News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

to blast or not to blast?

Started by tkkruzer, April 06, 2007, 03:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tkkruzer

has anybody sand blasted there car body and what media did you use. I know dipping the whole body in a solution is the best way but 3500 bucks is tough to convince my wife its nessecary . my car wil need some sort of stripping done to it, so any info will be great. :icon_smile_cool: thnx TK

bricklayer

I media blasted with plastic  cost $1000  tom

Silver R/T

Soda blast it. Should be anywhere from $1000-$1500
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

BlueSS454

I had mine sandblasted because I had serious rust issues.  I had the body inside and out, upside and down, fenders, doors, and grille support, total cost $750.  No hood or trunk lid.
Tom Rightler

AutoRust

We do a lot of sandblast here. I try to just do the bottom of the car, I am not a fan of sandblasting body panels, to much heat created, can warp big panels.  If you really need the body cleaned down to bare metal, and dont have the budget, D/A as much as you can, then send it out, have them media blast the areas on the body you cant do.
We use a local guy for media blasting, charges between $600- 900 to do an entire outer shell.
Good luck with your project.
:yesnod:
Nothing to see here folks, its just a Bluesmobile

tkkruzer

thanx guys, I haven't found anybody who will sand blast with anything but sand here in the little rock,ar. area. ive done some blasting of small pieces but not the whole body. where did you get your media from? eastwood? thanx TKĀ  :icon_smile_cool:

bull

Dipping a car is not necessarily the best way to go at all. If not done right it can eat your car from the inside out.

Paul 500

If you get the car sand blasted have a look at some of the other things that company has blasted, as my friend had the only 71 GTX in England blasted & when he got it back there wasnt much left of it as they used a too course grit + high pressure.
When you sand blast large panels they can distort, I would go for media blasting as they dont & BULL is right about dipping.
68 Charger R/T
69 Charger 500

Doright

Steve's whole sale in Tulsa sells Pressure pots and good air compressors and has a line on Aluminum oxide, there prices aren't bad either.
Do small areas at a time avoid doing the hood, fenders, doors skins, and whole quarter panel skins as the panels can over heat as already said which will lead to warped panels which are harder too straighten than you think, and often are trashed. Just use a reg ol orbital sander on these areas.
Just blast areas of Rust take your time cover blasted areas with etching primer as soon as you can.
That area you live in is Hi in humidity and moisture try painting when humidity is low and moisture is low.

Doright
A&P FCC 
I play with cars because Jets are way too serious to be fun any more
I have so many car projects that cars are beginning to be no fun any more

tkkruzer

does steve's wholesale have a web site? :icon_smile_question:

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?