News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone see Grindhouse? Who would win, Challenger vs Charger Holy ****!

Started by AmadeusCharger500, April 06, 2007, 11:24:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmadeusCharger500

Oh man.

crazy crazy crazy.

Tarantino is crazy.

After pulling out my hair thinking the girl would be impaled on a beautiful challenger, the wife told me to relax and enjoy the cars.

Harlow

I saw it tonight, its hard to describe. I would say definitely shell out the 7 bucks to see it in theaters. It was cool to see some of the most legendary holly wood mopars duel it out on screen! What did you think of the "Thanks Giving" trailer during the intermission  :eek:

69charger2002

i liked it as well. anyone else have the previews where nicholas cage is tearing up a NEW charger? thank god, one less of those now..  :D

i mean i understand people's frustration with hollywood and wrecking old mopars, but let's face it, what's done is done, the movie was cool, car scenes were good. they made old school references to dirty mary and vanishing point that made me get chills. what can i say i like seeing mopars on screen
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

SeattleCharger

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

41husk

I saw it last night, very intertaining.  Did you notice the challenger they looked at was in great shape the one they tore up was a beater, that made me feel better.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

69bananabeast

1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318
1932 Ford Rat Rod   (under construction)

TripleBlackGator

Garbage! 3 1/2 hours of my life I'll never get back. I was severely disappointed in these directors. Both of whom I have enjoyed before. PLANET TERROR went on way too long. I couldn't wait for it to end so I could see the Mopars. Turns out I could have easily waited. What we get to see is Tarantino making love to his word processor. He tried to recreate the GREAT scene from RESERVOIR DOGS in a coffee shop where men talk like, well, men. This time it's with women who think they are men and about as attractive. It's OK to edit this scene Quentin. The officials from Guinness book of World Records fell asleep long before your contribution to this mess of a film. I keep thinking Tarantino has a back end deal that somehow ties into the amount of times his characters say the word F***.

SPOILER ALERT!!! Now how about them Mopars? Big whoop! Mopars are again TRULY wasted. I was into seeing the Challenger and Charger trade jabs on the highway until Stuntman Mike gave up the chase without reason only to get shot by some chick. He then turns tail and runs from the chicks in his mean(?) black Charger. This chase scene goes on way too long while Tarantino cashes in some more from the bitches using the F*** word as a noun, verb, adjective etc. What do we get for loitering, half asleep in the dark for over 3 hours? We get to watch Stuntman Mike cry and wail and plead after having his ass handed to him by a bunch of chicks who then use him as a punching bag over and over again. What Bullitt and the Fast and the Furious did for bringing badass qualities to the Dodge Charger this film effectively castrates. According to Quentin if you drive a Charger your a cry baby pussy.

Yes I know they are paying homage to drive-in fare we all saw while growing up. But in doing so they made the actual films look like Oscar material.
Malicious, vindictive, spiteful, cynical, pessimistic, sarcastic, & antagonistic. And those are my good traits!

69charger2002

can't argue with some of those points tripleblackgator, you hit it on the head. the first movie all i could think about was the mopars. and while i enjoyed the second movie, i have to agree they almost made the challenger the kick ass car, even the nova, but the charger as if it couldn't get away from a 440 challenger.. what did kurt use in that one a 318??? GEEZ. lastly. you couldn't be more right about the F bomb. i noticed that right off. there is no doubt if someone had the time to count them it would be over 300 times
could have done without that..
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

bull

Quote from: TripleBlackGator on April 07, 2007, 05:43:06 PM
Garbage! 3 1/2 hours of my life I'll never get back. 

Dude, you've been pissed off about Grindhouse for at least the 30 days prior to its release. Is it safe to assume you had a negative bias going in?

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

TripleBlackGator

Quote from: bull on April 07, 2007, 07:37:12 PM

Dude, you've been pissed off about Grindhouse for at least the 30 days prior to its release. Is it safe to assume you had a negative bias going in?

Not really. I have been a fan of Quentin Tarantino's and Robert Rodriguez ever since RESERVOIR DOGS and EL MARIACHI among others. In fact, I didn't know about a Charger or a Challenger being in the movie until I read it in this forum. The previews I saw in theaters only showed a Nova. I wanted to see it based on the directors long before I was aware some Mopars were in it. Besides, if I felt THAT NEGATIVE I never would have seen it in the first place. I was hoping I would enjoy it but I would be lying to myself if I said it was as good as their other work.

Have you seen it? 
Malicious, vindictive, spiteful, cynical, pessimistic, sarcastic, & antagonistic. And those are my good traits!

Charger_Fan

There aren't many Tarentino films I've actually enjoyed & none to the point where I've bought a copy...and I own a LOT of movies.
My brain just doesn't click with his type of flick, is all. I enjoy a good F-bomb just as much as the next guy, but when they feel they have to blurt out an F-bomb every third word, through the entire movie, it just gets tiresome by the end. Does that mean I'm getting old? :-\
The first movie I can recall feeling that way was "Chasing Amy". That movie was exhausting.

I have been planning on seeing this one sometime, I'll probably just rent it.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

bull

Quote from: TripleBlackGator on April 07, 2007, 07:59:52 PM
Quote from: bull on April 07, 2007, 07:37:12 PM

Not really. I have been a fan of Quentin Tarantino's and Robert Rodriguez ever since RESERVOIR DOGS and EL MARIACHI among others. In fact, I didn't know about a Charger or a Challenger being in the movie until I read it in this forum. The previews I saw in theaters only showed a Nova. I wanted to see it based on the directors long before I was aware some Mopars were in it. Besides, if I felt THAT NEGATIVE I never would have seen it in the first place. I was hoping I would enjoy it but I would be lying to myself if I said it was as good as their other work.

Have you seen it? 

Not yet. My F-bomb quota has been filled for this week because I watched 'The Departed' on Thursday night. That and my pop-a-guy-in-the-head-from-short-range quota. I feel like I need to take a couple showers a day and watch a 4 or 5 Disney movies now.

SeattleCharger

Tripleblackgator, I can relate to a lot of what you wrote.  I was dissapointed by the challenger/charger movie.  Stuntmanmike started out as a cool character, then it takes a big turn, which was intense, but then the rest of the movie is these chicks blabbing and blabbing on and on, some of it was entertaining and funny, but by the time the car battle was going for a while, I was very sick of them.   What they did with stuntmanmikes character was dissapointing, they could have gone a hundred different way better ways with the plot and characters and cars, what the heck was THAT?!!   First movie ended up being better than I thought, second one, well, hoping for much better,  I will say, my expectations were very high, maybe that was why let down, because overall the movies were mostly non stop action, cept for the girl endless talking scenes in part 2, was part 2 a chick flick?  at least they made mopars popular with girls sort of, I guess this is good.  The brunette chick in part 1 is way hot, and then she's platinum in part 2, sweet.
  Go see movie "300" while its in theaters.       

SeattleCharger

I gotta say that overall the movie was very entertaining and good, just could have made the girls and charger part different and stuntmanmike turn out different, but still a cool movie, nothing like it.  I would still recommend going and seeing the film, it is entertaining and lots of action. 

70charger_boy

Garbage! 3 1/2 hours of my life I'll never get back. I was severely disappointed in these directors. Both of whom I have enjoyed before. PLANET TERROR went on way too long. I couldn't wait for it to end so I could see the Mopars. Turns out I could have easily waited. What we get to see is Tarantino making love to his word processor. He tried to recreate the GREAT scene from RESERVOIR DOGS in a coffee shop where men talk like, well, men. This time it's with women who think they are men and about as attractive. It's OK to edit this scene Quentin. The officials from Guinness book of World Records fell asleep long before your contribution to this mess of a film. I keep thinking Tarantino has a back end deal that somehow ties into the amount of times his characters say the word F***.

SPOILER ALERT!!! Now how about them Mopars? Big whoop! Mopars are again TRULY wasted. I was into seeing the Challenger and Charger trade jabs on the highway until Stuntman Mike gave up the chase without reason only to get shot by some chick. He then turns tail and runs from the chicks in his mean(?) black Charger. This chase scene goes on way too long while Tarantino cashes in some more from the bitches using the F*** word as a noun, verb, adjective etc. What do we get for loitering, half asleep in the dark for over 3 hours? We get to watch Stuntman Mike cry and wail and plead after having his ass handed to him by a bunch of chicks who then use him as a punching bag over and over again. What Bullitt and the Fast and the Furious did for bringing badass qualities to the Dodge Charger this film effectively castrates. According to Quentin if you drive a Charger your a cry baby pussy.

Yes I know they are paying homage to drive-in fare we all saw while growing up. But in doing so they made the actual films look like Oscar material.

Did you know that Rose Mcgowan is banging Robert Rodriques?

Magnumcharger

I saw the movie last night, in fact, I took my wife and kids to it.
We ALL enjoyed it immensely!
It's typically B-movie schlock, and about as campy as all get out. I loved the "missing reels" gag, and the references to Vanishing point, Dirty Mary Crazy Larry et al.
I even enjoyed the fake trailers for "Hobo with a shotgun", "Thanksgiving", "don't", "Nazi Were-wolf", and "Machete".
Made my Easter weekend!
Matter of fact....I highly recommend it!
And if that bombshell chick is boning the director, well, he's a lucky man!
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Mike DC

Rodriguez & Tarantino are already kicking around the idea of a full-blown "Machete" movie now.

TripleBlackGator

TripleBlackGator

Quote from: Magnumcharger on April 08, 2007, 11:03:30 PM
I saw the movie last night, in fact, I took my wife and kids to it.
We ALL enjoyed it immensely!
It's typically B-movie schlock, and about as campy as all get out. I loved the "missing reels" gag, and the references to Vanishing point, Dirty Mary Crazy Larry et al.
I even enjoyed the fake trailers for "Hobo with a shotgun", "Thanksgiving", "don't", "Nazi Were-wolf", and "Machete".
Made my Easter weekend!
Matter of fact....I highly recommend it!
And if that bombshell chick is boning the director, well, he's a lucky man!

SeattleCharger

TripleBlackGator

We'll have to wait and find out. Personally I wouldn't take my pre-17 kid to see this movie. Would you?

THE CHARGER PUNK

Saw it and am severely dissapointed by the outcome, :EDIT: chase was cool to see the 2 dodges smashin around came home directly after an am making a replica of it in the 1/24th scale as we speak i even have 1 of the owners of 1 of the chargers sending me pics of it inside and out :yesnod:kurt russels character didnt have 2 end like that :rotz: also anyone else wonder  ???wtf door frames were doing on the challengers doors ??? so they could strap belts around them? ???

SeattleCharger

he's bs'in ya all, it doesn't go down like that at all.  heh, that is funny charger punk

I have to say, they could have had stuntmanmike be a lot cooler, at first he is a great character, should have made him help the girls more, his character sort of went in a weird way I wasn't expecting,  liked the charger a lot better before it got a little damage done to it, ya, I agree though, what was Tarentino thinking?  I hope his career is over.  for good.   from a charger fan perspective, this all was not so great, could have made it different, but overall the movies were entertaining, if you can get past what is done to charger and stuntmanmike,   movies are still ok, but tarentino is an idiot

Mike DC

I think it was the "nature of the beast" to some extent.  Tarantino & Rodriguez were imitating absolute schlock so it's not surprising they made their shows/characters crappy too.  And it's risky to do that in a pair of movies so expensive.  I give them a few points just for trying it, whether we all ended up liking the results or not.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We also don't have the hindsight of seeing what the "Grindhouse" movies might have felt like if T&R had actually tried to make the shows a little less crappy-feeling, either. 

I mean, the "Gone in 60 Seconds" remake was an attempt doing that:  Making a modern 70s B-movie that felt reminiscent of the old cheap 70s' drive-in shows, but make it cleaned-up & modern enough not to leave such bitter aftertaste.  The end result of the "Gone" remake was less annoying to watch from minute-to-minute than some of the scenes in "Grindhouse," but overall the whole thing just ended up feeling really watered-down and forgettable.  Whereas "Grindhouse" feels a lot more memorable & uncompromising even with the flaws.

AmadeusCharger500

In my view, the movie had a definite intentional progression.

Started with a badass Chevy. I was thinking thats cool but so very typical. And then the women show up later in a nice old mustang. Once again I think thats cool but oh so typical.
Then we get the hint that some real bad cars are coming on the scene 1st suprise is the challenger, (and a woman wants this car?) Thats awesome.
Then the real star, Charger.
The pinnacle of the movie was MOPAR not mustang/camaro/firebird blah blah.

As to the stuntman Bob character. Didn't he kinda get what he deserved. Wasn't he just a sick bastard.

And isn't it kinda great to portray woman as being somewhat able to kick ass and also having them act a little kooky about one of the cars most of us love, and have them show the coolest cars on earth dueling. Who cares which one wins.

I would say the movie was really about the love of those 2 cars at the end, and the sick silly and whatever people talking throughout were just supporting characters.

BB1

Delete my profile

TripleBlackGator

Quote from: BB1 on April 10, 2007, 06:49:32 PM
That flick was Fucking awesome!!!  :2guns: :smoke:

No one told me we could use the "F" word. My posts would have been so much cooler had I known.  :D

SeattleCharger

Quote from: TripleBlackGator on April 10, 2007, 07:27:48 PM
Quote from: BB1 on April 10, 2007, 06:49:32 PM
That flick was Fucking awesome!!!  :2guns: :smoke:

No one told me we could use the "F" word. My posts would have been so much cooler had I known.  :D

Probably a good way to get a thread friggin locked though.

Crazy Larry

There is a reason why this movie lost around $60-65 million dollars for the idiot Weinsteins.....

Both of these movies could have been taken down by 45 minutes a piece and still would have worked - if not worked better. This is not the 90's anymore - pointless conversations and self-gloating appearances by the filmmaker aren't cool anymore - they are stale and waste time. and thats just what this movie(s) are.

Totally agree with Gator, the Charger's balls are cut off, and that much ramming by a challenger would have the radiator dry and steaming - ridiculous.

I downloaded a DVD copy of the film, because I wasn't about to let tarantino and Rodriguez and their egos trap me and $9 in a darkened theater for 3+ hours....and boy am I glad I did just that.

I was able to get some bills and paperwork done during Planet terror - and my laundry done during Death Proof.....and I still had to fast forward through the endless minutes of crap dialogue and women trying to be men.........

Note to Tarantino - James Cameron did the hero woman thing better (Terminator 2, Aliens) and the women were far more attractive while doing it.

Poor film, but worth seeing the cars at the end.

Crazy Larry

...just thinking about it....and another question arose.....

Could this movie be the most insulting movie ever to Mopar owners/operators.......

Like Gator pointed out, Tarantino turns the Charger and its driver into a sniveling, crying wuss who gets out driven, out-terrorized, and pounded by a few chicks......

...but ALSO....Tarantino takes what used to by a pure symbol of masculinity - the white Vanishing Point Charger, driven by the classic Barry "Kowalski" Newman - and he turns it into the symbol of feminine revenge...basically making it a chick car in one shot......

Thankfully, this movie hasn't been seen by many and will never be remembered by them either - Vanishing Point will still be around in 30 years, but this movie will be collecting dust on some shelf.

warriorbass05

Quote from: Crazy Larry on August 04, 2007, 03:28:07 AM
...just thinking about it....and another question arose.....

Could this movie be the most insulting movie ever to Mopar owners/operators.......

Like Gator pointed out, Tarantino turns the Charger and its driver into a sniveling, crying wuss who gets out driven, out-terrorized, and pounded by a few chicks......

...but ALSO....Tarantino takes what used to by a pure symbol of masculinity - the white Vanishing Point Charger, driven by the classic Barry "Kowalski" Newman - and he turns it into the symbol of feminine revenge...basically making it a chick car in one shot......

Thankfully, this movie hasn't been seen by many and will never be remembered by them either - Vanishing Point will still be around in 30 years, but this movie will be collecting dust on some shelf.

I think I will continue to forget about it and Watch my Dukes of Hazzard DVDs.....cool mopars and CLEAN!!!!!!  in the language department for 99.9% of it....

JR

You know if no one buys the dvd then they won't be so eager to make a sequel and wreck any more cars. I didn't see it in theaters for this reason. Since it bombed maybe there wont be a Deathproof 2. God I hope not. I watched 3 minuites of the Charger/Challenger chase on youtube and that's the first chase I ever got bored watching. Much less with 2 Mopars in it.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green