:iagree: Very well put Bull.

Todd;
I'm very sorry you feel that way. I saved my dog from an abuser. It took me a full year to get her to trust me enough to even touch her. She was riddled with mange and had very little hair when I got her. I have had her 3 years now and she is still very hesitant to let me touch her in the hip area, and I still have a hard time grooming her because of her abuse. Like I said before I love my dog very much. She goes everywear with me. If I where to hear of a disaster coming my way and had adequit time. The dog would not be left behind. I would take responsability for my animal(s) and make sure she was taken care of as these people should have done. Many of those animals where put in that position because their owners did not head the warnings. Then it became to late for them to leave. I feel very sorry for the animals but if they would have left when they where supposed to, they would not be in that situation. The owners of those pets need to be evaluated not the rescuers. Having any animal is about responsibility and the responsibility is making sure they are alright and not relying on someone else to do it for you.

The ones that left in time took their animals with them and had no problems keeping their family together. Because they used their head and did not rely on the government to get them out of a bind. If more people would have headed the warnings there would be less animals to be worried about.

I agree the people that where shooting at the rescuers should have been shot on sight. But what dose that have to do with saving a dog? Those people are lower then any form of life. Evan a spider.

Drop Top

It just accrued to me. Lets all learn from this tragedy and next time when this happens. Lets leave all the little children and elderly to fend for themselves and save all the animals because they don't know any better. The other people. Well, lets just shoot them all because some of them are no good anyway and aren't as important as a dog. I wonder how that would go over?

Lowprofile

Bull, you are absolutely right about PETA. Where the F$%# were they when the chips were down?? Probably throwing paint at some rich woman who wears fur coats , or something stupid like that. I know that ASPCA people[from what I've read] have been on the job for the animals. Thats why my wife & I donate cash to them every year, Good people who care, Just like the RedCross & The Salvation Army. I believe we , as Americans, have learned a most valuable lesson thru this whole debacle, something that was taught to me at a very young age....Depend on no one but yourself & always be prepared.[as best you can]

As far as the state of Louisiana and it's crooked & corrupt state and local govt officials are concerned, Let's just say that the chickens have finally come home to roost. To say that the mayor was a bit overwhelmed by the situation, is well, a understatement. The Governor, on the other hand, is a complete moron, who will be lucky she doesn't have to spend time in jail after some of the things she let happen on her watch. And once again, the poor folks, those with no way to escape, loose their homes, their belongings, and for some, their lives, just because they believed & depended on their govt officials to help them in their time of need.

We, as Americans, must always remember that we are "Our Brothers Keeper"

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger

TheGhost

If I couldn't take Shadow with me, I'd have stayed behind, too.  This no pets bullshit is just that.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

emily

You're correct, the ASPCA has been on the scene rescuing animals of all kinds for some time now.  The Michigan Humane Society has left New Orleans today with lots of animals to bring back for rehab and adoption here.  Texas has done the same thing.  It is a huge, concerted effort to relocate ownerless pets and farm animals.  Michigan State University's School of Veterinary Medicine is sending a team of vets, vet students, volunteers and medical equipment and supplies down there on Monday.  I've collected donations and medical supplies in our World Relief warehouse for them to use and will deliver it tonight to aid the effort.  We're all doing as much as we can.

I agree on the PETA issue.  They should be out front lending a hand or two.

I have also seen some folks that refused to leave because they weren't allowed to bring their animals along.  I wouldn't abandon mine either.  Just our personal choices and priorities.  To each his or her own.  No right or wrong for any of us to criticize.

As for the FEMA comments....  I find it interesting that some of the residents of the area said that the first rescuerers they saw were the Canadian Mounties.  How sad is that, Mr. Bush?

Just my 2 cents

em

CFMopar

Well I'm sure whatever reasons the relief got delayed for will be sorted out. Everyone well have their opinion on it but only a few will know what happened and they well have to live with it. I dint except to much in the way details about that. Besides we weren't first there I'm pretty sure and even the US cant get to everyone at once....

Hey besides even the little brother has to help out the bigger brother sometimes.  :icon_smile_big:
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

Lowprofile

The First Rescuers on the scene[besides N.O. Police & Fire] Were the US Coast Guard. :patriot:

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger

emily

Saw on the news last evening that some private vets from this area just got back with 32 animals running wild as a result of the hurricaine.   They took as many as they could, said it was sad to see animals running loose, getting hit by cars, starving, dehydrated, eating each other and dead humans.   Some of the vets were so shook up and sad about the conditions down there for the animals they couldn't talk about it to the reporters.  Everyone was exhausted physically and emotionally.  But once these pets get vaccinated and treated medically they will be up for adoption.

Looks like everyone is trying as hard as possible.  

These folks will be returning asap to pick up more, all at their own expense, trying to do the right thing.

Got to love it.

emily