News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

halfway decent alternative to chrome

Started by 1BAD68, April 02, 2007, 03:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1BAD68

I dont have the funds for new bumpers or rechroming right now so I picked up a can of this spray paint just to get my bumpers to shine a little for the summer and I am really amazed at what it did.
Its called Duplicolor Chrome, see the pics but i'm telling you its 100 times nicer looking in person. Definately a good alternative if you have a driver.
I'm thinking if I wetsand and polish, they'll look almost just like chrome.

CharlieCharger

not quite like chrome but its getting close...could you put some type of clearcoat spray over it and make it a little more reflective? ,it would work ..if they have such a thing ofcourse.  :yesnod:
Earth. Even the word sounded strange to me now... unfamiliar. How long had I been gone? How long had I been back? Did it matter? I tried to find the rhythm of the world where I used to live. I followed the current. I was silent, attentive, I made a conscious effort to smile, nod, stand, and perform the millions of gestures that constitute life on earth. I studied these gestures until they became reflexes again. But I was haunted by the idea that I remembered her wrong -Solaris

mikepmcs

wow, I think it looks awesome. :2thumbs:
Kind of like NorwayCharger's 68. 

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Silver R/T

it wont work, itll look like aluminum. That's all what it is...aluminum pigmented paint.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

TruckDriver

Once that paint gets weathered a bid, it will turn silver. I used it once. Clear coating it will turn it darker a bit.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

1BAD68

nope, I tried wetsanding but it turns dark grey.  Looks good enough to drive around with this summer, my bumpers were seriously ill. Maybe next winter the bumpers will get replaced.

Quote from: terrible one on April 02, 2007, 09:51:33 PM

Digging the flat black as well man! What did you paint her with?

Just sprayed with Duplicolor flat black paint, quick and cheap so I can drive it.

CB

amasing good result, thanks for the tip!
Would work nice on my flat black 69 too ;)
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

41husk

That looks good, I am painting my 73 bumpers the same color as the body.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

dodgecharger-fan

That looks pretty cool!

With the flat black, the overall effect works, IMO.

CharlieCharger

I do like it too..was the chrome on your charger bad? or just wanted to freshen it up?
Earth. Even the word sounded strange to me now... unfamiliar. How long had I been gone? How long had I been back? Did it matter? I tried to find the rhythm of the world where I used to live. I followed the current. I was silent, attentive, I made a conscious effort to smile, nod, stand, and perform the millions of gestures that constitute life on earth. I studied these gestures until they became reflexes again. But I was haunted by the idea that I remembered her wrong -Solaris

bordin34

Looks good for the price. How much does a can of that cost?

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

andy74

Quote from: Silver R/T on April 02, 2007, 09:17:15 PM
it wont work, itll look like aluminum. That's all what it is...aluminum pigmented paint.
this asshole never ceases to amaze me- if we all had a money tree then no one would need to be creative-silver is a dick

Stentboy

Quote from: andy74 on April 03, 2007, 02:51:24 PM
this asshole never ceases to amaze me- if we all had a money tree then no one would need to be creative-silver is a dick
Cute baby, enjoy her now because before you know it she will be 15, and not know you exist until she wants something.

Charger_Fan

I've tried that type of paint too. To help it last, make sure to rub lightly when you wash it. I rubbed mine too hard & most of it ended on my wash mitt. :-\
Looks good, though. :thumbs:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Silver R/T

Quote from: andy74 on April 03, 2007, 02:51:24 PM

wtf is your problem f**khole?? I just said what is true, it wont work and it didn't work cause Ive tried it before and I know what Im saying. If you got problem with me just pm me and we'll settle this. No need to be asshole just cause your wife doesnt put out.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Mike DC

I dig the chrome silver paint on the bumper, especially with the flat-black body.  Gives the car more of a "ready to get down to business" vibe.  With Hollywood lately, flat black is becoming the new orange.

---------------------------------------------

The chrome paints are getting better all the time. 

The best one I've ever seen is that "MirraChrome" stuff you have to buy mail-order.  I saw that stuff on a display once.  You literally wouldn't be able to tell the difference from a plated part unless you had a chromed piece in the same shape to hold right up next to it.  It's that good.

But "MirraChrome" is pretty complicated to use, and it's also expensive as hell.  It's probably not gonna replace traditional plating on metal parts any time soon.  It seems like it would be most useful for situations that are impossible/impractical to traditionally chrome plate (large plastic pieces, etc).

Charger_Croatia

At least this is good idea what to do as temporary fix. My front bumper is bad so I definitely need to do something with it.
'73 Charger with 400 (under restore)
2018 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid AWD Blue Sport

Corellian Corvette

I missed something - did you paint the WHOLE CAR flat black from a can? Sorry if I misinterpreted.

LL1 1967 Coronet

Your car actually looks very tough in this guise. The flat black with the silver painted bumper presentation reminds me of a really cool rat-rod (I wish there was a better word for that)Anyway, if you have a kickass motor, suspensions mods, modern brakes, and the right wheel/tire combo - - you have one really unique ride  :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA:  I wish I could see the rest of the car. Its definately a good look before you get'er done - - you could refer to that as your "test-n-tune paint scheme".