News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

having a charger at the age of 17

Started by charger0740, March 29, 2007, 09:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger0740

I have a 73' primered gray charger body is not prefect and the 318 is tired and smokes for a few min. after starting it up...I work with a kid with a 91' or so carmaro 305 TPI and he just cant shut up about it and saying how bad my charger is i get that from atleast half the school feels the same way :rotz:..I was just wondering if any of the other younger board members have the same troubles in their area? I know its not a picture perfect car but i am 17 i have worked on it and have bought everytihng myself and my parents don't give me a brand new car like other kids in my school.  I was just wondering what other people go through wiht their chargers just b/ people ahve no respect for older cars.

red72chrgr

Hey man, don't let it get to ya. You're to be commended for having a car that you worked for and fixed up by yourself. Those other guys are just jealous, you have something different and they don't. I'm sure the young guns on here will chime in. We have some good people on here.
Nothing personal, just business

69bronzeT5

Quote from: charger0740 on March 29, 2007, 09:01:15 PM
I have a 73' primered gray charger body is not prefect and the 318 is tired and smokes for a few min. after starting it up...I work with a kid with a 91' or so carmaro 305 TPI and he just cant shut up about it and saying how bad my charger is i get that from atleast half the school feels the same way :rotz:..I was just wondering if any of the other younger board members have the same troubles in their area? I know its not a picture perfect car but i am 17 i have worked on it and have bought everytihng myself and my parents don't give me a brand new car like other kids in my school.  I was just wondering what other people go through wiht their chargers just b/ people ahve no respect for older cars.

Atleast your Charger is running. My 69 is still in resto. And also, Im 14 and so far I havent heard any people talking about my car badly
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Highbanked Hauler

Been There Done That ,  I"m  58 now and I went through the same  crap when I was in school, it never changes, you know  you are on the right track  and thats all that counts. :2thumbs:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

moparguy01

oh i got all sorts of crap for my choice of cars in high school. keep in mind i graduated in 2001. My first daily driver was a 1949 International KB-3 truck, followed by a 1964 Dodge Polara. This was also right when the import cars were getting huge in the area. so i had the car people laughed at. un til they raced the polara. (a 5.13 spool rear end will make even the most doggish of 318 polyspherical engines seem fast. hehe)

Dont let them get you down. If you really want to screw with them, print off the KBB value of your car and of that kids 91 camaro and compare them. i bet your charger is worth more.  :icon_smile_big:

Mean 318

I got my 70 Coronet when I was 15 and got lots of shit from all my friends... ricer guys! It smoked just like yours, rust, and it leaked just about everything! But I now have a 500 HP 440 in it and all of those ricer guys wont even race me!

hemihead

My son is a Junior in H.S. and 17. He has a 73 Rallye 340 and it isn't on the road yet.All the kids at his school are jealous and say he has the hottest ride in town.They are green with envy.I went to the same school in the early 80's and got no respect being 1 of 3 guys proud to display the pentastar.Everyone else was driving their Z28's ,T/A's,and Rustangs ( the lame jock cars) but I'm laughing now!!!!
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

Manfred318

Don't let em bring you down about it. There just jealous that you drive a kick ass car and they have a boring old camaro, mustang, etc. I got a little crap in school when I started driving the Charger in 10th grade. Mainly from the jock dousche bags driving their Camaros, Mustangs, ricers, and this one kid who drove a '74 Nova. He even started a rumor once that he kicked my ass in a race. ::) I called his bluff and he never said a word about it again.
Sport the Charger. Drive it with pride fellow MoPar brother. When someone says something to you say "well at least its not a Camaro, Mustang, etc.

Current MoPars:
1968 Charger. 318 Out of commission:(
1975 Dart Swinger. 225 Pops daily ride.
1990 Dodge Ram. 360FI My daily ride.
2007 Magnum R/T. 5.7 Family wagon.

6670charger

You'll learn this on your own as you get older.  The ones who spend the most time giving you crap are the ones who are the most jealous of you or what you have.  You have a really cool car, and it drives them nuts that they don't.  The only way they can feel good about themselves, or their own cars is to knock yours down.  In another five years, many of these same guys will be the ones who have nothing, and their lives going nowhere.  In another five years, your car will be better than it is today and will probably kick the collective butts of those who are jeering you now.

You, in the mean time, will have learned to appreciate what hard work and sacrifice can bring.  Your car, and your parents, will have taught you the value of these things.  If you listen to their quiet lessons now, you'll be a much better person for the rest of your life.

Be proud of yourself.  Be proud of your car.  There is none other like it.  There is none other like you.
Proudly Confusing The Crap Out Of People Since 1963

Forza

If you like the car who cares what the douche bags at school say. Keep working on it and when your out tearin' up the streets make them remember it. ;D It takes a real loser to make fun of a guys ride.

Charger1973

Hey theres nothing wrong with driving a primer grey 73 Charger!

I bought my first Charger (a yellow '73) the same month I turned 18 back in 1998.  I was already out of school at that point but no one ever said anything bad about my car and I drove the wheels off that thing for 2 years straight.  Even if they would have it wouldnt have mattered.  I had all kinds of fun with that car...   :D

CaptMarvel

Yep good advice, dont let it worry you none...I always drove a Mopar, even back in HS, a Power Wagon. I used to get that anti-Chrysler crap too, like alot of us here. The main thing is, keep on track with what you like and dont worry about the mainstream lemmings out there who have to have what is popular, I guarantee you've got the best car in your school.. :icon_smile_wink:

69bronzeT5

Im getting anti-Dodge stuff over at this other site. Heres some of the things people have said:

"$h!tty old dodge cars"
"im so sorry, did your dad like create dodge or something? tell him he sucks b@ll$ at building cars."

bmoparmofo

It seems like todays youth loves the rice burner,my first ride was a 68 cuda with a 318, damn I still miss that car,I got the its a bread and butter motor etc...I did a hole shot one day down the street next to the school at about 3:00, My cuda became possesed for some reason, she went curb to curb suregrip style! no suregrip involved but after they saw her on that freak moment, no one said another bread and butter comment about her, damn I miss that car...... :rotz:
69 charger 383 t5, 67 newport 383, 67 newport custom 383

Bones68charger

A kid when I was in high school gave me crap about my Charger and he drove a gay purple Neon. Today my carburetor is worth more then that pos. Don't let them get you down. They are just jealous like everyone has said. High school does not matter all that much anyway. I am a teacher now, and it makes me sick listening to what some students say. I have come to realize that teenagers are some of the dumbest people on earth.

I feel like Mr. Hand off of Fast Times at Ridgemont High and that scares the hell out of me!!!

69bronzeT5

Ya figures Im all alone on this website defending Mopars. Even this guy with the username "Dodgezilla" is dissing Dodge. And now there saying I dont own a 69 Charger and its probally my dad's car...which it isnt!

71ChallengeHer

I've taken crap for many years for driving Mopars.  I use to work at a B/S and almost everyday my boss would ask " Why do you drive that ugly purple Cuda "  He was a big Vette man. Guess what he bought a 66 Hemi  4 speed  Satellite.  It's his favorite car now.  Be different and unique.  I don't care what anyone says about my love of Mopars.   Even at work now.  My boss gives me my pay check in an envelope says " Miss Mopar "  He thought I would get mad.  Why would I get mad?  I took it as a compliment.  ;)

moparguy01

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on March 29, 2007, 11:37:00 PM
Ya figures Im all alone on this website defending Mopars. Even this guy with the username "Dodgezilla" is dissing Dodge. And now there saying I dont own a 69 Charger and its probally my dad's car...which it isnt!

its your car so dont worry about it. My experience is that with half the younger kids who drive nice cars all of them are in daddy's name too. and daddy pays insurance and gas.

I diss Dodge all the time. I own one, I'm allowed to diss them.  :icon_smile_big: Truth be told there is something from each car manufacturer that I just really dont like. and i do mean EVERY manufacturer.

I got alot of crap for my choice in cars. but I kept at it. and actually it was about 3 years ago i ran into one of the kids from HS who mocked my old "junk" and he was still driving the riced out acura he had in HS, it was completely clapped out, and looked to be on its last legs. i recognized him and smiled and said "I guess my old junk is nicer than your shit now aint it?" I was driving my charger at the time.

They'll get theres one day. and it'll be fun as hell to do it to them. Trust me. till then just dont let them get you down. Life is too short to sweat the little things.

Rolling_Thunder

i purchased my charger when i was 15...     didnt smoke, no rust, had paint...     and i never got any crap about my car...     for two reasons...      i was one of the older kids in my class...   making me everyone's ride home...    and the upperclassmen didnt say shit because i was the 6'1 240lb defensive tackle....       :icon_smile_big:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

BATMAN

Most ricers don't even know what the hell a charger is.  I tried to explain it to some ricer once but the guy had no idea what I was talking about.  Sad part was that was at autozone when I was looking for a part....now I call it ricerzone and don't shop there.  I bet you those guys don't either don't know what a Charger is or they are just jealous.  Plus those 305 TPI camaros and firebirds are all over.  Seems like everyone has one and they are really cheap.  They make an ok daily driver but they are nothing like a charger.

Stick with your Charger....don't go sell it for a camaro or ricer.  Owning a Charger is an experience like nothing else.............   Plus you said what your camaro buddies are saying about your car, but what are the girls saying???

Harlow

I haven't gotten any flak for my '68 Sport Satellite 383 from anyone at school (I'm 17/Junior), except my friends crackin' jokes about it not being drivable yet, but I'm sure I will once I start driving it (but f*&k 'em, I'm moving anyways) . I think its that most kids have no idea how a car works or what it takes to get a project car and make it drivable again, they just see it as an old POS. I go to school with a lot of rich kids (thanks god I'm moving back to AZ this summer), and a lot of them got newer cars (audis and one kid drives a 2006 mustang), but no one has any performance mods or have the capability to even install them. I think its just that kids don't understand the older cars or why you would want to fix up an older car when their dad can buy them a brand new car off the lot (and then pay for the repairs when they wreck it). I say don't let it get you and keep workin on your car, get the engine running right and smoke that '91 Camaro!

P.S. Your car looks great (yeah, its not a cherry show car, but your 17 and yours looks a hell of alot better than mine, and I'm in the same boat having to pay for everything myself.

Almost street ready, I got a used set of magnums I haven't put on yet:

The bad side (body work soon):

jasonfromIKILLYA

What's up man.  I got my 73 when I was 16 and I grew up as the sole longhair in WHITELAND Indiana.  I know exactly how you feel.  I was broke as shit and bought it beat up, bondo-ed up, and with a beat up 318.  I named it the Mustang Killer due to the same shit you're getting.  I spent all my money between my band and my car and eventually, it was a Mustang Killer.  Still looks like shit but that's another story.  The bottom line here is something that changed my life once I really understood it:  NO ONE YOU KNOW OR DEAL WITH NOW WILL MATTER AT ALL IN 2 YEARS.  Decide what you want to be, and completely ignore everyone else.  I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but I now live in NYC, work in the music industry, am making the best music of my life, and hopefully soon, my charger will join me.  Most of the guys that gave me shit still live in Indiana with their moms, and/or the girl they married right out of highschool to replace their mom cause they had no idea what to do when their football/basketball career didn't pan out.  (no offense to any former football/basketball players here)  Define yourself now while you still can and let them all wake up at 40 wondering what happened to their lives.  "Regret is only the result of falling prey to fear of losing comfort"
"Great souls have always received violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Einstein

2Gunz

Putting money into a ricer is a waste of time and effort. Dump $20,000 into a ricer and when you go to sell it it will be worth book value or less.

Put $20,000 into a whipped out, POS, good for nothing rat trap of a dodge.....

And you might get close to getting you money back if you sell. And better yet you will have one killer ride.

Plus as a bonus it alot cheaper to make big cubes go fast.

And 20 years for now you car will be worth a mint. And the ricer will be worth $300 as scrape metal.

So forget the guys at school that harrass ya.

And the Girls, there is always an angle, you just have to figure it out and work it.

Bullit_68

What everyone here has said is true.Don,t listen to those guys because they are actually jealous.It doesn,t matter what kind of shape your charger is in right now it,s still driveable and it,s a classic something they,re cars will never be.It,s funny because when i bought my 68  3 years ago it was pretty beat up and the chevy and ford guys at work would give me a hard time about it.But now it,s starting to come together and they see how popular these cars are now and how much they,re worth half them want to buy it.I just laugh at them and say it,s not for sale.

Charger_Croatia

Quote from: 6670charger on March 29, 2007, 10:48:37 PM
You have a really cool car, and it drives them nuts that they don't.  The only way they can feel good about themselves, or their own cars is to knock yours down.  In another five years, many of these same guys will be the ones who have nothing, and their lives going nowhere.  In another five years, your car will be better than it is today and will probably kick the collective butts of those who are jeering you now.

Be proud of yourself.  Be proud of your car.  There is none other like it.  There is none other like you.

:iagree:  Well said!
'73 Charger with 400 (under restore)
2018 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid AWD Blue Sport

charger0740

thanks for the advice and complements guys..I was just wondering if other people went through the same stuff and I guess you do just becuase chevy guys are jealous ;D

Forza

Hey if you really wanna prove your point go to kelly blue book and show them the appreciation/depreciation of your charger to their tuners. New cars these days drop down in price the second they leave the lot, old news I know. I love chargers, everything about them,  and there are other cars that I would love to own but I can guarantee in 4 years when I go to trade in my 2003 Mustang I'll be lucky to get half what I paid for.

Bottom line is, if your happy in what your driving thats all that matters. Those kids aren't the ones paying for your charger. ;)

charger0740

its mostly the jocks that give me a hard time all the auto shop kids appreciate it. I am in first period and they announced the names for the yearbook the nicest dressed and all that...when they got to nicest vehicle I heard my name..I couldn't beleive there was enough people that voted for me that I would win. ;D

Mean 318

Congrats on the best car! Thats awesome! I lost to a kid in a 06  Chevy ::) Thanks to dad... But I had more people tell me they liked my car and my truck! :icon_smile_big: P.S. you should toss up a few more pics of that charger ya got! I am sure I am not alone in wanting to see more pics!

Musicman

Hey Kid... I see those same idiots that are laughing at you, in my rear view mirror every time the light turns green. Just keep working on your car son, and someday soon you'll be laughing at them, right along side the rest of us. Their morons kid... media bred sheeple, and nothing more.

41husk

Hey Charger0740, I teach at a high school and can tell you, it doesnt matter what you drive or wear kids will try to find something to bother you.  If they see that it bothers you it will continue, if you just let it roll off your shoulders and don't let it bother you, it will stop.  At least about your car, they will try to find something, your hair cut, shoe brand, or girlfriend.  Kids will try to find the button the bothers someone the most and as soon as they find it they will continue to push it until it doesn't bother you any more.  Good luck, and keep working on that Charger.  I am parting out a 74 SE let me know if you can use anything before I send it to scrap.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Brock Samson

i had a lot of crap heaped on me cause my R/T had a 318 and that was from mopar folks at mopar shows,.. but i knew i'd have to pay my dues,..
they'd say.. "where's the beef"... and now?..
we get much respect.  :yesnod: