News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Does original headliner have jute under it????

Started by Mfr426, March 29, 2007, 05:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mfr426

I've searched under advance search and cant find the exact answer.

Did the factory put jute (or some other filler) under the headliner in between that and the roof?

Thanks all!

bordin34

My 74 had some annoying stuff in it that always found its way into my eyes. Probably jute.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Mfr426

Shakey

It had some sort of insulation between the headliner and roof.  When I took the headliner out of my car it was pretty much dust.  It was glued very well to the ceiling and it took a lot of time and elbow grease to get the glue off of the ceiling.  I would have to guess it was very similar, if not the same, as the jute padding under the carpet, maybe a bit lighter/thinner.

Mfr426

Paul 500

In my 68 it had foam with a material backing under the headliner (no sure if this is original) and heres a pic of under the headliner of my friends 69 500. Its the same stuff as whats on the firewall under the yellow foam with the card backing.
68 Charger R/T
69 Charger 500

Mfr426

rudyjrusa

Quote from: Shakey on March 29, 2007, 06:50:47 PM
It had some sort of insulation between the headliner and roof.  When I took the headliner out of my car it was pretty much dust.  It was glued very well to the ceiling and it took a lot of time and elbow grease to get the glue off of the ceiling.  I would have to guess it was very similar, if not the same, as the jute padding under the carpet, maybe a bit lighter/thinner.

i am presently trying to get the headliner insulation glue off of the roof.  what did you use to get the adhesive off??  i tried the 3M adhesive remover and it does not work too well.  you can buy the headliner insulation and glue it back if you want - numerous places have it.  i am not sure i want too put it back - what else can be used instead of insualtion??  thanks for any help.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Mfr426 on March 29, 2007, 05:45:22 PM

Did the factory put jute (or some other filler) under the headliner in between that and the roof?

YES... as stated and pics show. Glued on to roof
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Shakey

Quote from: rudyjrusa on March 31, 2007, 08:02:58 AM

i am presently trying to get the headliner insulation glue off of the roof.  what did you use to get the adhesive off??  i tried the 3M adhesive remover and it does not work too well.  you can buy the headliner insulation and glue it back if you want - numerous places have it.  i am not sure i want too put it back - what else can be used instead of insualtion??  thanks for any help.

Sandpaper and elbow grease and I never did get it all off. 

Once I got it to the point where I couldn't get anymore of the glue off I cleaned it with Eastwood's Pre and then I sprayed oxide primer and then Lizard Skin. 

I might add insulation between the headliner and Lizard Skin but I haven't made up my mind yet.  I'm concerned with the glue letting go over time and the insulation coming loose causing the headliner to sag.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,26217.0.html

Dodge Don

Quote from: Shakey on March 31, 2007, 04:52:28 PM
Quote from: rudyjrusa on March 31, 2007, 08:02:58 AM

Sandpaper and elbow grease and I never did get it all off. 

Once I got it to the point where I couldn't get anymore of the glue off I cleaned it with Eastwood's Pre and then I sprayed oxide primer and then Lizard Skin. 

I might add insulation between the headliner and Lizard Skin but I haven't made up my mind yet.  I'm concerned with the glue letting go over time and the insulation coming loose causing the headliner to sag.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,26217.0.html

I had insulation/glue on my 70 as well. It all "disappeared" when I had the shell dipped. I think it "re-appeared" in Shakey's drinking water.