News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Deathproof? Not Quite

Started by terrible one, April 02, 2007, 01:33:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TripleBlackGator

Quote from: bull on April 04, 2007, 12:31:17 PM
Quote from: TripleBlackGator on April 04, 2007, 09:02:13 AM
Quote from: bull on April 04, 2007, 02:12:42 AM
Tarantino obviously respects old Mopars or they wouldn't the stars of the show.

It's official folks. We have all wondered into an insane asylum. Go ahead and try, just try to defend that comment. It can not be done.

Defend it or explain it? If you can't understand what I'm saying (because the point seems pretty obvious to me) I can' t help you. I left out the word 'be,' is that why you're confused? I'm wondering why you "wondered" into an insane asylum instead of "wandered."

Obvious to you and only you. I WANDER what your reply will be.
Malicious, vindictive, spiteful, cynical, pessimistic, sarcastic, & antagonistic. And those are my good traits!

chgr500

About 5 years ago I was offered some pretty decent money for my car.....a movie guy...wanted to smash up my car for a movie..I said NO!

Charger1973

Quote from: chgr500 on April 04, 2007, 08:29:19 PM
About 5 years ago I was offered some pretty decent money for my car.....a movie guy...wanted to smash up my car for a movie..I said NO!

Which movie? 

wetfeetmi

Oh my God, PEOPLE... Here is what you should do! If you like Tarantino and want to see classic Mopars smashed to bits, go see the movie. If you don't care for what Tarantino has done, don't see the movie. If the movie falls flat, he won't do it again. The public shall speak. Will history repeat itself? I don't know.  I feel Tarantino has lost his edge and I predict this will bomb.

chgr500

Quote from: Charger1973 on April 04, 2007, 08:34:14 PM

Which movie?

He didn't say nor did I ask...I work at a dealership and we have alot of movie fella's buying vehicles..I brought my car to work one day and he spotted it..He kept offering in $1000 increments...was getting hard to keep saying no......Would have been a movie out of Vancouver B.C. Canada...Hollywood north

bull

Quote from: TripleBlackGator on April 04, 2007, 08:13:50 PM
Quote from: bull on April 04, 2007, 12:31:17 PM
Quote from: TripleBlackGator on April 04, 2007, 09:02:13 AM
Quote from: bull on April 04, 2007, 02:12:42 AM
Tarantino obviously respects old Mopars or they wouldn't the stars of the show.

It's official folks. We have all wondered into an insane asylum. Go ahead and try, just try to defend that comment. It can not be done.

Defend it or explain it? If you can't understand what I'm saying (because the point seems pretty obvious to me) I can' t help you. I left out the word 'be,' is that why you're confused? I'm wondering why you "wondered" into an insane asylum instead of "wandered."

Obvious to you and only you. I WANDER what your reply will be.

You seem to be the only one confused but I'll try to put it a different way since I'm not sure if you're actually not getting it or just trying to be a PITA.

If you were trying to make a cool, action-filled slasher movie that focused primarily on women and cars, would you cast fat, homely women driving beat up Pintos and Matadors around or would you maybe try to fill it with sexy women and sexy cars? I guess it depends on whether you wanted people to buy tickets. I don't know how to put this any simpler.

bull

Quote from: chgr500 on April 04, 2007, 08:56:46 PM
Quote from: Charger1973 on April 04, 2007, 08:34:14 PM

Which movie?

He didn't say nor did I ask...I work at a dealership and we have alot of movie fella's buying vehicles..I brought my car to work one day and he spotted it..He kept offering in $1000 increments...was getting hard to keep saying no......Would have been a movie out of Vancouver B.C. Canada...Hollywood north

Good point. If people weren't willing to sacrifice their classic Mopars at the box office altar we wouldn't be having this conversation. Maybe the real question needs to be, who is selling these cars to Hollywood and why?

69bronzeT5

SAME! Except my car was sitting in the driveway and it was 3/4 primered black and a movie guy wanted to buy it because he wanted to smash it up in a movie also. He also wanted my dad's old triple black 1980 Monte Carlo. My dad told him to screw off. A few years later, my dads friend gave us the back tires and wheels that are on my 69 right now and amazingly enough, it came off a car out of that movie!!!
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

THE CHARGER PUNK

the lead singer(Trevor Guthrie) of soul decision wants to use our 68 for a music video, he is good friend of ours that my dad babysat as a kid :yesnod:(the tall one with longer shaggy blonde hair)

The70RT

Quote from: THE CHARGER PUNK on April 04, 2007, 11:57:54 PM
the lead singer(Trevor Guthrie) of soul decision wants to use our 68 for a music video, he is good friend of ours that my dad babysat as a kid :yesnod:(the tall one with longer shaggy blonde hair)

Now that would be cool as long as it came back unscathed.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

68chrgrwife

Look they have been killing Mopars from the beginning..I just watched a 1973 Movie called The Last American Hero with Jeff Bridges, Ned Beatty and Gary Busey. They mess up a few mopars in there.....and that was when they were new.......So what do you expect?  Yeah we all know it would be nice if they would choose another car to play with (maybe even the new charger),but as for a bad ass muscle car they are going with a mopar...and who can blame them...they are the best looking cars in the world!!!!!!
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
LOVING MY HUBBY: CHARGERMAN68
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER: SOLD :(
1968 DODGE CHARGER RT CLONE (OK, SO IT'S HUBBY'S BUT IT'S MINE TOO, RIGHT?)
2008 DODGE CHARGER
2005 DODGE MAGNUM R/T (YES IT'S GOTTA HEMI)!

THE CHARGER PUNK

Quote from: 68chrgrwife on April 05, 2007, 12:32:58 PM
Look they have been killing Mopars from the beginning..I just watched a 1973 Movie called The Last American Hero with Jeff Bridges, Ned Beatty and Gary Busey. They mess up a few mopars in there.....and that was when they were new.......So what do you expect?  Yeah we all know it would be nice if they would choose another car to play with (maybe even the new charger),but as for a bad ass muscle car they are going with a mopar...and who can blame them...they are the best looking cars in the world!!!!!!

exactly would you have rather seen a black fairlane chasing Mcqueen in his mustang or that badass 68 charger smashin the shit out of it and gettin big air :D

Ghoste

If it meant that movie producers wouldn't be all gung ho to destroy classic Mopars today for the sake of a few more stinking dimes in their pockets, then Hell, yes!  I would much rather have seen them use a stupid Fairlane.

Brock Samson

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Ghoste on April 05, 2007, 03:06:05 PM
If it meant that movie producers wouldn't be all gung ho to destroy classic Mopars today for the sake of a few more stinking dimes in their pockets, then Hell, yes!  I would much rather have seen them use a stupid Fairlane.

:iagree:

TripleBlackGator

I agree 100% but then I'm a Dodge Charger fan. I just thought everyone else here was too. My mistake.
Malicious, vindictive, spiteful, cynical, pessimistic, sarcastic, & antagonistic. And those are my good traits!

Shakey

I guess it was OK when they smashed up cars in some of the most popular movies mentioned on this site like Dirty Mary Crazy Larry, Bullit, Gone in 60 Seconds and Vanishing Point.   :shruggy:

bull

Quote from: TripleBlackGator on April 05, 2007, 06:57:26 PM

I agree 100% but then I'm a Dodge Charger fan. I just thought everyone else here was too. My mistake.

You're the only real Charger fan. ::)

Ghoste

What can I say?  When they did it 30 years ago, the cars were cheap and plentiful.  When they become cheap and plentiful again, I'll happily plug for all the Charger destruction Hollywood can bring on.

bull

Quote from: Shakey on April 05, 2007, 07:14:20 PM
I guess it was OK when they smashed up cars in some of the most popular movies mentioned on this site like Dirty Mary Crazy Larry, Bullit, Gone in 60 Seconds and Vanishing Point.   :shruggy:

It's ok to smash a Charger in a movie if you're young and seeing it was a pivotal point in your life when you decided the car was cool and you had to have one. But later, after you get one or are trying to then it's not ok.

As far as cheap and plentiful. These cars were never plentiful but the ones they use as stunt car typically are cheap because they are falling apart. However they are cool and I like to see them in movies just as much as the guys making the movies like to see them. Again, blame the sellers. Even so, the cars they used would just sit out in Billy Bob's cow pasture for another 30 years if Tarantino hadn't bought them. Which is worse?

Ghoste

I understand what you're saying Bull but if you told someone in 1973 that someday that car would be worth 60,000 dollars (or even 12,000), you'd have been locked away and in for some shock therapy.  I know it's hypocritical, but it seems strange to me to read the discussions about the value of these investments and commodities in the Mopar business and then watch them purposely destroyed for laughs.  And yes, Dirty Mary Crazy Larry is my favorite movie.  :'(

bull

Quote from: Ghoste on April 05, 2007, 07:26:31 PM
I understand what you're saying Bull but if you told someone in 1973 that someday that car would be worth 60,000 dollars (or even 12,000), you'd have been locked away and in for some shock therapy.  I know it's hypocritical, but it seems strange to me to read the discussions about the value of these investments and commodities in the Mopar business and then watch them purposely destroyed for laughs.  And yes, Dirty Mary Crazy Larry is my favorite movie.  :'(

See above for part of my retort. What I'm saying is that the cars used by Hollywood are not the $12k-$60k cars, they are the $1k-$5 rusted hlpag wannabe cars that some chump finally let loose of because a Hollywood prop guy offered him eight times his weight in Schlitz money for a something he'll never restore or sell to one of us.

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Shakey on April 05, 2007, 07:14:20 PM

In the original Vanishing Point, they didnt really wreck Challengers. They beat them up but technically didnt wreck them like most of the other movies. And if you all remember, the final crash scene...they used a 67 Camaro for that

Ghoste

I know they're using the cheap ones Bull, but I still find it wrong.  Sorry, but this is one where I don't think we'll find common ground. 
I wonder if Hardcore Racing would have destroyed that RT last summer if they didn't think they'd be able to make money off the stunt?  25 years ago, I'd have paid to watch it myself but today it just makes me want to puke.

Shakey

I guess the directors of these movies see people like us spending money on DVD's of the old movies that they wrecked the cool cars in and figure we would like it.  Hell, everytime one of these movies comes on TV a thread is started and the discussion begins as to how great these movies were.

I think the best comment was Bull's where he stated that he'd rather see a movie with hot chicks and cool cars than a movie with fat broads and Pintos.   :smilielol: