News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

messed up 383...

Started by ScottMH, July 13, 2007, 03:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottMH

we recently bought a 73 cuda with a earlier model 383 and a shaker hood...it has a edelbrock intake and carb. we have a couple problems with this car...

-we ran the car out of gas and now we cant get it to feed fuel into the engine. we have tried pouring gas in the carb but that only makes it run for a second or two then dies...bad fuel pump maybe?

-the edelbrock performer 383 intake manafold doesnt seem to cover the whole intake on the block...i dont know how to explain so here are some pictures..the half covered holes about midway the intake

also, i am prolly gunna run a new gas tank and all new fuel lines...should i use the 3/8in line if i plan to stroke the 383 out to the 450 - 496 range?

Charger1973

I think the half covered holes are normal.  I could be wrong but I am pretty sure.  I'll be installing mine next week.  I dont think theres anything wrong with yours. 

My car had the same symptoms when I got it, it was a bad fuel pump.

ScottMH

what is the most compression you can run on 93 octane gas in a 383?

my altitue is -15feet haha if that matters

firefighter3931

Quote from: ScottMH on July 14, 2007, 05:34:08 PM
what is the most compression you can run on 93 octane gas in a 383?

my altitue is -15feet haha if that matters

Lots of different factors can influence pump gas compatability.....static compression, dynamic compression, timing, jetting, engine temps etc...

Generally speaking 9.5:1 is in the safe zone....beyond that it's a crap shoot.  :P

Fwiw, your intake manifold fitment is correct....the top holes on the heat crossovers are left exposed.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Chryco Psycho

I would check the fuel pump pushrod for wear & check the cam lobe as well 

deputycrawford

The biggest problem is the fuel pump push rod. The original is a soft shaft will will be eaten quickly with a high volume fuel pump. Summit and others sell a hardened shaft for you application. Put one in and you will fix your problem.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.