News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

"The Deadliest Catch" on Discovery, Anyone else here watch it?

Started by TruckDriver, April 04, 2007, 12:08:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TruckDriver

I'm curious if anyone else here watches the show. I got hooked (no pun intended) on the show with the last season. Still going through the first season. You couldn't pay me enough to do what they do. And, for the second time in two years, they had a ship sink :rotz: Unbelievable!

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

69bronzeT5

The first episode I saw was the one where the boat sinks. Ive been hooked ever since.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Drache

I was offered a job on one of those types of ships and I politely refused saying my will wasn't in order that well....  :icon_smile_big:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Forza

Yea I watch the show too, hooked after the first episode. Takes a different breed of person to do that job.

6pkrunner

Watched it every week for a while and for no real reason now just watch it if it happens to be on. It is a great show - vastly better than those dreaded sitcoms.

Mefirst

Those guys got BIG Balls ! I would never go out on a "cruise" like that...

AKcharger

When my wife (Moparsuebear) worked at the Anchorage Chamber of Commerce she could always tell when that show was on because they'd get all kinds of calls about people wanting to come to Alaska to earn $40K for 4 months work. Some people would even make it to Anchorage only to discover they needed to go Dutch Harbour about 900 miles away!

They really do make a ton of money but they EARN it...they don;t pay that much out of the kindness of their hearts

BrianShaughnessy

I have watched all of these shows and I don't even like seafood.   But it's good entertainment.   I'm amazed how much crap these guys take for that $$$.   

I appreciate what I got more after watching it.   Like Letterman says...   inside work,  good pay,  no heavy lifting.       Eh - 1 outta 3 ain't bad   :P
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Afflyer

My wife watches it more than I do, but when I'm able to watch, it is pretty riviting.

I can't belive the SIZE of those HUGE king crabs that they pull from the pots- did I hear one of those deckhands say "that's a fifty five pounder right there!"  ???

I didn't know they could get so big!  How come I never see THOSE at Red Lobster?!

Bradley  :devil:
Retired USAF C-130H3, C-130E, MC-130E, MC-130W Flight Engineer

1969 Charger 440/4bbl "Hemi Orange Mistress"
2009 Hemi Ram 1500 Sport Special Crew Cab "Black Betty"
2011 BMW X5 3.5i "Heidi"

ck1

I have a friend who has been doing it ever since graduating High School.....1986 I think and I think know he is either driving the boat or one man down from that running the crew...........haven't seen him in about 5 years, was on either if I can remember right it was either the North Star or Sea Star something like that he was on.  He was so dam smart in School he could have been anything, we use to tees him for reading a 1000 page book at school in one day on the school bus and in about 1995 he was telling us he make 3 time more then his father dose now if I remember right...........his Father is a doctor :D
CJK

Back N Black

I was a Crab fisherman for 2 seasons not quite as intense as that but it was not for me. So i found a less dangerous job i joined the Military that was 17 years ago.(where does the time go.)

Lowprofile

My wife & I watch it all the time! Great Show. Ya gotta have a lotta heart & be a bit crazy to do a job like that! :yesnod: :icon_smile_wink:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

TruckDriver

My favorite vessel crews are the NORTHWESTERN the CORNELIA MARIE. Kinda funny that the captain Phil's younger son weighs 120 pounds, and the shot lines weight more then he does. He has to be sore after a day of work :P

This doesn't looks good :-X    I guess a few guys get hurt this year.

PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

472 R/T SE

I watched a season's worth of episode's when I was in the hospital.  I agree, them boyz gots some ballz.

I used to climb crane jib on the big hydraulic crane I used to be on w/o any safety equipment  :eyes: up 3 stories or so but could never do what they're doing.

400/6/PAC

I heard an interview on the radio this morning with one of the Captain's.
He is 26, the youngest Captain out there.
He said there is a 100% chance of getting hurt but some of the deck hands bring home 150K for two weeks.
I love that show, but as far as I'm concerned they can keep the money.

TruckDriver

Quote from: 400/6/PAC on April 04, 2007, 04:36:55 PM
I heard an interview on the radio this morning with one of the Captain's.
He is 26, the youngest Captain out there.
He said there is a 100% chance of getting hurt but some of the deck hands bring home 150K for two weeks.
I love that show, but as far as I'm concerned they can keep the money.

Ya, you heard the new captain of the Maverick. This is his first year as a captain too. It was promised to him last year by the husband and wife team that ran it.
PETE

cheap

:icon_smile_big: We watch it every week,,this is what a reality show should be...I have a greater appreciation for the lobster we eat now...

TruckDriver

Quote from: cheap on April 04, 2007, 07:23:52 PM
:icon_smile_big: We watch it every week,,this is what a reality show should be...I have a greater appreciation for the lobster we eat now...
:iagree:

Like captian Phil says, "this is the real deal, and people really die".
PETE

newportrider

I have watched the show from the first season, loved it!  Only problem in Canada we don't get to see the same season as the US :RantExplode:, but those guys have a tough job.  I fished lobsters on the east coast for 8 years and still try to go out on weekends, love the ocean, it's something you can't explain.

ck1

i don't think Lobster catching is as dangerous as what these guys are doing, its the king crab and the ruff ocean were they live in but could be wrong.
CJK

TruckDriver

If anyone missed the first show of season 3 (curent season), it is on again tonight at 9pm central time zone, 10pm eastern. The 2 prior hours to the beginning of season 3, is the "Best of season two". It is on at 8pm eastern.

9:00pm - 10:00pm, DSC
Deadliest Catch : "A Tragic Beginning"
Eighty-one fishing vessels return to Dutch Harbor, Alaska, to start the 2006 red king crab season.

TVPG (CC)
PETE

70charginglizard

Quote from: Wi. Charger Guy on April 04, 2007, 01:23:15 PM
My favorite vessel crews are the NORTHWESTERN the CORNELIA MARIE. Kinda funny that the captain Phil's younger son weighs 120 pounds, and the shot lines weight more then he does. He has to be sore after a day of work :P

This doesn't looks good :-X    I guess a few guys get hurt this year.

Ewww.  :puke:
70charginglizard

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: ck1 on April 04, 2007, 11:07:32 PM
i don't think Lobster catching is as dangerous as what these guys are doing, its the king crab and the ruff ocean were they live in but could be wrong.

They ran a show on the lobster guys from New England last year.   Not quite the same.  Smaller boats, small traps.   But I don't think I'd want that job either.   
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

ck1

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on April 05, 2007, 04:43:14 PM
Quote from: ck1 on April 04, 2007, 11:07:32 PM

They ran a show on the lobster guys from New England last year.   Not quite the same.  Smaller boats, small traps.   But I don't think I'd want that job either.   
I think thats Maine lobster, which is a cold water lobster, they have big claws and smell really fishy, I don't like those, the good ones are the warm water lobsters that have no claws and taste way better in my opinion :yesnod:
CJK

Fitz73Chrgr

I watch it when I'm flipping channels and its on.  You most definately have to be a hardass to do that job.  I don't know if I could do it.
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

h76

Hell of lot better show than some that crap reality shows they have on Bravo TV or American Idol.Talk about guys earning their $-those fisherman bust their a**!
Discovery Channel and National Geographic by far have the best reality shows!

TK73

Can we put Silver R/T on one of those boats for a few decades??  PLEASE!!
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

TruckDriver

PETE

Drache

I was offered up to $40,000 a month but I said no thanks. My life insurance wont cover me working on a crab boat...
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

TruckDriver

PETE

68isgr8

I like watching the show, after seeing what the men go through-I can understand why king crab is so expensive. I have great respect for the fishermen. Not too long ago my husband and I took a trip to Seattle. Walked through Pikes Market, seen the king crab legs...$24.99/lb. I was in awe seeing how huge the legs were! I'd love to see a whole crab in person.

TruckDriver

Quote from: 68isgr8 on April 11, 2007, 01:18:38 AM
I'd love to see a whole crab in person.

Read this link. Very interesting. They don't weight as much as they look. Kinda suprized me.

http://www.fishermansexpress.com/faqs.html

"What is the difference between snow crab and king crab?
Snow crab are also known as "tanner" or "opilio" crab. Opilio crab are the smallest variety, with an average weight of 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. Tanner crab are larger, weighing 2 or 3 pounds when mature. Both of these varieties of snow crab lack the spines which cover king crab. King crab are the crab that Alaska is famous for. I have seen king crab as large as 18 pounds, and with a leg-span of more than 6 feet!"
:o :o :o
PETE

68isgr8

Wow, thanks for the link. Great pictures! Maybe because I live in a small community and the grocery stores don't think they'll sell, but I never see the mid-sections for sale--just the legs.  :shruggy:

TruckDriver

I like eating fish, but all the other sea food I don't like :-X   So, it doesn't matter to me.
PETE