News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Surface Rust OSPHO and Rustbullit

Started by Doright, April 05, 2007, 01:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doright

OK guy's need your opinions on how I plan to attack my surface rust this will include interior and undercarage and exterior panels

1st. Strip paint and surface rust using sanding and or blasting with aluminum oxide and glass bead depending on areas and then treat metal with Ospho followed by a Rust bullet this would be for areas of the interior of the car and under side of the car, areas of the Roof, floor and trunk.
Car was undercoated from factory and were its still on good with no signs of distress it will be left alone and not removed, but will be cleaned with steam/hi pressure hot water soap solution and water, if any of it comes off in areas only those areas will be prepped as above and then the whole underside will be re coated with a new coat of undercoating.

2nd. All exterior panels would be sanded with regular orbital sander not blasted except in areas were basting is necessary such as roofline were the factory spot welded the roof panels together and used bondo to fill and it cracked and fell out and has started to rust its kinda deep and will require blasting to clean those areas then treat those areas with Ospho and then a good self etching Epoxy primer or should I go ahead with the rust bullet and then use etching primer over that?
The car is a full Vinyl top car and it will be getting another full Vinyl top again.

3rd. All rust that is a hole will be cut out and new metal welded in welds ground down treated with Ospho and sealed with self etching primer. 

4th. All suspension pieces will be blasted and either Painted, Powdercoated, or plated.
5th. Put it all back together and drive the heck out of it!

http://www.ospho.com/

http://www.rustbullet.com/Products/Automotive/Automotive.htm

I would love to go this route but I am not rich
http://www.stripcleanco.com/

Doright
A&P FCC 
I play with cars because Jets are way too serious to be fun any more
I have so many car projects that cars are beginning to be no fun any more

400/6/PAC

Sounds to me like you have a plan.
Not sure what advise you need.
I can tell you that POR15 has some good products.
MARINE-CLEAN AND METAL-READY.
Its a deep cleaning agent and metal etching solution that will eradacate any rust that you cant sand out.

Doright

I mainly concerned with the compatability of using the Rust Bullet over metal already treated mild sand blasting and then treating it with Ospho, I contacted the Makers of Rust Bullet they said just apply it directly over light rust or scape bad rust of with wire brush and aplie it, But I want too remove all rust mechanically and too treat the metal with the Ospho which changes rust into a Iron phosphate? then aplie the Rust bullet for added protection and an over all cleaner appearance.
They or he an engineer for Rust bullet wouldn't say I could or couldn't. But wanted me too just paint over the rust, I want a clean aperance to the metal when its done.

The Makers of Ospho claim their products to be compatable with all Epoxy based paints and Rust Bullet is an Epoxy base sooo??????
Doright
A&P FCC 
I play with cars because Jets are way too serious to be fun any more
I have so many car projects that cars are beginning to be no fun any more