News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

acetone increases MPG?

Started by Stormhammer, September 09, 2005, 10:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver R/T

hmm interesting read, anyone try that
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

69bananabeast

how can such a small amount of additive increase MPG so much?
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318
1932 Ford Rat Rod   (under construction)

General Ryan

Would that be the stuff in  a little bottle you can get at the regular drug store/K-mart?

Telvis

I would be afraid to try it. I have trouble trusting stuff I read on the internet.

Chryco Psycho

I can`t see it hurting in a gas engine
I would have some concerns with the lubrication in a diesel injector pump but it is such a small amout it could work

Silver R/T

i guess it oxygenates gas even more? but thats just my guess, anyone got a beater than can try that on?

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Chryco Psycho

My friend is going to try it over the next 3-4 days

General Ryan

^kool, keep me posted, I'm interested in trying anything in increasing the mpg in my 440

Silver R/T

ya would be interested in outcome

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

69bananabeast

hope all goes well, I think everyone here could use that
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318

Vainglory, Esq.

I read about this on Moparts a while back.  It's supposed to have a good effect, but not amazing.  Also, you apparently can't run it in older cars because the acetone erodes certain parts.  Newer cars should fine though.

MoparYoungGun

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on September 10, 2005, 03:52:28 PM
My friend is going to try it over the next 3-4 days
Definitely keep us posted Neil.

69bananabeast

Quote from: Vainglory on September 10, 2005, 06:21:20 PM
I read about this on Moparts a while back.  It's supposed to have a good effect, but not amazing.  Also, you apparently can't run it in older cars because the acetone erodes certain parts.  Newer cars should fine though.

If you actually read the whole article it shows that it was used in a bunch of older cars and has been used since 1954  and never had problems .  Used it in one car for over 500k miles.  Also they left some of those components in gas with 10% acetone  (which is supposedly a hundred times what should be used) for months and saw no breakdown or eroding.
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318

Afflyer

??? I wonder if I could do this in my daily driver ('96 Ram).  I'm not driving faster than 60 MPH and I'm getting at least 21 MPG.

Bradley
Retired USAF C-130H3, C-130E, MC-130E, MC-130W Flight Engineer

1969 Charger 440/4bbl "Hemi Orange Mistress"
2009 Hemi Ram 1500 Sport Special Crew Cab "Black Betty"
2011 BMW X5 3.5i "Heidi"

Chryco Psycho

bull

This stuff works good for me: http://www.ethosnw.com/ I'm getting about 2 mpg better and I pass DEQ no problem.

69bananabeast

1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318

Chargerguy74

We used a lot of acetone in university. It burns cold. I've seen a guy poor it on his hand and light it on fire....for fun. It does evaporate very fast too. I wonder how it would react with the lubrication in the engine, because it removes everything from a surface.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

Drache

Anyone ever watch "Myth Busters"? Would be neat if they tried this! They bought an old engine and tried the sugar, coke, dish soap, etc in the gas tank to stop an engine... none of it worked.

They also tried the myth about cracking an egg in your rad as a temp measure to stop a leaking hole... damned if that didn't work!
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Chryco Psycho

Chargerguy74

Quote from: Drache on September 13, 2005, 11:58:44 PM
Anyone ever watch "Myth Busters"? Would be neat if they tried this! They bought an old engine and tried the sugar, coke, dish soap, etc in the gas tank to stop an engine... none of it worked.

They also tried the myth about cracking an egg in your rad as a temp measure to stop a leaking hole... damned if that didn't work!

I think the bleech killed the motor
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

martinihenry

Yeah, I'd be really carful with some of this stuff. Not just for the fact that it may damage seals, or other parts in your car's fuel system, but there's the health concerns too. The article mentions MEK, or Methyl Ethyl Ketone. This is one nasty solvent. While the known recongnized effects aren't totally documented, MEK has been recognized as a blood, liver, and kidney toxicant. It is known to cause birth defects such as Microcephaly and is a skin and resperatory irritant. Many in the medical field also believe it to be a carcenogen. Please use the utmost caution when messing around with this stuff.
1969 Dodge Charger 318 (2 doors only, thank you very much)
1972 Dodge W-200 4X4 "PowerWagon"
...Only Dodge in my garage!

69hemi

http://www.69hemi.com
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
1964 Hemi Superstock Dodge
02 Ram
95 Ram

Chryco Psycho

Chryco Psycho

My friend is closely logging his milage now & seems to think he is getting 10% better with acetone possibly more , , I will have better results shortly but it definatly looks like it works

Chryco Psycho

Charged

Before I go sticking shit down the throat of my engine...I, like so many others would probably like to see some credentials of this guy and his affiliated website. I cant find any. Ive looked, but not in total debth. However, the things I do see, appear to be credable. They are however challenging some huge topics that have everything against them. Such as hydrogen and ethenol being bad and stuff like that. Then I see a link to what boils down to them claiming a perpetual engine...and I qoute them:

"10. Thermal Efficiency (Carnot Cycle) is only a fraction of the total energy carried in your fuel. It is broken up like this: engine pumping losses, engine friction, chamber heat transfered to engine components, wasted fuel past the rings, wasted fuel out the exhaust and torque output. A diesel (constant pressure) might get 35-percent TE while a gasoline engine (constant volume) could get 20 to 25-percent TE. It is all about heat and how much heat gets turned into torque to move the vehicle. The perfect Carnot Engine in theory can get but 61-percent TE. That is the maximum possible from a piston-type internal combustion engine. We can easily boost TE by several percent with the methods given freely in SmartGas.net."

The first thing you learn in any physics class is that a perpetual engine is impossible. However, the above qoute prooves they have knowledge on that concept. I thought I caught them in a situation...but they pulled threw.

Im personally going to talk to some credable sources, because stuff like this you cant trust...especially ccoming off the internet. But I will say this...from an educated background in direct relations to this, its sounds legit. But again, I havent looked far in depth.