News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Front wheel hub.

Started by 69XP383, June 28, 2007, 10:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69XP383

I need a front wheel hub for a 69 with drums. Where in the world can I order one? I've been searching for the last 30 minutes with no luck  :shruggy:

Ghoste

Are you talking about the dust cap that covers the wheel bearings?

69XP383

No, I actually need the hub that the wheel studs seat into. It's about 6 inches in diameterand it's retained on the spindle by a large bolt and cotter pin...probably has a bearing or two seated inside it as well.

Ghoste

It's normally pressed into the drum isn't it?

69XP383

I guess I would have no idea there, if I had to describe it, it looks exactly like the rear drums do, only instead of an axle, when you remove the front drum it has the spindle/hub assembly.

Ghoste

What is holding your front drums on?

69XP383

Same as rear; front drum opening seats over same diameter seat on the center of the hub.

Ghoste

I must be getting too tired because I'm missing something here.  That hub and drum should be one assembly.  The hub can be knocked out of the drum, but that's a bad thing.  Is the hole in your drum 6 inches in diameter? 

69XP383

Ditto, too tired,

I'll check it later and p/m you if I have to, but the drum is separated from the hub...wait, now it might be making sense, the passenger side was alreay separated, and all messed up, the left one might have been messed up by me pounding on it; how do you actually remove the front drums? And remember, you are responding to a moron who snapped off three studs on the left side rear...after being warned early on that they were left threaded; I bought this car in pieces; and it's part of the reason why taking so long getting it back together.

Previous owners didn't help much either; half assed morons! I'll suck it up and say I messed this one up. I know absolutely zero about MOPAR's. All the hard things seem easy and vice versa....if this is the case; where do I get an entire front drum assembly x2 :shruggy:

Ghoste

Yep, you've pounded the center out.  I'm not sure if they can be pressed back in or not.  To remove the drum, you have take the spindle nut and wheel bearing off.  You often have to back the shoes off first. 

69XP383

Ghoste

I don't know how hard you were hitting it but it may have been in poor enough shape that it didn't take much force.  In that case, you don't want that drum on there anyway.  I've knocked a couple out by accident myself so don't feel bad.
As for replacing it, it depends on what diameter and width it is.  Some are not too hard to find and others are impossible.  If it's a 10 incher, try the usual auto part store suspects first.

69XP383

Thanks Ghoste,

Yeah, I was figuring that I was gonna get new brakes all around, just not so painfully slow. My Only real question now is do I just get the drums, or do I specifically ask for the entire hub/drum assembly. The last owners smacked up the hub on the passenger side pretty good. It will work, but I'm afriad it's a little on the warped side.

8WHEELER

I know you can no longer buy 11x3 in brake drums new, yes the hubs are usually always pressed together.

Now if you have 10in drums you might be able to find then new from Napa, I have not checked on them.
But there are lots of 10in drums in salvage yards and maybe ebay, but I cant find any right now.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Ghoste

As mentioned, just get the size and ask your parts dealer for front drums (rears too I guess, if you are doing all four corners).  You could check your local Dodge dealer but you likely won't have much luck.  Does Year One still list them on their site?  If YO still list them, they are buying them from somebody.